TEAM SHELBY FORUM

A V6 Shelby G T 500?

David Hawkins

Ha! Another leak from a usually unreliable source.

Bottom line is, as Spock would say, Illogical. The Ford GT power plant relies on a vehicle HP:Weight ratio that says the car has to be under 3000 lbs to be competitive in the marketplace. That ain't a Mustang if they are going after the Hellcat.

Ha! Another leak from a usually unreliable source.

Bottom line is, as Spock would say, Illogical. The Ford GT power plant relies on a vehicle HP:Weight ratio that says the car has to be under 3000 lbs to be competitive in the marketplace. That ain't a Mustang if they are going after the Hellcat.

+1 .... the Hellcat is a great outing for Dodge but is made for straight line performance, I think once the GT350 / GT350 R are done Ford is done with the Shelby brand of cars ... then we may see a GT500 but from SA and not Ford.

...I think once the GT350 / GT350 R are done Ford is done with the Shelby brand of cars ... then we may see a GT500 but from SA and not Ford.

Very interesting theory. 2018 is quite a ways out, but there is some $ to be made by Ford using parts that already exist. Though it's hard to see a pure enthusiast not wanting a classic "big V8" in their top of the line mustang GT500, that should be representative of the historical roots of the car.

Read this article as well and thought BS. While it's very clear that a V6 can be just a potent as V8 (who would have thought a V6 F150 would dominate sales across the line-up.) I think it would be huge mistank to adopt a turbo V6 and pass it off as a GT500. I could see it in a GT350 long before a GT500.

Read this article as well and thought BS. While it's very clear that a V6 can be just a potent as V8 (who would have thought a V6 F150 would dominate sales across the line-up.) I think it would be huge mistank to adopt a turbo V6 and pass it off as a GT500. I could see it in a GT350 long before a GT500.

It could be that Ford is setting it up for the next GT 500 to be a Small Block V8 and a GT 350 to be a V6. That maybe why SAI is doing a Super Snake on the Mustang GT now.

My personal prediction, we will not see another GT500. Hope I'm wrong, but SA building a SuperSnake on the GT makes its pretty clear in my twisted, no good for nothing, dirty, rotten mind.

There will not be another GT500. There might be something beyond that uses a V8 but it won't be called GT500. Ford stated there is room for only one Shelby branded product at a time and the GT350 will be a 5 or 6 year run.

There will not be another GT500. There might be something beyond that uses a V8 but it won't be called GT500. Ford stated there is room for only one Shelby branded product at a time and the GT350 will be a 5 or 6 year run.

How about a GT500 without the Shelby name attached.

History does point to GT 500 being a futuristic version of the Mustang. And recently the GT500 had taken the engine from the Ford GT, and now it may do this again.... GM did this also, remember 1989 and the Turbo Trans Am...http://www.carthrottle.com/post/retrospective-1989-pontiac-20th-anniversary-turbo-trans-am/

Personally I hope this does not happen, I rather listen to a V8 then a V6 any day....will see....

If this is true... very sad. Time will tell.

History does point to GT 500 being a futuristic version of the Mustang. And recently the GT500 had taken the engine from the Ford GT, and now it may do this again.... GM did this also, remember 1989 and the Turbo Trans Am...http://www.carthrottle.com/post/retrospective-1989-pontiac-20th-anniversary-turbo-trans-am/

Personally I hope this does not happen, I rather listen to a V8 then a V6 any day....will see....

You have to realize......Ford has to win over the Kids of Today that will be ready to drive in the next few Years as well as hope to win over the Teens and 20 somethings who are into the Ricers. In a few Years, WE wont matter any more, we will be the "Past", so Ford HAS to look ahead at who will be buying their Cars (Mustangs).

You have to realize......Ford has to win over the Kids of Today that will be ready to drive in the next few Years as well as hope to win over the Teens and 20 somethings who are into the Ricers. In a few Years, WE wont matter any more, we will be the "Past", so Ford HAS to look ahead at who will be buying their Cars (Mustangs).

Unfortunately for us you're right.

The only problem with young kids is they don`t have the money to afford these type of cars unless they make them affordable. Looking at our economy, & available jobs which is getting worse ,not better , performance vehicle sales will suffer.

I have lost count of how many young people, that have said to me they would love to have a G.T 500 but will never be able to afford the car or insurance. Most of these kids are in debt for their education & some may have some cash to buy an older beat up 4 banger.

The only problem with young kids is they don`t have the money to afford these type of cars unless they make them affordable. Looking at our economy, & available jobs which is getting worse ,not better , performance vehicle sales will suffer.

I have lost count of how many young people, that have said to me they would love to have a G.T 500 but will never be able to afford the car or insurance. Most of these kids are in debt for their education & some may have some cash to buy an older beat up 4 banger.

That's true BUT.................................. they WILL have your Inheritance when you :drop: ..................................... :hysterical:

:hide:

The term "kids" may be the wrong reference to the targeted market. There are plenty of wealthy techy's in their 30s and 40s that are familiar with, and have appreciation for the Shelby name that don't give a darn about engine displacement, number of cylinders etc. These are the potential buyers, and their numbers are very high !

+1, kids don't want the old-style cars. My kids like the new 2015 Mustang, Fusion, Focus ST and Fiesta ST. They're looking forward to the new GT350, Ford GT, Raptor and Focus RS.

Guest markham51

For the younger crowd hasn't Ford put a Ford Racing Focus on its roadmap? They are quite a little car for the price.

Absolutely correct. When I was a "kid" the Mustang was already 3 levels up the ladder. I aspired to drive a Mustang...but couldn't afford one. It's far from the ideal family car.

The term "kids" may be the wrong reference to the targeted market. There are plenty of wealthy techy's in their 30s and 40s that are familiar with, and have appreciation for the Shelby name that don't give a darn about engine displacement, number of cylinders etc. These are the potential buyers, and their numbers are very high !

There are plenty that do care. Bought my KR at 32.

Most of those wealthy techy's couldn't give a rats butt for a Ford or Chev and Dodge they are the ones that'll go with the Jap European cars like GT-R's Ferraris Lambo's and such

not many will be in a Mustang..Oh like I say there may be some but not the majority of them.

The car for techy-affluents is the Tesla. Ford should make plans to service the Tesla crowd when Tesla is eventually forced into independent-dealership distribution, and get a finger in the electric-performance pie. Wouldn't you rather see a Ford/Tesla dealer than a Ford/Kia? What was the fastest car up Pike's Peak this year?

I guess I fit in that group. We're a Range Rover, Lexus, Super Snake family. Our next car will be to replace the Lexus and since my wife won't go the Hellcat Charger route, I think the Tesla is great and it's American made here in California.

Ford would likely next enter the picture to replace the RR. I just wish they had a high performance Explorer.

I think there is a lot less brand attachment with my generation. We want cool, stylish, feature rich cars American or not.

Archived