TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shock Tower Brace 2014 Gt500

I have been looking for some time for a Front Shock tower brace for my 2014 Gt500. I can't find anything that is still available. I've heard of some under developement, but fitment under the hood seems to be a problem and I don't see anyone trying to make one.. Many sources say we don't need it because the car is already very stiff. In fact, the SVT teck told me the chassis was originally made too stiff and they had to fix that. I see all these rear brace this, rear seat delete brace that, etc... Is all this bracing really nescessary or just big hype? I don't drag race my car or track it - just pull hard and lots of burnouts! lol! I've done some mods and have about 750 RWHP. Your thought guys. Thx.

I'll never fully utilize my KRs capabilities, but that strut tower brace is still cool looking. If you measure the distance between the centerline of your front struts I'll let you know if the FRPP strut brace on a KR might work.

Edited by 08KR525

I think the jlt would work but you.need to change out the cai to get clearance. Ive got one panted red that i took off my 2010. If interested pm me

My car us blue and i didnt want to fool with repainting it. Went with factory brace

Thanks everyone for your input. It seems to me it has to be specific to the 2013 14 Gt500 and that has always been the problem. I'll do some measuring, but it seems very strange no one offers it. It makes me think it's next to impossible to fabricate one that doesn't hit something under the hood or the hood itself without flexing and being basically useless from a bracing point of view.

Shelby's eBay Auction has this one listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2014-Ford-Mustang-Engine-Strut-Tower-Brace-Shelby-Terlingua-/181699021226

Don't know if this is what you are looking for.

^^^^ This one does not fit the GT500's.

But this one does.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-RACING-2010-2014-SVT-SHELBY-MUSTANG-GT500-STRUT-TOWER-BRACE-M-20201-MSVTC-/371095485943?hash=item566703bdf7&vxp=mtr

Some slight rubbing issues included. Removal of the hood blanket will solve it, or so I've been told.

Have the second one from same guy.there is a slight contCt between fuel line and front of brace.just slightly reroute fuel line to be in front of brace.have it 6 months and no wear marks.ive got a vert so its more prone to cowl shake

Have the second one from same guy.there is a slight contCt between fuel line and front of brace.just slightly reroute fuel line to be in front of brace.have it 6 months and no wear marks.ive got a vert so its more prone to cowl shake

After you installed the brace, did you actually feel or did it appear to make a difference?

I have been thinking about installing one but everywhere I read 2011-2014 frame was stiffened especially in the convertibles that it's not needed.

I have one on my 2012 and thought about having one for my 2014 as well...

BUT

It rubs against the hood insulation. I suspect it even preloads the hood a bit against its latch.

It is nowhere as rigid that I can possibly believe it does anything to the chassis

It is just a nice and good looking piece of equipment...

It is FAR from the KR type that I had on my 2007 and which was a very solid brace.

Just checked mine using chalk on the strut.after several tight turns and an hours drive no marks on pad.at all. I had read those and similar comments before j bought mine. These are hand made parts and they must have had poor qualty control as parts dinensions seem to vary. The guy i bought it from on ebay gave me a 30 return

Mine fits well and when i take the same turns without than with the brace i dont feel any cowl shake. But ive done road racing at road atlanta and may be more sensitive to cowl . shake.

Ford Racing Strut Rod Brace:

Go to eBay and search gt500 strut rod brace. You will come up with; “FORD RACING 2010-2014 SVT SHELBY MUSTANG GT500 STRUT TOWER BRACE M-20201-MSVTC”

Seller is rbracingford (10082). I installed on my 2014 GT500 and it has tighten up the front end. It now corners better and holds the race line extremely well. The GT500 was never really meant to do Track Days or Autocross, but the Strut Rod really helps and looks awesome. I have no fitment issues at all. The cross over fuel line does not rub. It does not touch the under hood insolation, there are no marks at all. I have a picture of it installed, but can't seem to figure out how to add to this post. I am newbie on Forums, but I have been racing or fixing cars for better than 35 years.

Heres what it kooks like. I painted ford stuff.fyel line is in front

I did almost the same thing to mine but I did the "RACING" in red, just like the Ford Racing logo is done.

It's cheap (2-bottles of Testors Red & Blue model paint), easy and looks great.

Phill

I have one on my 2012 and thought about having one for my 2014 as well...

BUT

It rubs against the hood insulation. I suspect it even preloads the hood a bit against its latch.

I know mine (2010 MY) does. My neighbor pointed out that it was lifting my hood about 1/4" near the middle (where the towers are), across the hood from side to side.

Now I only use it when I'm running the Mile events to stiffen up the chassis as much as possible.

I want all the stability I can get at 180+ MPH.

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to all for the delayed responding, I have been busy with work stuff, go figure. As previously mentioned, I just recently upgraded the engine calibration to support the K&N Air Intake and S-Type Borla Exhaust upgrades completed last summer. Thanks Torch for the hints on adding pictures to text, see added picture. I am not sure what you are searching for in EBay, but when I enter "GT500 Strut Tower Rod" into the EBay search box, I still receive a number of listings for this component. On my 2014 GT500, it does not appear to be raising the hood at all, I still have not seen any evidence of rubbing on the under hood insolation or fuel cross-over-line. The brace does sit extremely close to my supercharger housing. Before installing the brace, I bounce the car to neutralize the suspension, and wiped down the mounting areas to remove and debris. Then tightening down the strut retaining nuts in a cross-pattern, making sure it settled in without pre-loading the brace or the suspension. I was just being careful, and then torqued the nuts to 50 ft.-lbs.

20141114_164226_resized.jpg

That's the one I need. Do you have a link or any info. on where to get it. I've tried searching as everyone has suggested, but never find the correct one. It's always for the gt or V6.

Thx.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tpenziner said:

Thank you, what I'm looking for, but not all scratched up. 

Not sure how long you've looked or how badly you want one, but these things are no longer made, don't come up for sale very often, frequently show some wear, and usually cost more than the current bid. I haven't inspected this one, but I don't see anything in the photos that powder coating wouldn't fix.

FWIW, that's what I did and it turned out pretty well.  Here's an old photo of it that Shelby purloined to hock their billet engine caps...

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...