TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Birth Of A Prototype

Hi, guys!

Many of you may have forgotten who I am and rightfully so. I haven't been around for a long while. This thread is a continuation of this one: http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/85304-a-personal-project/

So please read on if you're interested.

Alright, so since I did not succeed at getting any blueprints for the Shelby GT500 Supersnake 2012, and the SAI team outright denied to provide any because they were 'classified', I decided to go ahead and pull it off on my own. Ladies and gentlemen, presenting a new variant of the GT500 Supersnake: The Prototype

2_zpsnxwx5ulr.jpg

1_zpsr65xwouj.jpg

Now, I am fully aware that its still in development stages and I just wanted to make sure everyone can get a sneak-peek at it. This car, is my own vision. You may see it as something which I would build or tune someday if I get my hands on a 2012-14 SS. I vouch for the Mustang's classic pony look, its traditional traits, its muscle and its appeal to us fans. My model, has an extensive facelift, a new front fascia, a wider body kit, newly designed rear bumper and exhaust kits and much more remains to be added. I will be adorning her with the regular side scoops and window scoops, adrenaline-rushing spoiler, give her the cuts for doors, and trunk and everything, but I posted this here because there is nothing better than the feedback from the experts. I would love to hear of what you all think. And what more do you think I should integrate into this vehicle to make it so look exciting. I'm currently planning Vossen-type concave alloys for her.

mustang-gt500-on-vossen-concave-wheels-p

PS: I posted it in the 2013-14 section because the idea for this car was conceived in '14.

Thanks.

This looks like a very cool project, and I am sure it will be a lot of fun to undertake. That being said, I think you might want to look elsewhere for opinions on your prototype.

SuperSnakes exist because of the CSM number and the data that SAI has in their registry. Without those things, the car is just a modified GT500. You can do all the SS modifications (other than the CSM number and badging) yourself for about a third of the cost. The difference is in the value of the vehicle. The SS retains more value than the modified GT500 because of those two special conditions.

You could potentially increase the value of a base GT500 with the modifications you are considering, but that is really tough to do. If you modify an existing SS, you could potentially devalue the car, because all those modifications won't exist on the SAI registry of your car. Approved modifications from SAI must be done by a licensed Shelby mod shop in order to be recorded in the registry. This is why SAI is so gestapo about SS options when you asked them about doing things like stripe delete. They have to produce a certain product to be able to add that number to it.

I have owned my GT500 for 30 months, the last 7 have been as a registered SS. I have come across plenty of older and current GT500s that can easily out perform my car in power and handling, but mine is still "official" and will retain more value. There are some really smart folks out there modifying base GT500s. I would recommend reaching out to that community, as there is a larger pool of owners that do their own modifications. There are so few SS owners, I have a hard time finding simple merchandise like shirts and hats and cosmetic auto parts with the SS brand.

I hope this wasn't too pessimistic for you. I really think you could get a lot of good info from the '13-'14 GT500 group, just because they are larger in number and many do their own modifications. Hope this is helpful.

Svtperformance.com would be a great resource for mod info. Lots of guys over there who do absolutely awesome mods for a fraction of the SS cost (some do even more FYI check out birddoc). Really a great forum and much more active than this place.

Svtperformance.com would be a great resource for mod info. Lots of guys over there who do absolutely awesome mods for a fraction of the SS cost (some do even more FYI check out birddoc). Really a great forum and much more active than this place.

:

I agree with the authenticity of the CSM# and SAI performing the Super Snake upgrades. It's highly unlikely even trying to sell my Super Snake would be an option but if It were I would want it to be exactly as it was registered as #30 of fifty in the Signature Series Edition Super Snakes. It truly is a one of a kind car with it's very own personal identity. having seen many modified GT500's with exciting features, colors and images on them is exciting and if this is what you are wanting, go for it and I will be excited to see it and appreciate it for it's beauty and uniqueness. You never know, maybe SAI would be interested in hiring you to become one of their team members to help design future projects with them, and again maybe not.

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys!

@f2redpot:

If you modify an existing SS, you could potentially devalue the car, because all those modifications won't exist on the SAI registry of your car.

What if Henry Ford had said this to Caroll Shelby on modifying their GT500?

You won't have no Supersnakes in this world, thats what. See this:

http://www.geigercars.de/mediathek/presse-testberichte/ford-mustang-shelby-gt640-golden-snake.html

Does it look bad?

I posted it here because it was relevant, it is a modified Supersnake, and not a GT500. I've taken cues from Shelby's Supersnake and so it made sense to post it here. If the GT500 guys want, they can come and comment here; I got no problem. :)

Edited by Max Cruise

Hey, thanks for the feedback guys!

