TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Just a quick question: Ford specs the oil for the 4.6 (GT's, SGT's & GT-H) as 5W - 20. I have been using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend in my GT-H. Thoughts on using 5W - 30? Looks like Wal-Mart now carries this viscosity in the Motorcraft brand. Any advantage or disadvantage? non track and I have the Paxton SC oil fed & lubricated. No issues with what I have been using just curious as to thoughts. Again, not asking about what oil brand is best because I already have my thoughts on that, but rather just about the viscosity.

Thanks in advance.

Just a quick question: Ford specs the oil for the 4.6 (GT's, SGT's & GT-H) as 5W - 20. I have been using Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend in my GT-H. Thoughts on using 5W - 30? Looks like Wal-Mart now carries this viscosity in the Motorcraft brand. Any advantage or disadvantage? non track and I have the Paxton SC oil fed & lubricated. No issues with what I have been using just curious as to thoughts. Again, not asking about what oil brand is best because I already have my thoughts on that, but rather just about the viscosity.

Thanks in advance.

Great question as I am in the same boat.

5w30 should be fine. I use 10w30

The primary determinant of OE viscosity is EPA fuel economy ratings

Thanks. I understand the thinner oil for the fuel economy rating. Is there any advantage such as better engine protection with the higher viscosity? Why are you using 10-30?

Edited by H0050

"Thinner" oil is really more about cold weather startup than it is for fuel economy....I think....

edit: If you want to go temporarily insane, try to read this!

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

Edited by ilmor

"Thinner" oil is really more about cold weather startup than it is for fuel economy....I think....

edit: If you want to go temporarily insane, try to read this!

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/index.html

I thought it was interesting and did shed some light. I will continue to use the manufacturer (Ford) recommended viscosity 5w-20. I do not think 5w-20 and 5w-30 will be much different based on my climate and driving. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by H0050

I thought it was interesting and did shed some light. I will continue to use the manufacturer (Ford) recommended viscosity 5w-20. I do not think 5w-20 and 5w-30 will be much different based on my climate and driving. Thanks for sharing.

I use the Motorcraft 5w-20 blend, it gets fantastic reviews and it's exactly what they recommend.

I let the dealer do it though.

• 1 year later...

:reading:

As a critical specification for oil selection, is the temperature ratings/range. As any thermodynamic system, the weakest component that is vulnerable to break down (i.e. metal fatigue) due to friction, sets the min oil efficiency requirement (to avoid reaching oil brake down /shear-back). EOM ratings determine the temperature range (SAE) in which the oil should provide adequate lubrication throughout the operational temperature range (during track operations, need to consider the totality of factors influencing engine temperatures). Reaching shear-back, results in oil break down byproducts that are harmful in that it will not lubricate (protect) efficiently. That is one of the reasons why a "brake-in" period it is recommended for new engines. The process will allow the cylinder walls and the piston rings to seat correctly as the early operational friction creates micro-channels in the walls (reservoirs) to allow the oil maintain adequate lubrication when the rings travel up and down. Excessive heat during the early process produces glazing, which impedes the above process and can be harmful to the engine; thus, diminishing efficiency/performance (diminished and or loss of compression). During cold temperature operations, oils with the proper W rating allows lubrication during the start sequence as the oil’s viscosity influenced by the proper additive, is able to adequately flow at the onset; however, one should still allow the engine to reach operational temperatures/preasure before conducting (driving) normal operations. As the oil warms-up, it should provide the same protection throughout the temperature range. Also, keep in mind that in some engines (usually aluminum) a secondary function of oil is to help dissipate heat; therefore maintaining proper levels is paramount. Hope this helps.

Edited by Voodoo Child

Thanks in advance.

You can order it from WalMart online for (currently) $17.97/5 qt. and if you get 3 of these shipping is free.