TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kr Losing Power

Sorry to hear that.

I agree that making a repair is always a great time to make some upgrades, that is what I always try to do.

It keeps the whole process on a positive note.

Hopefully that piston dome and top ring have not seen too much heat.

As you have already identified the suspect cylinder, my choice would be to do a leak down test on it before tearing it apart.

That will pinpoint any potential valve leakage issues.

Leakage on the exhaust valve can be heard in the exhaust, and leakage in the intake will be heard there.

Leak down tests across all cylinders should average the same, and the test does not depend on cranking speed, battery condition etc.

All you need to do is position each cylinder where both valves are closed, that is the extent of the cranking.

With the plugs removed you could easily rotate it with a ratchet on the balancer bolt too.

Edited by msb64

So I just got off the phone with Johnny.

The compression check reviled round 150 psi on most of the cylinders and around 140 on number 7. He said it should be around 190.

The engine is coming out and the heads will be removed. From what I understand he will be doing the leak test with the heads off. He said it is probably the valves but if they test ok then it is the rings.

He asked if I do a lot of highspeed runs.

Ah yeah.... lol

He said the combination of the highspeed runs and a tune that is probably to lean caused this to happen.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when I had ford replace the clutch 10,000 miles ago they reflashed the tune. They were very adamant that it needed to be reflashed because that's what ford called for. I had to repeatedly tell them not to touch the tune. It wasn't until I said I would take it somewhere else that they finally agreed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason they were being so adamant was because the guy at the counter forgot to tell the tech not to reflash it and they were trying to get me to agree after the fact.

Edited by sheppd01

So my only problem now is...... How much can I spend without the wife making me sleep in the car. ?

This is the last KR he did. 850 at the wheels.

Is it strange that my engine is busted but I can't stop smiling? Big things are coming ?

Edited by sheppd01

So my only problem now is...... How much can I spend without the wife making me sleep in the car.

This is the last KR he did. 850 at the wheels.

Is it strange that my engine is busted but I can't stop smiling? Big things are coming

Wow Tom, sorry to read about this!!

Yes, while it is out and apart, might as well make some "enhancements" to the engine output.

With a blower upgrade the on a KR, the consideration when choosing the blower will be if notching the oem CF KR hood is an option........or not.

I have read many posts on multiple sites that say the 5.4DOHC can benefit from better rods when the power is upgraded considerably, 700+ rear wheel.

R

Edited by Robert M

Wow Tom, sorry to read about this!!

Yes, while it is out and apart, might as well make some "enhancements" to the engine output.

With a blower upgrade the on a KR, the consideration when choosing the blower will be if notching the oem CF KR hood is an option........or not.

I have read many posts on multiple sites that say the 5.4DOHC can benefit from better rods when the power is upgraded considerably, 700+ rear wheel.

R

I don't think I would be willing to cut up the hood for a KB. I would probably put a SS hood on it before I did that.

I plan on replacing all of the internals.

Does anyone know if the second generation TVS will still fit under the cross bar? They say the TVS can put out 22 psi with a smaller pulley

Edited by sheppd01

I had the FRPP 2.3L TVS on my car a few years back, and it easily fit under the KR style brace.

For awhile I ran that with the VMP high flow elbow, stock look 2.5" upper pulley, 72mm TB, FRPP 113mm CAI and full stock (GT500) exhaust.

On a Powerdyne Mustang Dyno, it produced 624.2 rwhp @ 6022rpm and 645 rwtq @ 3526 rpm.

At the strip, the same combination ran a best of 11.33 and 125.35 mph, on the same day.

Currently I am running the VMP TVS Gen 2, and it also fits easily under the KR brace.

It is capable of making substantially more power with its advanced TVS design and ultra high flow intergrated elbow.

Unfortunately though, a large CAI like the JLT 123mm CAI will not clear the stock KR brace without some modification.

There are zero issues in regards to hood clearance with either combination.

FRPP With Brace.jpg

VMP With Brace.jpg

I was thinking about the TVS 2 but now I am thinking about a Whipple.

Since I am going to be beefing up all the internals might as well go big with the blower too.

I like the Whipple over the KB because the Whipple looks like it is supposed to be there.

Anyone running a 4.0 or 4.5 Whipple? Any issues with them?

The only problem I see is getting the ok from the wife to spend the extra money for the Whipple. Spending the extra cash of the internals is easy. She'll never know.... lol. She might notice the big shiny box sitting on top though. Just might have to sneak it on there a few months later. Going to have to think of a good story on why a need a new hood too. ?

I was thinking about the TVS 2 but now I am thinking about a Whipple.

Since I am going to be beefing up all the internals might as well go big with the blower too.

I like the Whipple over the KB because the Whipple looks like it is supposed to be there.

