TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Prices, Mileage, And Release Date On The Sale Of The Gt-H

with just purchasing my 06H185 this past week I have been doing a lot of reading on the Shelby Hertz cars. With all the articles I have been reading it looks as though they were released about a year after being in the Hertz fleet with around 10,000 miles. I still have not nailed at what price they were selling for and if they were all returned to Ford for resale. Any information would be appreciated. These are wonderful cars with a great history and story behind each one of them.

I bought mine in April of 2008 with 9200 miles.I believe it was sold at auction for around $32,000 and bought by a local car dealer here in Prince George.

He happens to be a friend of mine, so I only paid the freight and expenses. Keep in mind the $32,000 is Canadian currency.

Most of the 2006 Coupes were sold with between 10K and 24K miles. Mine had 23K on it when it went to auction. The process was that they sold at the normal Hertz auctions, but only Ford dealers were allowed to bid on them. Again, that was the process, but of course there are a few that did not follow that exact path. Out of the gate, many were selling to Ford dealers for $50-60K. That was just the first that went to auction. Some were selling to the public for $70-85K. Not many folks were willing to pay that and the prices dropped quickly. Many Ford dealers far over paid for them once the few that were willing to pay that money were out of the market. My local dealership had #100, which I really wanted because I rented that car, but they paid $58K at auction for it. After a year or so, it sold for around $45K I believe. Around that same time, I found mine for $32K in January of 2008. Most sold at Ford dealers for that $35-45K range. Some more, some less. 2007 verts were a real change, many rental places kept them much longer and let the miles build up to over 30K miles, some up to 50K miles. Many of the verts were not kept near as nice as the 2006 Coupes. The newness of the program wore off and many verts were not taken care of as well. There are many nice ones for sure with low miles, but there are also many with more miles and not as nice. The verts had some pretty good values. Many, if not most sold not to Ford dealers but directly to public at the auctions.

My 2006 Shelby GT-H #281 was sold at roughly 12K miles and sold to a dealer in Las Vegas, it now has 32K rougly and I have never looked back, with the whipple, deep draw hood and other interesting parts it is exactly the way I want it.

It is great to hear the stories associated with these beautiful cars. My story started out surfing the net looking for a Viper. I'm not sure how, but I stumbled onto a site that had the Hertz 06H185 for sale. After reading about the Hertz cars I became fascinated by the history and by this particular car. It had many of the things that I always look for in my cars plus a few more. I always loved the low production number cars that are different. This was right up my alley. Low production, Shelby, Hertz, low miles and signed by the Great man Carroll Shelby himself.

After serving its duty in the Hawaii Hertz rental fleet it was shipped to the state of Washington where it was purchased by the second owner. I see by the records it was registered in December of 2007 with 10,500 miles with a Washington title. Skip forward to May 2015 I bought the car site unseen except for pictures that I had seen on the internet. After many conversations with the consignment shop selling the car I made the scary move. I deposited a large down payment directly into his business account, made airline reservations for my wife and I to fly to Washington, got a cashier check for the remaining amount owed, and took the flight to Seattle. My wife thought I was nuts buying a car sight unseen for the amount of money that I was paying. My answer was if it was not what was advertised we would turn around take a flight back home and deal with trying to recover the loss.

It has been up hill from the time I stepped off the plane. They met us at the airport took us to their shop in Kirkland Washington where I first seen my beautiful car. The car is almost flawless. the only thing I noticed that would keep it from being a 10 car was the hood pin cables looked old and aged and the cowl Shelby tag is faded. I put new hood pin cables and working on getting a replacement cowl tag. The car had only 13,500 miles, it now has 14,500 miles, it came with a additional Carroll Shelby signed 06 Hertz model, original posters of the 06/07 Shelby from the Hertz office from the San Diego Hertz airport facility, Hertz Shelby T shirt, cap, binder with numerous articles.

The car has averaged less than 400 miles a year since purchased by the second owner, and has been very well taken care of. I felt guilty about putting almost 1000 miles on it in such a short period of time driving it home. I even gave the hotel clerk a nice tip to let it stay under the hotel entrance awning and to keep a eye on it during the night while staying the night on our way back to California.

