TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Advice On 40Th Anniversary Emblem And Csm Dash Emblem

After buying my Hertz Shelby and a lot of questions asked and answered (Thanks to Team Shelby members) I discovered the previous owner after Hertz never contacted Hertz for the coveted documentation, and never registered the Shelby in the Shelby registry. After contacting Hertz they sent me a wealth of information and documentation that they had held all these years waiting for the owner to contact them. The same with Shelby. I registered my Shelby and the same happened I was rewarded with a bunch of great pieces that they also have held for many years to complete my Shelby. It was like Christmas in July. Here is my question I know the 40th Anniversary 1966-2006 emblem is pricey in the after market, small and mounted with 3M tape. I would like to mount it, but I'm a little nervous since it is mounted in the rear of the car and appears to be easy to remove. Do many owners have their emblems mounted or have had them taken could the emblem be easily removed and exactly where are they mounted? the seconded question is the dash plaque. I'm guessing it would be less likely to be messed with. Do I mount it over the existing clear sticker plaque or should I remove the temporary clear sticker plaque before mounting the permanent one?

Answer: all of the above. Some have mounted the emblem on the dash for safer keeping. Some mounted them on the trunk lid above the tail lights as Shelby mounted one there. Some have mounted them (as I have) on the right side of the middle part of the trunk lid to the right of the rear faux gas cap similar to where the 1966 emblem was mounted.

As for the dash plaque, some have done as I have and kept it with the rest of the documentation without mounting it. Some have mounted it over the sticker. Some have removed the sticker and placed it in with the documentation and placed the plaque where the sticker was.

There you go.....

Opinions will vary, but I think mine's the best.... :doh::hysterical:

P.S. Congrats on getting all of your stuff. I agree, it's like Christmas all over again. You are very lucky that nobody previously has got it and you were still able to. Too often, the cars change hands and the new owner does not get all the documentation from the previous, which would really be a bummer.

P.S., P.S.

Here's where mine is mounted. I can't find many pictures for the rear of my car.

Hertz3_zpsp8dggwze.jpg

I mounted the emblem in the same place as JeffJ, but I never did install the plaque. It currently sits loose on the little shelf (bottom of #9 in the drawing). I have never peeled back the adhesive, and it still looks perfect sitting loose. I'll take a picture later and post it.

I have mine installed on the dash, check out my gallery for a picture .... but an extra one can be bought off of Ebay

I left the decal and have the hard dash plaque in my show book .... why replace something that could tell so many stories if it could talk.

Many put the 40th plaque on the right rear trunk lid over the tail light. This was where it was on the prototype. The dash plaque - that gets into a concours question. To be factory concours, you should leave the cellophane sticker. Keep the aluminum looking plate off.

If you search the GTH forums, you will see the discussions when we first started discussions in 2007 when most got theirs.

But as always, it is up to you.

Many put the 40th plaque on the right rear trunk lid over the tail light. This was where it was on the prototype. The dash plaque - that gets into a concours question. To be factory concours, you should leave the cellophane sticker. Keep the aluminum looking plate off.

If you search the GTH forums, you will see the discussions when we first started discussions in 2007 when most got theirs.

But as always, it is up to you.

This is the way I think I will go. I will keep the aluminum looking dash plaque with the documents, leave the cellophane one and put the 40th on the right rear trunk lid above the lights.

Just installed the 40th plaque above the tail light passenger side, looks great. I have had very little to no success in posting pictures. Is there a trick to it ?

I keep getting something about it being to large of a file.

• 2 months later...

After buying my Hertz Shelby and a lot of questions asked and answered (Thanks to Team Shelby members) I discovered the previous owner after Hertz never contacted Hertz for the coveted documentation, and never registered the Shelby in the Shelby registry. After contacting Hertz they sent me a wealth of information and documentation that they had held all these years waiting for the owner to contact them. The same with Shelby. I registered my Shelby and the same happened I was rewarded with a bunch of great pieces that they also have held for many years to complete my Shelby. It was like Christmas in July. Here is my question I know the 40th Anniversary 1966-2006 emblem is pricey in the after market, small and mounted with 3M tape. I would like to mount it, but I'm a little nervous since it is mounted in the rear of the car and appears to be easy to remove. Do many owners have their emblems mounted or have had them taken could the emblem be easily removed and exactly where are they mounted? the seconded question is the dash plaque. I'm guessing it would be less likely to be messed with. Do I mount it over the existing clear sticker plaque or should I remove the temporary clear sticker plaque before mounting the permanent one?

