TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Gas Monkey Gets Fast N’ Loud

Rattlesnake

Check out Autoline After Hours for a story with Richard Rawlings... Now with a new book out, his restaurant and his garage he is expanding...

I thought he didn't care for Mustangs but find out which cars he won't sell, his green Mustang is one of them.

Here is the link to the video and his story plus more if you have the time.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?p=37688

Gas Monkey Garage is a hack job and nothing more... remember those snap-together models, that's what they do. You can see the corners they cut on TV so imagine what they do when the camera isn't on. What bothers me is how bad he rips people off! There is making profit then there is just plain stealing from them

Gas Monkey Garage is a hack job and nothing more... remember those snap-together models, that's what they do. You can see the corners they cut on TV so imagine what they do when the camera isn't on. What bothers me is how bad he rips people off! There is making profit then there is just plain stealing from them

Remember the Ferrari F40? They couldn't sell it to they took it to Barrett Jackson. Reggie Jackson bought it and brought it back right away. This time there was full disclosure of the fact that the car was a salvage title car with major damage. Ferrari would have rebuilt/restored the car to factory (for a significant chunk of change) but later disavowed anything to do with it after the repairs. You don't take a welder to a Ferrari chassis on TV and get Ferrari to bless the work.

Well, I enjoyed the video and learning more about him.

He was a cop, a firefighter and has a backgrond in marketing so he has some smarts. He's definitely a self made man who's failed a few times. He's a big contributor to the Alzheimer's and dementia cause and has his own foundation in support of them. I think I'll even read his book.

We should all be so stupid...right?

AK.

We went to a car show his restaurant was sponsoring. He pulled up in a Ford pickup & did not even get out of the truck. There was over 150 cars there. So stuck up. on another note the restaurant is nice. High priced, good food and a live band.

I really liked the show when it first started out. It just seems he has gotten so full of himself since the show has taken off. He is definitely a smart guy and has made the most of an opportunity. Aaron seems to be the one with his feet still on the ground. JMO

I liked the show early on when it was more like a garage trying to make in the the resto business. Some of the newer shows are hard to watch, like the Smokey & Bandit episode, Knight Rider car, etc. Also, they do a lot of "Holy Grail" cars that are far from holy grail for anyone who knows cars.

Also, to see what he charges for some for the builds, if it is anywhere close to reality, it is ridiculous that anyone with basic knowledge of value would pay it other than to get the publicity of TV.

It is really a very scripted "reality" show that goes over the top but I do respect him for what he is doing, making a heck of a lot of money from the marketing and promotion. Good for him, this is what the free market system is all about!

I really liked the show when it first started out. It just seems he has gotten so full of himself since the show has taken off.

I *think* that is part of the script, "an act" if you will.

Geez, I HOPE it is otherwise the guy's a total ass.

I agree with you on Aaron. They were out here last year for the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb with a little Ford Falcon and on Fan Fest night , where ALL of the class #1 qualifiers MUST (mandatory) show up with their cars at a show downtown to meet/greet the fans, neither one was there but the car was.

Good PR guys, good PR.....

Phill

You don't take a welder to a Ferrari chassis on TV and get Ferrari to bless the work.

Actually....That is *exactly* how you repair a Ferrari F-40.

One of my very best friends in the world (Don Randolph, RIP) had a Auto Body Shop in Seaside CA. He was the best around and because of that, had the body shop contract for the Monterey Peninsula Ferarri dealership (along with the local Jag dealer, the local Rolls Royce dealer, etc.).

One time when I went into the shop to visit with Don he had a wrecked F-40 sitting in the shop. It had moderate to major left/front corner damage, crushing the frame up into the windscreen (another story in itself!). The first thing that surprised me when I started looking over the car is that they are a complete 1"x1" square tube, triangulated chassis. Hand built and welded

When Don went into the dealership to buy the frame section parts for it, HE got a surprise when they handed him a set of rolled up blue prints. Full scale blueprints.

You lay the blueprint down on the ground, place a 1"x1" piece of square tube over the lines for the piece you want to make and cut it to the same size as what's on the blue print (just like when I was a kid and built a balsa wood model airplane). After you cut all of the pieces to size and angles, you take it over to the car and weld them back on where you cut the bent ones off eventually ending up with a completed and RENEWED (NOT "repaired") chassis.

It is LITERALLY, "hand built".

I saw the Fast 'n Loud show with the F-40 and they did it just like any dealer would, or sub-contractor for the dealer would.

