TEAM SHELBY FORUM

1968 Gt500Kr

mlane73

There is still an appeal for those old hard riding, impossible to steer beasts. Being over 60 years of hardened age, I am comfortable cruising in my 2011 GT350 with all it's power, comfort and handling. But I still feel a lot of exhilaration in bouncing around and wrestling with the 66 GT350 and the history it represents. I can remember when SAI dumped the old 66 GT350 and GT350 cars for $1000 apiece back in the late 60's to get rid of the old buckets. They were worth virtually nothing in the newer era of the big block Shelbys and other super muscle cars. But some of us have lived ling enough to reclaim the memories and see their values change.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2015/11/18/Expensive-Mustangs?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Hagerty%20Weekly%20News%2011-25-2015

Just like old Bugattis, Duisenbergs, Packards and old series European exotics, these old Shelbys can be stupid money pits for their owners. They have an emotional value beyond monetary reason or performance numbers that are relevant to another era. Some of us irrational nut cases continue to lust after them and keep them for succeeding generations to view and possibly appreciate in their context of Carroll's legacy. I do not have a CS signature on the dash of my 66 GT350 because he never put one there and I know how he cherished being able to manufacture that car fifty years ago.

There is still an appeal for those old hard riding, impossible to steer beasts. Being over 60 years of hardened age, I am comfortable cruising in my 2011 GT350 with all it's power, comfort and handling. But I still feel a lot of exhilaration in bouncing around and wrestling with the 66 GT350 and the history it represents. I can remember when SAI dumped the old 66 GT350 and GT350 cars for $1000 apiece back in the late 60's to get rid of the old buckets. They were worth virtually nothing in the newer era of the big block Shelbys and other super muscle cars. But some of us have lived ling enough to reclaim the memories and see their values change.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2015/11/18/Expensive-Mustangs?utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=Hagerty%20Weekly%20News%2011-25-2015

Just like old Bugattis, Duisenbergs, Packards and old series European exotics, these old Shelbys can be stupid money pits for their owners. They have an emotional value beyond monetary reason or performance numbers that are relevant to another era. Some of us irrational nut cases continue to lust after them and keep them for succeeding generations to view and possibly appreciate in their context of Carroll's legacy. I do not have a CS signature on the dash of my 66 GT350 because he never put one there and I know how he cherished being able to manufacture that car fifty years ago.

I still remember back in the early 80`s Carroll would walk around at the SAAC Conventions & talk to the owners & sign anything you wanted that's how I got my 68 G.T 500 glove box signed. He also signed my 6 year old daughters stuffed toy snake which I still have .

True. Carroll loved to look at cars and talk to the owners and their kids. I have numerous items signed by 'Shel, many as personal gifts, but never had him sign the 66 as I am leaving it as it came from the factory originally. Besides, the 2011 GT350 has more signatures than I can count, from the dash to the carpets! My point is that both cars are great rides in their own way and part of a wonderful legacy.

True. Carroll loved to look at cars and talk to the owners and their kids. I have numerous items signed by 'Shel, many as personal gifts, but never had him sign the 66 as I am leaving it as it came from the factory originally. Besides, the 2011 GT350 has more signatures than I can count, from the dash to the carpets! My point is that both cars are great rides in their own way and part of a wonderful legacy.

Whatever your pleasure but more signatures than you can count? Sounds like you kinda ruined a car that already had enough badges, name plates, etc. Weird.

I have never requested Carroll put a signature on any of my cars, the 2011 GT350 just comes that way. It also has a freaky abundance of "GT350" stamped all over the inside and outside as if we might forget what kind of car wear enjoying. Ironically, the new Ford Shelby GT350 has very little in terms of designation badging and no signatures, not even side stripes! Must be the new age of marketing minimalism.

I have never requested Carroll put a signature on any of my cars, the 2011 GT350 just comes that way. It also has a freaky abundance of "GT350" stamped all over the inside and outside as if we might forget what kind of car wear enjoying. Ironically, the new Ford Shelby GT350 has very little in terms of designation badging and no signatures, not even side stripes! Must be the new age of marketing minimalism.

I love the SAI GT350s but they do have a good deal of badging