TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fading Stripes

Ok, firs tiff I'm a new Shelby owner. I purchased my '07 SGT. back in January. I know that the shelbys have had their problems with this but it's starting to get really bad. I contacted Shelby and they told me that due to the age of the vehicle I am out of warranty. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help reguvinate the stripes? Or should I just have the car restriped? Also what is the cost to have it done? Thanks!

As was mentioned in your other thread, this is not a new subject. Please search for the old topics on this subject.

There are a few that have had their stripes painted. The difference is that the painted stripes will never fade again, and if you replace the vinyl, eventually they will and you'll be back at it again. It can be challenging to find the paint code that matches but again, that's somewhere already.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!

I'm sure JeffJ will add his comments when he sees this. He had the stripes painted on his GTH and they looked awesome. The depth and contrast of paint over vinyl will surely be as striking with any color combination. The vinyl, no matter how fresh, looks "flat" compared to a good paint job.

I'm sure JeffJ will add his comments when he sees this. He had the stripes painted on his GTH and they looked awesome. The depth and contrast of paint over vinyl will surely be as striking with any color combination. The vinyl, no matter how fresh, looks "flat" compared to a good paint job.

I know Jer had his painted on his white GT/SC and buried under lots of clear.... and I know Jer has the paint code!

When I had my SGT, I had mine replaced under warranty from my local Ford dealer. Cost was about $1600. The replacements sent by Shelby were definitely better quality. I have a KR now and dread the thought of replacing them when the time comes. So far, they are holding up very well. I would consider having them painted. Paint simply looks better than vinyl. Either way good luck with your decision.

I had mine painted 5 years ago and it was the best decision I made. They weren't bad at all but I didn't want to wait until they were bad. Any paint guy should be able to match the paint to the vinyl ones.

Cost me 1500 to have them painted and have my deep draw hood installed.

HI i have 3 Shelby GT's that I have had the stripes painted on the cars. Any good shop can pull the right color by using the side stripes for the match. Most good shops have computer equipment that can determine the exact mix. One tip is to have them leave the scoop alone...remove it and them have them reattach it....it did not match the sheen on the stripes when new. The other thing I did was have them mask the stripes exactly as the tape stripe except in the license plate area. The stripes should start and stop before getting to window trim on the roof (for example). In order to keep my cars looking original I did not have them blend the clear coat. I had them mask and shoot the stripes on top of the car so I have a ridge just like a tape stripe...then apply clear coat. Mine have been going strong for a number of years and no fade or issues. Don't waste your money on tape stripes.

Bobert

Painting is the only way to go IMO. I had them painted on my wife's GT-C and they turned out great. Will do the same thing on my 2007 SGT when they start to go bad. Amazingly they are still in good shape. Oh yes It cost $1300 to have the stripes done at my local body shop.

If you get them painted on I would suggest getting the 3M paint protection film (clear bra) the stripes hold up well but if your car is a DD or you spend a lot of time on the highway, sooner or later you'll get paint chips from rocks and such. Better to take the precaution and protect them from the beginning. Mine are painted as well, but I do have some chips like I said.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/3m-protection-film-hood-0509.html

Jeff

Archived