I think Don's bill was somewhere in the $200K range and when I expressed my dismay that they didn't call it a total, he told me the car was (at that time) worth $1.5 MILLION. Well, that explained THAT. At that time they were selling in Europe for 3/4 million and to get them "Americanized" (Gray Market Federalized) it cost another $750K, hence the $1.5M price tag. They are worth *substantially* less now a days, as shown by the Reggie Jackson fiasco.

Reggie is local to the area and knows Don so I'm thinking the car I cite above MAY have been one of Reggie Jackson's too.

Just setting the record straight,

Phill

I really liked the show when it first started out. It just seems he has gotten so full of himself since the show has taken off. He is definitely a smart guy and has made the most of an opportunity. Aaron seems to be the one with his feet still on the ground. JMO

+1 ... Richard and the show are enjoyable and my kids like his over the top antics.

I think I watched a few shows and got bored. Too much antics and drama. I think what turned me off was one restoration that didn't have a headliner and supposedly was a completed unit. No attention to detail.

Remember the Ferrari F40? They couldn't sell it to they took it to Barrett Jackson. Reggie Jackson bought it and brought it back right away. This time there was full disclosure of the fact that the car was a salvage title car with major damage. Ferrari would have rebuilt/restored the car to factory (for a significant chunk of change) but later disavowed anything to do with it after the repairs. You don't take a welder to a Ferrari chassis on TV and get Ferrari to bless the work.

Yea they really hacked up the F40 and true Ferrari people had to be saying WTF... if Reggie bought it without knowing everything then he's an idiot

Yea they really hacked up the F40 and true Ferrari people had to be saying WTF... if Reggie bought it without knowing everything then he's an idiot

If I remember right...Didn't he take a HUGE beating on that car?

That tells me that he either didn't know everyting or wasn't told everything. The man has a *incredible* car collection (mostly American Muscle cars from what I remember) so he's no dummy.

Yeah, I smell a rat.

Phill

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed reading all the comments left here. really interesting what all of you thought about Richard and his show. I too noticed a headliner missing in one car, and I do like the mechanics, Even the ones he let go that I thought made the show. (They now have their own show ?) Yes I am tired of the show now and the prices he charges for his teams work is very high. Maybe I can get him to flip a coin if I find one I like, (Since he usually loses when he flips a coin.)

I have most of the parts for an F 40 and I can't believe what Ferrari charges for their parts. Even a rear window was thousands...

Maybe I'll stick with American cars..

I just finished reading his book and it was very interesting.

I enjoy watching all the restoration type shows on TV. They beat the other CRAP that's on all the networks nowadays.

There is a new show that started last night that I thought it might be pretty good, Two guys with strange names. After the first 15 Minutes, I just turned off the TV and went to bed. It looks like they are taking "Misfit Garage" and making it stupider. Why can't they do a show about customizing Vehicles with OUT all the Stupidity and Drama. The Show should be about the Vehicles and the Craftsmanship, not about the guy over in the corner sling his poo around. I like Counting Cars and wish they would do a show with Paul Jr.

There is a new show that started last night that I thought it might be pretty good, Two guys with strange names. After the first 15 Minutes, I just turned off the TV and went to bed. It looks like they are taking "Misfit Garage" and making it stupider. Why can't they do a show about customizing Vehicles with OUT all the Stupidity and Drama. The Show should be about the Vehicles and the Craftsmanship, not about the guy over in the corner sling his poo around. I like Counting Cars and wish they would do a show with Paul Jr.

Because stupidity and drama sells TV now a days...and that is why I dont watch those shows..

I like to watch Power Nation on Spike , with Detroit Muscle and Tommy Boshers being my favorite ... he just seems like a good old boy with tons of knowledge.

Gas Monkey is not a restoration shop! They are a hack shop who's only focus is flipping a car

When watching it do you see the shortcuts they make so if you can see this on TV imagine what they do when the camera is off.

Anyone watch the episode of Gears with the Chevy Biscayne? Stacey was talking about shops who care more about flipping a car than actual quality work, who do you think he was taking a shot at? Cut the coil springs to drop the car will ride like shit and I see Gas Monkey do it quite often. Management only cares about making money and attracting sponsors so these car shows get away with a lot of shoddy work. You ever try to talk to any of these shops who have a TV show, lol they never respond

I'm looking to have a 66 Mustang built with some unique options and contacted a couple of well known shops and both guys responded personally rather than the guy in Utah with his show had his daughter respond, really dude. Richard may be a nice guy I don't know but the work I seen reminds me back in the 70's when those model car makers tried to pawn off those snap-together models as a model you can build

If I were in the business of quality customs, the last thing that I would want is TV crews climbing all over the shop.Probably why Chip Foose and Jesse James told Discovery to take a hike as soon as they could get out of their contracts.