TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tint The Windows Or Not?

I'm looking for opinions to help me decide if I should tint the windows. I've had the windows tinted on every car I've owned except this one. IMO tinted windows always make a car look better. So, I'm not sure exactly why I have held off. I do like being able to see the gauge cluster on the dash from the outside of the car as it is one of my favorite features of the car.

So what do you think, tint or no tint?

IMG_5861_zps7af4963b.jpg
IMG_5880_zpsc3b01203.jpg

Road courses require you run with the driver and passenger windows down, so having tinted windows is not a problem. I say tint 'em.

Mark

PS. IMHO, I think the tinted windows make these cars look even more menacing.........

Edited by mark.barton

I say no tint only because tint eventually fades, bubbles, scratches etc. If I lived in the lower south, I would consider it. You can always have it taken off if you did not like it.

Guys, this is important: If you have a pre 2008 car, you MUST either upgrade/swap your front window channel guides with the later 2008 part or line your current ones with moleskin PRIOR to having your windows tinted. The rubber on the earlier cars will collect fine dirt particles and SCRATCH the insides of your window tint very badly and you will have to have everything re-done in short order. Ford fixed this problem with the 2008+ cars.

https://shelbygth.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/window-tinting/

Guys, this is important: If you have a pre 2008 car, you MUST either upgrade/swap your front window channel guides with the later 2008 part or line your current ones with moleskin PRIOR to having your windows tinted. The rubber on the earlier cars will collect fine dirt particles and SCRATCH the insides of your window tint very badly and you will have to have everything re-done in short order. Ford fixed this problem with the 2008+ cars.

I'll need to order new guides. I've wondered what was making the windows look so bad. Thanks for the tip!

I'm thinking I should replace after I have the windows tinted. When they install tint I can see the felt getting soaked from using water and a couple of drops of soap to help the tint slide.

Thoughts?

Edited by Ford Fest

Ah Ha.... an informative post.... the wife wants me to get mine tinted but I have noticed the scratches on the glass already... now I know why.... thanks Troy!

Two recommendations (from experience):

1) Check DMV rules for the State and county as to total tint (window glass and film) amount allowed. Many States only allow limited additional tinting over the already factory tint in the glass. If the windows are too dark for law enforcement to see the driver, it may have to be removed and that can be costly. Or it may affect driver vision at night because of too dark a tint. This regulation varies from State to State and can impede a later sale to a buyer in another State or county.

2) You can try a DIY job, but the reputable professionals who do this on a daily basis usually have far better skills, knowledge and proper materials. I have never had a professionally installed tint scratch on my windows on any pre-2007 vehicle, even classics from the sixties. The tint is still problem free after dozens of years with no scratches, fade or peal due to hot summer weather and long sunny days in Hawaii sitting in the driveway (not garaged). I have seen scores of poor work on cars from DIY and cheap jobs with tint that pealed, scratched or was cut poorly just to save a buck.

You will enjoy a cooler car with less sun glare once it is done. :cool:

A vote for no tint. The car looks sweet as is. I'm the opposite, I've never tinted windows on any car

I agree.

Thank you for the feedback! It's weird not having tint on this one with all of the other cars I've owned over the years getting the full treatment with 20% tint, not limo dark; but dark enough.

Having to replace the window guides has definitely made me think even more if I want to tint the windows.