TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Colorado Mile

Norton

Is anyone considering participation in The Colorado Mile?

Event Date: September 4-6, 2015

5200 Front Range Pkwy Watkins, CO 80137

U.S. Mile Racing

Registration Date: July 20th at 7PM CST

Registration Options: 2 Day, Saturday-Sunday $425 or 3 Day, Friday-Sunday $525

Registration fee covers unlimited runs.

Registration will be limited. Once those spots are filled the waiting list will open. There will be limited number of spots on the waiting list. We will be announcing these limits soon.

Each registration comes with 1 crew entry. Additional crew pay the spectator fee TBD.

Additional drivers can be added for $125. Limit of 2 additional drivers, 3 drivers total per entry.

• 3 weeks later...

If available, I'll come out and support you guys at least! Sounds like quite a few members from other regions, including Van, will be there.

Excellent! It will be good to see you, Jeff. (It would be even better if you were racing with us...)

• 1 month later...
It was a good weekend (for most) at the inaugural Colorado Mile, held at the Front Range Airport (over 5500ft of elevation) in Watkins, CO. There were a lot of great runs by a wide variety of cars. A number of them exceeded 200 MPH, but the weekend's record setting 246MPH run was made by T1 Race Development's Nissan GT-R. Unfortunately, a handful of drivers/riders had trouble slowing their cars/bikes to a safe speed for the turn back through the pit area, and ran off into the grass. (Thankfully, no serious injuries or damage about which I heard.)
kpinco and I raced on Saturday and Sunday. I made 14 passes in my stock 2013 GT500 throughout the weekend, with trap speeds ranging from 165MPH to 170MPH. kpinco garnered a top speed of 178MPH with his modified 2013 GT500. Unsurprisingly, heat dissipation and traction were the biggest problems most of us encountered.
We enjoyed meeting Van from Revan Racing and NMAv, both of whom exceeded 200 MPH, on Saturday. Although I missed him on Saturday, it was good to catch-up with 2010KonaBlueGT on Sunday. It was also an unexpected pleasure to meet and talk with professional driver, Randy Pobst, who was there racing a Porsche 911 Turbo S throughout the weekend.
Apologies for the mediocre quality, but here is a video of my fifth (and fastest) pass.

A friend snapped this shot, as I was staging for a pass. (Just a little brake dust on those front wheels...)
Staged%20for%20Another%20Pass%20New_zpsn
And, here's my top speed slip...
Pass%205%20-%20170.2MPH_zpsseec6akf.jpg

Edited by Norton

Nice! I would have loved to have made it out, but I had the Boulder Shelby event on Saturday and had a bunch of farm work to do on Sunday and Monday. Summer is running out quickly and I don't have many weekends left to finish my field work (and the tractor and equipment break downs....)

Nice! I would have loved to have made it out, but I had the Boulder Shelby event on Saturday and had a bunch of farm work to do on Sunday and Monday. Summer is running out quickly and I don't have many weekends left to finish my field work (and the tractor and equipment break downs....)

I missed catching-up with you this year, Jeff. I can, however, relate to your scheduling challenges.

Do you get a T-shirt and window sticker when you break 200 MPH like they give you at the Texas Mile?

Drivers/riders were given a certificate for the highest speed they achieved. We could BUY T-shirts for the 10MPH bracket in which our highest speed fell (e.g., 150/160/170/etc MPH Club). I didn't see any stickers, but I could have missed them.