TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Check Charging System

Out on the track this weekend Gateway Motorsports in east STL with my '13 SS. Was getting up to about 135-140 mph on the straight, 4th gear, 6500 RPM. By the 2nd day, I kept getting a warning message, "check charging system" and the small battery icon light would come on. After the engine slowed down past 2500 RPM, the message and light would disappear.

I spoke with one of the driving instructors who drives a '13 Boss 302. He said he had the same issue in his car and that the alternators they put in these cars can't handle the high RPMs we run them at on track days. I drove 4.5 hours home from the track and never saw the light, only when I put the engine into high RPMs on the track. I have 41K miles on the car and at least 15 track days, all with the original alternator. I went ahead and ordered a new alternator from Ford dealer ($370) and will have them do some diagnostic tests on it this week.

Anyone else ever see this kind of issue?

Out on the track this weekend Gateway Motorsports in east STL with my '13 SS. Was getting up to about 135-140 mph on the straight, 4th gear, 6500 RPM. By the 2nd day, I kept getting a warning message, "check charging system" and the small battery icon light would come on. After the engine slowed down past 2500 RPM, the message and light would disappear.

I spoke with one of the driving instructors who drives a '13 Boss 302. He said he had the same issue in his car and that the alternators they put in these cars can't handle the high RPMs we run them at on track days. I drove 4.5 hours home from the track and never saw the light, only when I put the engine into high RPMs on the track. I have 41K miles on the car and at least 15 track days, all with the original alternator. I went ahead and ordered a new alternator from Ford dealer ($370) and will have them do some diagnostic tests on it this week.

Anyone else ever see this kind of issue?

Supposedly RPM's are the killer of these alternators. The link below shows what many have found to be the fix...........

http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

R

Supposedly RPM's are the killer of these alternators. The link below shows what many have found to be the fix...........

http://www.billetproshop.com/product/alternator-pulley-underdrive-shelby-gt500/

R

Awesome, thanks!! I will order one and see what it can do for me. In the meantime, here is the track I was on:

https://youtu.be/QQX1Jbx5nJM