TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Terlingua Off Road Team

Those who have ventures to Terlingua, TX and the Big Bend region know that this area was a gift from God to Ford Raptor owners.

It seems only natural that homepage should be paid to Mr. Shelby's heritage of racing by creating a spin off of the Terlingua Racig Team for Raptor owners...Terlingua Off Road Team.

I've pitched the concept to Shelby Americas and Racythangs (owner of TRT logo), but have heard nothing back.

What's your thoughts? Think a full blown truck would be killer!!!

I modified the logo as follows:

-Raptor OEM wheel in center of sun

-Treads in Rabbit's feet

-Mud tire treads in Feathers

post-45083-0-52846400-1434511160_thumb.jpg

Same issue goes for a Terlingua Off-Road Team and is why there hasn't been another Terlingua Mustang is SAI do not own the rights to the Terlingua name. This is what irks me when people buy the name rights to something they hold it hostage and no I will not play nice because we are missing out on a new Terlingua Mustang even a Terlingua Raptor because ego's get in the way

Those who have ventures to Terlingua, TX and the Big Bend region know that this area was a gift from God to Ford Raptor owners.

It seems only natural that homepage should be paid to Mr. Shelby's heritage of racing by creating a spin off of the Terlingua Racig Team for Raptor owners...Terlingua Off Road Team.

I've pitched the concept to Shelby Americas and Racythangs (owner of TRT logo), but have heard nothing back.

-Treads in Rabbit's feet

it is clear from your post you are not member of TRT and your knowledge of the team's past present and how it came to be .

as a team member your post is just wrong

glroy,

I do not now, nor have ever purported being a member of the actual Terlingua Racing Team.

I am familiar with how the original social club known as TRT came to be, the origin of the symbol and am familiar with what the Terlingua heritage has evolved into today for Shelby Mustang owners (especially the commercial aspects).

To the purist I can see how this would be sacrilege. However, if in circa 1965 when Dave Witts, Bill Neale, Carroll Shelby and the other founding members were out scouting the ranch, I believe that if they had a Ford Raptor at their disposal that they would have been tearing up the ranch and that that truck likely would have had a TRT decal slapped on it. Hell, if Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek had been part of the pack we may have actually seen a ’66 Bronco in TRT livery running the Baja.

I do apologize if I have offended your senses, but believe that an Off Road social team based on the original TRT is much less offensive than the pure greed driven efforts of badging a V6 Mustang with TRT paint to sell a vehicle that was behind the sales quota.

Anytime you want to meet in Terlingua, TX and run your car against my truck just let me know:) If I bump into you at the chili cook off in a few months just give me the paw before I drop in another pepper...

Respectfully,

MCargol

all about the people who become family and friends what you drive does not matter being there for your team mates is what counts.if i was able it would be great to meet up but i know i cannot make it back it back in my current health.

We did float this idea past Bill Neale a few years ago. He wasnt against it. I dont think Shelby at that point would have been an option, but with Akos back, I think there is a better chance.

Mustang39- Its not a brand held hostage. I wish I could just spill the beans on what the issue is, but I just cant do that. It wouldnt be fair to either party.

NO ONE would be more happy to see new Terlinguas on the road.

I only address this again because Terlingua is a V6 by heritage, and the new Raptor COULD fit right into that legacy perfectly.

all about the people who become family and friends what you drive does not matter being there for your team mates is what counts.if i was able it would be great to meet up but i know i cannot make it back it back in my current health.

Sure is nice to see you on the forum my friend. I think of you always, and Im here for you always. Give my love to Lisa.

Glroy,

I am sorry to hear of your health and wish you the best. Again, I apologize to you and any other true TRT members may have offended. I have not been fortunate enough to join those ranks and only hope to emulate what exists for the generation of Raptor owners who aren't familiar with the history of TRT. As that part of the country is ideal for Raptor runs, it seemed like a great match and would allow for a new generation of enthuisiest to learn of the exploits of TRT and hopefully carry the flame forward. Most young people don't have any appreciation for how Shelby's generation built performance automotive from literally the ground up through blood, sweat, tears and occasionally alcohol;)

DubbaFaris,

You stated that the Terlingua was V6 by heritage, but I thought the '67 Group II (original Terlingua notchback) was a massaged 289?

Well, I suppose a more accurate statement would be that the Terlingua heritage is to use the smallest block, lightest weight competitive motor available. With the 2005+ , it was a V6. Keep in mind that the Titus car was not a commercial built, consumer available model in Terlingua branding. In a way, the precedent is set with the Shelby Terlingua mustang. If you wanted to dispute that lineage though, you could simply point out that there were 6 Terlingua 427 Cobras built, which would be the first Terlingua branded models, and if my assertion holds true, they should have been built with the 289. In fact, 3 more 427s were built in 2010-2011.

• 3 weeks later...

All,

First, I MEAN NO disrespect to anyone with this post. I am posting for information only on this topic.