Roger,

Congratulations. I'm glad you are happy with your car. Please do not feel guilty putting on miles enjoying her. That's what she was built for. Why should those who rented them 9 years ago have all the fun? I'm close to turning 50K miles on my Hertz, and the good part about that is that most of the wear and tear as well as maintenance items have been attended to by now by myself so I know everything is in tip top order.

If you haven't found it yet, read through my blog, which I think you will find interesting.

https://shelbygth.wordpress.com/

Troy

Roger,

Congratulations. I'm glad you are happy with your car. Please do not feel guilty putting on miles enjoying her. That's what she was built for. Why should those who rented them 9 years ago have all the fun? I'm close to turning 50K miles on my Hertz, and the good part about that is that most of the wear and tear as well as maintenance items have been attended to by now by myself so I know everything is in tip top order.

If you haven't found it yet, read through my blog, which I think you will find interesting.

https://shelbygth.wordpress.com/

Troy

Troy,

Thank you Very interesting reading, and still have a bunch to read

Ours was purchased from the first owner. I found it on EBay and was the winning bidder. 352 was sold thru a NY dealer then to NJ then here in Illinois. First owner put about 5000 miles and now has 36,500 after almost 6 years. The trip home from NJ was a blast with my daughter and son in law aboard. Driving thru the mountains in PA was the best. Three years ago the car took a first at the Race to Indy show. Eventually, next year, I hope to get another award at a MCA show for originality. As Troy said " these cars were meant to drive " and that's what we do.

Ours was purchased from the first owner. I found it on EBay and was the winning bidder. 352 was sold thru a NY dealer then to NJ then here in Illinois. First owner put about 5000 miles and now has 36,500 after almost 6 years. The trip home from NJ was a blast with my daughter and son in law aboard. Driving thru the mountains in PA was the best. Three years ago the car took a first at the Race to Indy show. Eventually, next year, I hope to get another award at a MCA show for originality. As Troy said " these cars were meant to drive " and that's what we do.

I know the feeling, when I bought the car my wife and I drove from Washington thru Oregon and to home in Northern California. The drive was great and a lot of fun thru some beautiful country. almost every place we stopped people complimented the car, and asked questions. I'm ready to head out again.

It's very cool to see somebody new learn about the GT-H and show that same excitement many of us had back in 2006. That just shows that the GT-H will be a very special car long into the future. Thanks for coming in and telling us your story of why you chose this car.

It's very cool to see somebody new learn about the GT-H and show that same excitement many of us had back in 2006. That just shows that the GT-H will be a very special car long into the future. Thanks for coming in and telling us your story of why you chose this car.

+1

Fun read. Roger, bought my car in Chino Hill Ford in Chino Hills Sept 2007. Had just under 24K on the odometer. I was looking for a car for my 50th "B" day. Planned on getting a 1966 fastback to maybe clone into a Shelby GT350 H or GT350. I was aware that Shelby, Hertz & Ford had done some 40th anniversary cars honoring the 1966 program. While on a business trip I found the GT-H listed in the local paper. The dealer picked me up from the hotel and I looked at the car. It was 06H0050. # 50 was all it really took plus the strong connection to the 1966 Shelby. Now I do miss the hand shaker (manual trans) but it was not a deal breaker. Former rental at McCarran Airport LV. Sent the car back to Shelby Sept 2009 for the Paxton SC, GT-H/SC designation. The Paxton serial number is 0066. Kinda cool. The rest is history. The GT-H program was instrumental in kick starting Shelby American much like it did back in 1966. I think it does have a place in the Shelby automotive history files even though it is not a big HP car by today's standard. I was able to locate a few renters of the car and got some pictures, check-in sheets, videos etc. Car now has almost 39K on it. So far so good. Do not hesitate to drive and enjoy the car :shift: and I am sure our paths will cross here in Cali.