I have seen GT-H cars with either dash plaque and both look incredible. I could be wrong but I believe the "sticker" was hand signed (unlike any other Shelby plaques) I know the hertz cars were the only hand signed on a plaque I just don't know which plaque. If it were me I would take the other advise buy an extra center dash piece for the metal plaque and if the "sticker" is signed I would take that center dash piece out as it would be far too easy to remove and steal a sticker. You can switch the dash pieces as you see fit between shows and cruises and daily driving.

I have seen GT-H cars with either dash plaque and both look incredible. I could be wrong but I believe the "sticker" was hand signed (unlike any other Shelby plaques) I know the hertz cars were the only hand signed on a plaque I just don't know which plaque. If it were me I would take the other advise buy an extra center dash piece for the metal plaque and if the "sticker" is signed I would take that center dash piece out as it would be far too easy to remove and steal a sticker. You can switch the dash pieces as you see fit between shows and cruises and daily driving.

Incorrect, there were no hand signed plaques on the GT-H cars.

This is the way I think I will go. I will keep the aluminum looking dash plaque with the documents, leave the cellophane one and put the 40th on the right rear trunk lid above the lights.

Nice! Glad to see you will be installing/mounting the 40th. I think it's an important/significant piece on the HETZ cars that should not be hidden. That said, they have come up on ebay if you want to have a spare. Here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-GT-H-40th-Anniversary-Plaque-1966-2006-Hertz-Rental-Emblem-Ford-Mustang-/141768257231?hash=item21020beecf

• 4 weeks later...

curious, if the car has all the documents and the 40th sticker, does that mean the metal dash plaque was also sent out? if someone buys a H car and if the previous owner got the metal dash plaque and kept it, can the next owner get one from SAI ?

curious, if the car has all the documents and the 40th sticker, does that mean the metal dash plaque was also sent out? if someone buys a H car and if the previous owner got the metal dash plaque and kept it, can the next owner get one from SAI ?

I think the 40th plaque came from hertz with the rest of the things they sent, could be mistaken though. This guy has one, kind of expensive but they're out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shelby-GT-H-40th-Anniversary-Plaque-1966-2006-Hertz-Rental-Emblem-Ford-Mustang-/141792576620?hash=item21037f046c:g:6q8AAOSwgQ9V7brV

Unfortunately no they can not. All 500 permanent dash plaques were produced in a single run back in 2006 so there are no extras to be had.

GTH buyers need to start putting pressure on the sellers to turn over all paperwork & plaques when purchasing the car. If the seller claims they did not receive these items when they purchased the car then the seller needs to contact the person they bought the car from for the items.

It has always surprised me that many GTH buyers pay the full going rate for a GTH when its missing items like the permanent dash plaque. In my opinion a GTH is worth less than the going rate if its missing these items. Do you think that a 1965-66 GT350 buyer would pay top dollar for a car that was missing its fender tag? I sure don't think so.

And once you've written the seller a check good luck with getting them to turn these items over at a later date. Most sellers will ignore you when you come back asking for these items and I've seen some sellers even hold the plaque/paperwork hostage demanding money for them. Again once a buyer writes a check he has lost all leverage and is now at the mercy of an unpredictable seller.

Steve

I figured there was only one dash plaque.... questions is, If the guy has the Hertz Goodies, i.e. the book with all the Hertz Paperwork, the 40th anniv plaque that comes from SAI when a owner registers it, is that when the perm dash plaque is sent, or is that requested separately. If the guy has the paperwork but says he did not get the plaque with the book of paperwork is that a legit statement or is that BS?

Thanks!

I figured there was only one dash plaque.... questions is, If the guy has the Hertz Goodies, i.e. the book with all the Hertz Paperwork, the 40th anniv plaque that comes from SAI when a owner registers it, is that when the perm dash plaque is sent, or is that requested separately. If the guy has the paperwork but says he did not get the plaque with the book of paperwork is that a legit statement or is that BS?

Thanks!

The paperwork comes from Hertz. The permanent dash plaque comes from SAI. So if an owner requested the paperwork from Hertz but never contacted SAI then that statement could be legitimate.

Steve

Archived