I live and work in the Terlingua area. My wife and I and our neighbors now live on the original ranch lands that Carroll and David Witts owned. We have a small part of it, but it is our home. We have put incredible energy, blood, sweat, tears, efforts, cost, and more - hopes into building our home on the ranch. Many, many of our friends and neighbors have as well. The Terlingua Ranch is our home. It is home to many now.

I work in the nearby national park and care deeply about the land, this place, its care etc. Part of that care is the yearly Terlingua event which we, the board, run as a 501 3C charity and use to give back about $25,000 to the cimmunity each year.

My point now is that the land out here is a great place to drive off pavement where it can be done legally. There are many back roads in the various land agency holdings. Driving on the back roads is permisseable and legal and a great way to see the country and have fun. Going off the paved road leaves lasting scars that will be there for decades, takes away critical habitat, causes irrepairable harm. I am not saying anyone who reads this would do that, just asking for understanding that this area is our home. The Terlingua Ranch itself is all private land, sold long ago and owned by people now. Driving in the Terlingua Ranch is limited to property owners legally and is our home. I beg you not to do so at speed or off road, it is our home you will be harming. Think about a huge group coming and running at high speeds in your neighboirhood and front yards...

Sorry for the lecture, but my home is at stake. My life's work is here and it matters allot.

I have also been imnmensely lucky enough to get to know Bill and Nelda Neale, Mike Shaw and others and to host them at the event our board provdes each year. They are great people and love this country as well.

Thanks for listening, I feel like not saying anything is worse then saying it. If I say nothing anf folks come out drive around and cause harm they could say no one told them otherwise...

I am also a Shleby owner a Terlingua Mustang owner and love Raptors and all off road trucks myself. For the record...

David

All,

First, I MEAN NO disrespect to anyone with this post. I am posting for information only on this topic.

I live and work in the Terlingua area. My wife and I and our neighbors now live on the original ranch lands that Carroll and David Witts owned. We have a small part of it, but it is our home. We have put incredible energy, blood, sweat, tears, efforts, cost, and more - hopes into building our home on the ranch. Many, many of our friends and neighbors have as well. The Terlingua Ranch is our home. It is home to many now.

I work in the nearby national park and care deeply about the land, this place, its care etc. Part of that care is the yearly Terlingua event which we, the board, run as a 501 3C charity and use to give back about $25,000 to the cimmunity each year.

My point now is that the land out here is a great place to drive off pavement where it can be done legally. There are many back roads in the various land agency holdings. Driving on the back roads is permisseable and legal and a great way to see the country and have fun. Going off the paved road leaves lasting scars that will be there for decades, takes away critical habitat, causes irrepairable harm. I am not saying anyone who reads this would do that, just asking for understanding that this area is our home. The Terlingua Ranch itself is all private land, sold long ago and owned by people now. Driving in the Terlingua Ranch is limited to property owners legally and is our home. I beg you not to do so at speed or off road, it is our home you will be harming. Think about a huge group coming and running at high speeds in your neighboirhood and front yards...

Sorry for the lecture, but my home is at stake. My life's work is here and it matters allot.

I have also been imnmensely lucky enough to get to know Bill and Nelda Neale, Mike Shaw and others and to host them at the event our board provdes each year. They are great people and love this country as well.

Thanks for listening, I feel like not saying anything is worse then saying it. If I say nothing anf folks come out drive around and cause harm they could say no one told them otherwise...

I am also a Shleby owner a Terlingua Mustang owner and love Raptors and all off road trucks myself. For the record...

David

It's too bad that people will abuse other people's property.

I totally agree with your concerns, especially about making new trails. That is the main reason that many areas are now off limits in Colorado. In fact, on any trip through the Grand Canyon people are reminded of the fact that even hiking can cause irreparable damage to certain rare soil conditions that take centuries to create.

However, it would seem to me that the number of people on this forum that might even have the opportunity to trespass is countable on one hand, and probably 0 fingers would be raised.

I would suggest you send this as an op-ed to your local newspaper.

I would also suggest you post "No trespassing" signs around your property.

Good luck

VorpalBunny,

No disrespect taken. Off-roading is a privilege not a right and the rights of land owners cannot be ignored nor the approval to use land abused.

The Texas Raptor Run has been going on now for years on private ranches, always with the permission of owners.

I don't know of any Raptor owners who abuse the privilege, but am sure they exist

As for the Big Bend Ranch area their are plenty of public trails available for off-roading...https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/pwd_bk_p4501_0152k.pdf

Raptors are pretty capable on road as well, just a bit heavy in the curb;)

I'll shelve the offroad team idea as it obviously lacks support.

• 6 months later...

-Treads in Rabbit's feet

I brought this up the other day to one of them and they thought it was a great idea. Then another one said we cannot comment of future vehicles and with the Terlingua Mustang back you never know. This person said with Bill Neale's kids running things the kids were a big reason why the Terlingua is back so hey you never know?