Fun read. Roger, bought my car in Chino Hill Ford in Chino Hills Sept 2007. Had just under 24K on the odometer. I was looking for a car for my 50th "B" day. Planned on getting a 1966 fastback to maybe clone into a Shelby GT350 H or GT350. I was aware that Shelby, Hertz & Ford had done some 40th anniversary cars honoring the 1966 program. While on a business trip I found the GT-H listed in the local paper. The dealer picked me up from the hotel and I looked at the car. It was 06H0050. # 50 was all it really took plus the strong connection to the 1966 Shelby. Now I do miss the hand shaker (manual trans) but it was not a deal breaker. Former rental at McCarran Airport LV. Sent the car back to Shelby Sept 2009 for the Paxton SC, GT-H/SC designation. The Paxton serial number is 0066. Kinda cool. The rest is history. The GT-H program was instrumental in kick starting Shelby American much like it did back in 1966. I think it does have a place in the Shelby automotive history files even though it is not a big HP car by today's standard. I was able to locate a few renters of the car and got some pictures, check-in sheets, videos etc. Car now has almost 39K on it. So far so good. Do not hesitate to drive and enjoy the car :shift: and I am sure our paths will cross here in Cali.

Great story, looking forward to meeting you. I'm sure there is a lot of interesting stories on how the owners of these beautiful cars became owners.

Awesome story ... I can't seem to find any stories or anyone who rented #281 ... I know it was rented but I guess those renters are not on TS.

Congratulations............

........and welcome to the TS forum. The "best path" for all things GT-H is the one that lead you here. Just about any question you may have can be answered on these pages. You'll find some of the most knowledgeable folks when it comes to Shelbys in general or GT-Hs in particular, right here.

Information and documentation for your car ideally is passed along by the previous owner. Hopefully you received the owners packets from both Shelby and Hertz.

I have some historical time line data for 06h216. I'll PM you later with the specifics.

To start, it was a San Francisco rental beginning 6/19/06. It went to auction 7/31/07 with 21k+ miles. It's California license plate as a rental was 5UVZ233.

Best of luck with your new ride,

Dick

I just purchased 06 #216 and have little to no background story. is there a path to round up that kind of info or did you all get it handed down as you purchased your car?

Nice! Congrats and welcome to TS!

I just purchased 06 #216 and have little to no background story. is there a path to round up that kind of info or did you all get it handed down as you purchased your car?

Kinetic, congrats on your Shelby GTH purchase and welcome to Team Shelby. If you haven't already be sure to Register your GTH in the Shelby American Registry, you'll find a link to the Registry below in my signature line.

Also Shelby American has your permanent dash plaque for car #216. On the Registry homepage you'll find a link on how to request this permanent dash plaque. And as part of the permanent dash plaque request, Shelby American will put you in touch with the Hertz corporation so that you may request the original factory paperwork for your GTH.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Kinetic, congrats on your Shelby GTH purchase and welcome to Team Shelby. If you haven't already be sure to Register your GTH in the Shelby American Registry, you'll find a link to the Registry below in my signature line.

Also Shelby American has your permanent dash plaque for car #216. On the Registry homepage you'll find a link on how to request this permanent dash plaque. And as part of the permanent dash plaque request, Shelby American will put you in touch with the Hertz corporation so that you may request the original factory paperwork for your GTH.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Steve

Nice!

• 4 months later...

This car certainly does deserve a special place in mustang and Shelby history. It is my plan to someday add one to my collection with the SC too (too bad no more Paxton package) that #66 is too cool ? that was a very good time for mustang/Shelby. I remember in 04/05 when they announced the gt 500 would return in 07 I turned to my wife and said I hope they bring back the hertz then it did and I told my wife I hope they bring back the Cali then they did it surely felt like the good times would never end. Must have been what the 60's felt like to car guys around back then.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone! New owner of 06H481, purchased for $34,500. in Bellevue, WA with 10,901 miles and in mint condition. Oil change, tranny flush, Ford recalls resolved and complete detail included. Brake pads still have 90%. Steven at Shelby was awesome and the original dash plaque, etc. was still waiting to be claimed from the Shelby vault! Steven connected me to Hertz. As with Shelby, Hertz was fantastic! They still had the original window sticker and several other documents. All were sent overnight at no charge. I'll post history of 481 once I sift through the documents. - Todd from Maple Ridge, BC

Archived