Anyone running a 4.0 or 4.5 Whipple? Any issues with them?

The only problem I see is getting the ok from the wife to spend the extra money for the Whipple. Spending the extra cash of the internals is easy. She'll never know.... lol. She might notice the big shiny box sitting on top though. Just might have to sneak it on there a few months later. Going to have to think of a good story on why a need a new hood too.

Tom - And while the blower and intake are off.................an intercooler upgrade? At least to the 2013/14 unit? better blow through flow, more efficient?

I just recently purchase the KB Biggun I/C and a lower intake modified for that I/C, to install when I do my 3.6LC..............that will be the time to deal with an I/C upgrade.

The intercooler is often overlooked (less bang to the buck), but Ford felt it needed to be upgraded for the production 2013/14 662hp application? <<and that is well below where many GT500's are modded.......

R

Edited by Robert M

Sounds like you have a few $ to play with then.

The hood change while nice, can be a pain sometimes when it comes to fit and finish as well as a good paint match, depending on how fussy you are.

I went with the TVS because it is a perfect street car piece, has tons of torque, zero clearance issues and look very similar to the stock blower.

If you are looking at bigger blowers, you should also be looking at a lot beefier clutch, as the stock or tsb replacement units are not up to the 700+rwhp levels.

The intercooler upgrade is a cool :) idea, do you have a cost on that, a parts number or if any other parts are required?

Sounds like you have a few $ to play with then.

The hood change while nice, can be a pain sometimes when it comes to fit and finish as well as a good paint match, depending on how fussy you are.

I went with the TVS because it is a perfect street car piece, has tons of torque, zero clearance issues and look very similar to the stock blower.

If you are looking at bigger blowers, you should also be looking at a lot beefier clutch, as the stock or tsb replacement units are not up to the 700+rwhp levels

Tom - And while the blower and intake are off.................an intercooler upgrade? At least to the 2013/14 unit? better blow through flow, more efficient?

R

It's Dave not Tom. ?

Yes the TVS would be easier and can get up to 22 of boost but it would run much hotter than a big Whipple can run with the same amount of boost.

I won't be to fussy about the hood for a while. I will probably just keep it in primer while I upgrade the drivetrain and suspension. I am not to worried about the looks. I think I have only been to one car show in the past two years. It's more about track time for me now.

My plan as of now is to build a bullet proof block that can handle over 22 psi of boost. Once that is complete then I will buy the easy bolt on stuff piece by piece.

I will probably start with this

Inner cooler

Everyone saids this is a better innercooler but I have never heard anyone quote actual numbers.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-performance-intercooler-gt500-2007-2013/p/M6775MSVT/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjw8NaxBRDhiafR-uvkpywSJAAxcl6fdzGH49pXoDLxyXXeuqYpcWxT04DIMGkNPHI02i-FTxoCjMrw_wcB

Heat exchanger

This is a triple pass system which appears to be an upgrade over the dual pass system that they sale at SPP.

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-cooling/vmphe-dual/

Supercharger

4.5 L

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/WK-200250P-2007-2014-Shelby-GT500-Whipple-4-5L-Supercharger-Kit-Polished.html

This of course is all subject to change. I am going to call my builder next week and see what his thoughts are. I am shooting for more than 800 hp at the wheels. It is really going to come down to his recommendations.

Edited by sheppd01

It's Dave not Tom.

Yes the TVS would be easier and can get up to 22 of boost but it would run much hotter than a big Whipple can run with the same amount of boost.

I won't be to fussy about the hood for a while. I will probably just keep it in primer while I upgrade the drivetrain and suspension. I am not to worried about the looks. I think I have only been to one car show in the past two years. It's more about track time for me now.

My plan as of now is to build a bullet proof block that can handle over 22 psi of boost. Once that is complete then I will buy the easy bolt on stuff piece by piece.

I will probably start with this

Inner cooler

Everyone saids this is a better innercooler but I have never heard anyone quote actual numbers.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-performance-intercooler-gt500-2007-2013/p/M6775MSVT/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjw8NaxBRDhiafR-uvkpywSJAAxcl6fdzGH49pXoDLxyXXeuqYpcWxT04DIMGkNPHI02i-FTxoCjMrw_wcB

Heat exchanger

This is a triple pass system which appears to be an upgrade over the dual pass system that they sale at SPP.

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-cooling/vmphe-dual/

Supercharger

4.5 L

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/WK-200250P-2007-2014-Shelby-GT500-Whipple-4-5L-Supercharger-Kit-Polished.html

This of course is all subject to change. I am going to call my builder next week and see what his thoughts are. I am shooting for more than 800 hp at the wheels. It is really going to come down to his recommendations.

I have never seen any numbers from the I/C upgrade either.................will a more efficient pass (less resistance) through the I/C show any sort of numbers on a dyno?, or will it just be a better flow from the bottom of the S/C to the combustion chamber with less air flow restriction through the fins and tubes?

