TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing Stripes On My Shelby Gt-H

huntergrusd13

My stripes on my 2007 Shelby GT-H have badly faded so I ordered new stripes to replace them. I took my car to a body shop yesterday and dropped it off and the guy called and sent me pictures that when he started to remove the stripes, the black paint was taken off by the stripe.

Based off what I have read on here, this does not seem normal and I honestly don't know what I should do. If this has happened to anyone, what advice would you give?

What could be the reason the paint was peeled off?

Thanks for any help or info

This did not happen when I replaced mine either and they were in bad shape. My body shop guy used what he called an eraser. I think it is a type of wheel on a buffer.

First time I've ever heard of this happening.

I don't know, I lost some of my paint when we removed my stripes also..... :confused::hysterical:

But seriously, the eraser mentioned above is the only way to go I think. I've used it on many vinyl stripes with great success and no damage to the paint.

Paint%20003_zpsa1vgrqus.jpg

The eraser mentioned here will NOT work on plastic parts - only metal. Too much vibration and heat, I'm told. My car's black paint was damaged with stripe removal, so I painted the entire car and took it as an opportunity to improve the hole thing (:

IMG_20130108_160810.jpg

IMG_20130123_140253.jpg

Be very careful with your hood. Chemical strippers or mechanical removal that damages through the gel coat will provide you with a lifetime supply of swear words.

Must not know what they are doing. I use a Heat Gun. Just enough to heat / soften the stripe and I use a small plastic Spatula (same one I use for cooking). It does not scratch the paint.

Must not know what they are doing. I use a Heat Gun. Just enough to heat / soften the stripe and I use a small plastic Spatula (same one I use for cooking). It does not scratch the paint.

I use a hair blow dryer. If it's not hot enough to burn hair, it won't melt the paint.

That hoods been repainted and the paint and clear was not completely cured before the new stripe was applied.

I was thinking something like that.... rental car, hurry up and get back out on the lot. We can't make any money waiting to do it right.

I was thinking something like that.... rental car, hurry up and get back out on the lot. We can't make any money waiting to do it right.

Or on that particular car, the stripes could have also been applied at Shelby without full cure of the paint. Remember, these hoods were both painted and striped at SAI during this process which all happened very quickly. I would guess that the shop will have no such problems on any of the factory panels. I myself would try the 3M eraser on the hood and see how that goes. I've probably gone through 10 of those wheels on various cars and have never had any issue with causing damage to paint if on metal or any other material, plastics of door handles, rubber bumpers or other. I've removed many a stripe with the eraser.

Also, I go to school in California and have my car out there, could this be a reaction of the stripes be due to the salt water air? If it is, any suggestions how to prevent it from happening again or is it inevitable? Thanks for all the information

Also, I go to school in California and have my car out there, could this be a reaction of the stripes be due to the salt water air? If it is, any suggestions how to prevent it from happening again or is it inevitable? Thanks for all the information

Not a reaction to California air...

The paint on the hood was definitely applied improperly; they test these paints at 1 day, 3 day, 7 day, 14 day and of course 30 day adhesion for automotive. You typically see these kind of adhesion failures when full cure is not achieved, though they aren't going to wait 30 days by any means that's just kind of a rule for waiting before you start detailing and waxing.

My guess would be either it was repainted, as mentioned, or the clear was applied far too early and the air cure of the paint was interrupted because of the clear - or, because that would be a factory failure, I'd say it was repainted and not given proper time.For once, I wouldn't really blame the shop on this one, but it is very unfortunate.

My guess would be either it was repainted, as mentioned, or the clear was applied far too early and the air cure of the paint was interrupted because of the clear - or, because that would be a factory failure, I'd say it was repainted and not given proper time.For once, I wouldn't really blame the shop on this one, but it is very unfortunate.

Do you mean a Shelby factory failure? These hoods were painted in house at Shelby. How quickly the program was put in motion, it would not be surprising at all if the stripes were applied not long after painting of the hoods on some of the cars. I certainly wouldn't think that the future removal of the stripes would have been on their minds at that point in time, or if the paints were fully cured before the application.

Do you mean a Shelby factory failure? These hoods were painted in house at Shelby. How quickly the program was put in motion, it would not be surprising at all if the stripes were applied not long after painting of the hoods on some of the cars. I certainly wouldn't think that the future removal of the stripes would have been on their minds at that point in time, or if the paints were fully cured before the application.

I would sooner assume repainted than a factory failure, you would think there would be more stories if it were a factory problem.

It's also probably not a matter of just picking a bad paint for the job, again I'm sure we'd hear more about this.

Maybe Hertz had it repainted for some reason.

Archived