TEAM SHELBY FORUM

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not suggesting anything here but guidance. Just something to think about.

The insurance industry makes money by not paying claims, and off-loading liability for a claim every chance it gets. They have an "agreed upon" set of specifications for everything an owner may modify on his own. The list agreed upon will show that a 8" wide wheel will "safely" allow for a 255/ wide tire, 265/ for 8.5". To my knowledge, no specification for sidewall has been set, but a /30 is the max you may expect to see available. Be involved in a claim serious enough to warrant a full inspection by the insurance companies concerned, or by the police, and an out of spec tire may become your worst enemy. Add to that, once a claim is denied, the customary reply to "why?" Is silence from the insurance company with mild reaction to threats of civil suit. It will cost you some out of pocket coins just to get the cause, and more for your "day in court".

On the lighter side, I have run 265/ on all four corners and enjoyed the snot out of my SGT, but I do wonder about shortening the life expectancy of some front end components. Guess that's part of the game.

Y'all be safe.

• 2 months later...

FWIW I moved up from the stock size of 235/50/18 to 255/45/18 6 months after I bought the car. That little extra width in the rear was the sweet spot for stock power levels - I can still spin em on launch if I want to, but otherwise once I'm going the tires hook in at full throttle and get all of the power to ground which is what I wanted from this car (I have an 08 GT500 for the days I want a wild spinning monster to drive). didn't need to go wider up front but I wanted to keep the same dimensions so I could rotate the tires regularly (that -1.5 of camber up front will eat up the insides of front tires if not properly rotated). The small width increase didn't negatively impact the nimbleness of the car while providing the optimal grip for the stock power levels so I was extremely please with that.

I have a 400HP FR Whipple kit waiting to go on the car when I get off my butt and do it, and I'm really hoping the 255's are still adequate at that point cause I think going any wider will take away from one of the strengths of the SGT - handling and nimble response to steering.

My experience is that wider tires do not much effect handling and nimbleness, assuming what you mean by those terms is the same as what I mean. A little extra pressure in the front tires, or a slightly larger rear anti-sway bar, will restore the percepion of responsive steering.

What declines is miles per gallon, as rolling resistance goes up. Not usually a major concern with cars like these.

The whipple kit is 550HP. I"m sure it can be detuned, but 255's will easily break loose with that kind of power. I would start looking at a larger wheel.

Oh yeh, at 550 the 255's will absolutely not handle the power. My GT500 has 275/18's out back and I can spin em all the way into 4th if I wish.

Archived