Usually Ford/SVT does not make upgrades (spend engineering $$$) for no reason. That is why it is interesting that they did multiple S/C cooling system upgrades with the 2013, both in the I/C and H/E area's and also included the radiator shroud/fan redesign and the I/C-H/E pump gpm flow upgrade.

Is the VMP H/E a C&R brand H/E? Shelby was selling C&R H/E's with their Shelby stencil on the front. <<<And also the C&R radiator upgrade.

I always liked these pictures I grabbed from a NASCAR race...............

DSCN1740_zps2f3faee9.jpg

DSCN1741_zps30e146d3.jpg

^^^^^^^Shows what brand NASCAR teams trust for their cooling needs.

R

Edited by Robert M

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has been a while but here is what I have purchased so far.

New short block capable of 1,000 hp+. I didn't want to worry about putting a piston through the original so it will be going in storage.

Reworking the original heads to JLP stage 3 with cams.

Shelby 1 7/8 headers H-pipe with cats.

Kenne bell intercooler.

Steeda triple pass heat exchanger.

I haven't decided yet on a supercharger.

Should be done before Carlisle.

Update.

I had an innovators west overdrive pulley on my car. My engine guy pulled it off and said it was shot.

I am guessing it may have been a possible cause of my problems.

New lower balancer

New billet gear high volume oil pump

Rear end is leaking.... Fixing that too

Edit...

New clutch

Edited by sheppd01

No worries here. I have had this car for a while. The first few years I put less than 1,000 miles on it and then I decided that wasn't the best way to enjoy it.

It's been a driver / track car for a few years now. It is much more enjoyable that way.

I see this as an excuse to finally get the car the way I wanted it.

After this the suspension is next and unless there is a new KR in 17 or 18 I would like to have Shelby make it a wide body.

A wide body KR with a 1,000 hp at the wheels is my 5 year plan.

• 1 month later...

There is nothing more annoying than your engine builder posting photos on Facebook of his race cars and saying only 13 more days until race season.

Until you notice that your car is in the background sitting on its own tires. That means the engine is back in it!!!!! Wahooooo ?

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I had same issue you are having with my 2001 lightning. I changed the filter first and that did not help. Checked the fuel pressure and it was almost normal when at an idle. I could apply pressure to the gas peddle and the fuel pressure would drop significantly. Under any kind of load the pressure would drop and not retun to normal until I put the truck back in park.

Ended up being one of the fuel pumps and the hose that connected one pump to the other was very loose. The truck had like 40K miles at the time. I have around 55K now and it runs fine. I replaced both pumps and all hoses wen I did this.

I would suggest checking the fuel pressure at idle and then under load, it will be harder to do under load wit the standard transmission than it was for me on the auto lightning but I would almost bet that is the problem. If it is pressure , for sure you do not want to drive the car much more as it could lean the engine out so much the computer cannot keep up and then burnt pistons etc..

Good luck, I have felt you pain.

Thanks,

-Billy

• 2 weeks later...

The new engine has less than 100 miles on it now. It is very very loud. :) Headers with the KR mufflers sounds good until you get above 3,000 RPM.

Here I am driving very gingerly on the new engine. I get just pass 3,000 RPM when I pass the black car. The exhaust goes from a deep rumble to an almost tinny sound.

It is hard to tell from the video, but if you were standing behind the car at anything but idle you would want hearing protection.

https://youtu.be/RyOtzyq3XHg

I can't wait to see what 22+ PSI feels like. :headspin::spend:

There is a thread somewhere on here discussing whether or not our engines have stamped numbers that match the cars VIN. I will find out soon enough.

IMG_1545_zpsqandptpj.jpg

Edited by sheppd01

This is what I have done so far.

New Block bored 20 over.

Cobra Jet Crank.

JLP/Manley pistons / H beams.

ARP studs.

Mongul Rod/Main bearings

Stage 3 Heads. ported oversized valves

JLP custom cams

KB big gun intercooler

McLeod RXT clutch

Headers

Melling oil pump

15% overdrive pulley

and a ton of other little stuff.

Anyone know of a good oil cooling system? I found one but it is for the Boss and not sure it would fit.

Also any ideas for the best brake pads for the track. I am still running the brembos.

I'd call Van @ Van Racing. Those two questions are right up his alley.

Dave, I love your wide body idea. When you gave me the lead on mine, I inquired about this option to Shelby. Since the car was in Texas, it was very feasible to ship it to Vegas first. At the time I was told that other than that awful wide body conversion Galpin Ford did to a KR, SA had not done any. I later heard there is one KR that has had the WB conversion but have not seen any pictures. From what you have done to yours, this would be sweet!