@f2redpot:

What if Henry Ford had said this to Caroll Shelby on modifying their GT500?

You won't have no Supersnakes in this world, thats what. See this:

http://www.geigercars.de/mediathek/presse-testberichte/ford-mustang-shelby-gt640-golden-snake.html

Does it look bad?

I posted it here because it was relevant, it is a modified Supersnake, and not a GT500. I've taken cues from Shelby's Supersnake and so it made sense to post it here. If the GT500 guys want, they can come and comment here; I got no problem. :)

The SuperSnake is not a Ford product, its a SAI product. Just like a Roush or Saleen, its a post title package, that, when official, adds value to the car.

My deutsch isn't what it used to be so I didn't get much from the text on the website. That car depicted is nice in its own regard, seems like a lot of swag, carbon fiber and bunch of Shelby emblems stuck on it. Its not my cup of tea, but that shouldn't discourage anyone else that likes it. However, that is a modified GT500. There are "GT640" decals on the car, but the faux gas cap still says GT500. The one thing missing from all the pictures is a data plate with a CSM number. This guy looks to have a "golden snake" package that he values at 89K Euros. At the end of the day, its just a modified GT500.

If I were trying to do a project like this, I would start with a base GT500 and go from there. You can do all the SS upgrades yourself for a third of the cost. Since SAI would not be doing the modifications, none of them would be included in the registry of the car anyway. The value of the car would be based on the base car and any modifications you do, relative to who you are talking to. Doing a bunch of unregistered mods to a car that already has a CSM number, while completely the right of any owner, would not do well for the value of the car.

Have you ever seen an auto-V6 mustang driving around town that some kid but a bunch of Shelby badges and Cobra emblems on? Totally his right to do so, but he will still get some weird looks from people that own an authentic one.

If you modify an existing SS, you could potentially devalue the car, because all those modifications won't exist on the SAI registry of your car. Approved modifications from SAI must be done by a licensed Shelby mod shop in order to be recorded in the registry.

I think you're accurate on everything else you posted and I agree with it all EXCEPT THIS PART;

You can indeed modify your Super Snake and have it added to the SAI Registry but rather than saying "SA Modified" it will say "Owner Modified".

But it WILL show your modifications in the SA Registry.

I'm hoping Steve will join in and either confirm or deny my belief.

I am of this belief because I was told by Shelby that if I wanted a 2010 Kona Blue Super Snake with a White stripe or stripes, I could buy the SS with the (only one offered at the time) Matte Black thin-THICK-thin stripe, remove it and install my own stripes and then add it to the registry.

I didn't want mine to be a "Owner Modified" SS, I wanted it to be a factory (blue/white) SS but they refused.

Hope That Helps/HTH,

Phill

When it comes to the Shelby American Registry any and all modifications made to the car are welcome to be added to your cars Registry entry no mater who made the modification. For example if you have Pep Boys add a sunroof to your car, this modification is welcome to be added to your Registry entry as an owner modification.

Purchase a set of exhaust headers from Jeg's and install them yourself in your driveway, yes that modification is also welcome to be added to your Registry entry as an owner modification. Win a local stores raffle for a installed car stereo, yup that too is welcome to be added to your Registry entry as an owner modification. Purchase a set of take-off wheels from the Shelby's eBay store, they too can be added to your Registry entry as an owner modification.

All the above examples are considered owner modifications and again are welcome to be added to your cars Registry entry.

Now if you send your GT500 to SAI for a Super Snake package, not only will that be added to your Registry entry but your car will then be recognized as a factory built Shelby Super Snake and moved from the regular GT500 Registry category over to the Super Snake Registry category.

But if you or a non SAI recognized shop installs Super Snake parts onto your GT500, those parts can certainly be added to your Registry entry but your car would not be recognized as a Super Snake and would remain in the regular GT500 category of the Registry. It doesn't matter if you purchase the parts from SPP, they would still be considered an owner modification.

I would like to stress that last part as we are seeing more and more people advertising owner modified GT500's with the sellers claiming that the new buyer can take this owner modified GT500 to Shelby American for verification and then SAI will issue them a CSM number. Those seller statements are 100% false.

Hope this helps shed more light onto the Registry operations. When the revamped Registry website is ready to go online we hope to have these along with other more detailed guidelines available for all.

Steve

I'd like to see your progress on this project. I can understand SAI not handing you over the "blueprint" for the SS. I mean why would they? They have nothing to benefit from it. You may as well ask Ford to send you a full scale model of the FGT. As long as you don't try to pass your final product off as a real SS I don't see any issues with it. GL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...