TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby S7 Supercar?

JeffJ

Hey why not? I know it wouldn't happen as SAI has stated that they would not be an actual manufacturer again. But hey, here's the opportunity to purchase all of the rights to the Saleen S7 and the remaining inventory for a possible bargain price.....however...not likely....still would be cool

Saleen Selling All Rights To The S7 Supercar For Much-Needed Cash:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/saleen-selling-all-rights-to-the-s7-supercar-for-124842027737.html

Lots of great cars have come from Saleen but the guy is a perpetual entrepreneur. His company's have made millions and lost millions several times with both good and bad investments. He and Malcolm Bricklin helped bring us the Yugo (well, I think Saleen work with the Yugo), and then tried to do the same with Chery out of China. Both from my limited perspective are what cost him the most. Both ventures failed miserably.

The second Saleen decided to build the S7, his downfall began. He took his Company Public to raise the needed money to build the S7 and then he got the boot from the Company because of the S7. Maybe getting rid of the S7 might change his luck.

There may be relief in recently proposed regulation changes that make new rules for low volume manufacturers, but I doubt a S7 could be resurrected without meeting <year of manufacture> safety and EPA results. It would be cost prohibitive for such a small volume to upgrade it to modern standards. The existing frames are more of a curiosity piece... Someone could finish them as a bona fide race car though, and to make a hybrid LMP2 class car could be interesting.

There may be relief in recently proposed regulation changes that make new rules for low volume manufacturers, but I doubt a S7 could be resurrected without meeting <year of manufacture> safety and EPA results. It would be cost prohibitive for such a small volume to upgrade it to modern standards. The existing frames are more of a curiosity piece... Someone could finish them as a bona fide race car though, and to make a hybrid LMP2 class car could be interesting.

Fisker could do something really cool with those Cars.

• 2 months later...

Lots of great cars have come from Saleen but the guy is a perpetual entrepreneur. His company's have made millions and lost millions several times with both good and bad investments. He and Malcolm Bricklin helped bring us the Yugo (well, I think Saleen work with the Yugo), and then tried to do the same with Chery out of China. Both from my limited perspective are what cost him the most. Both ventures failed miserably.

Whomever winds up buying Saleen would be smart to keep the brand and also bring the S7R back to the racetrack. I doubt seriously that Shelby would be interested.... a whole lotta debt there right now.

The S7 would no longer be competitive. Parts of it may be reusable as an upgrade but the original cars won't cut it any more. It's doubtful any privateer would have the money to invest.

Does anyone know what Saleen is hoping to raise from the sale? It's not like you are getting a bunch of ready to Race / Sale Cars, more like Tooling, Molds, some Parts, some Chassis, and maybe a complete Car..........I am thinking you could probably get it all for less than $500K.

Does anyone know what Saleen is hoping to raise from the sale? It's not like you are getting a bunch of ready to Race / Sale Cars, more like Tooling, Molds, some Parts, some Chassis, and maybe a complete Car..........I am thinking you could probably get it all for less than $500K.

Salem (edit autocorrect got me Saleen) isn't selling it. It's a private equity firm.

Archived