TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Careful Where You Put Your Spare!

2007_Shelby_GT

Being the lazy type, on a recent trip to the hills, I tossed my spare tire into the trunk, something I've done numerous times in the past with no issues, till now!

I stopped for fuel, and when I returned to the interstate, I naturally romped on it. When I backed off, and then accelerated to crusing speed, the car backfired and stuttered like crazy! As it turned out, I got bad fuel, and two GT500s with me did too, but when their issues cleared up and mine didn't, I had to find a different cause. One of the guys suggested fuel pump, and low and behold, that's what it was!

The reason? When I romped on it, the spare tire collapsed the floor just enough so that it rested on one of the two fuel control modules and associated wiring in the spare tire well. This caused one of the pumps to stop working, only letting the car run up to about 75 mph, and NO hard acceleration!

Lesson learned, put the spare where it belongs, push it off to the side of the trunk, or beef up the floor!

This is good info for those that have GT500s or those, like me, that have GT500 dual fuel pumps!

Sam

Your spare was not in the wheel well or was it?

No, it wasn't in the well where it should have been! (I've read one case where the wheel shifted IN the well and caused the exact same issue!)

Just something to consider if you get lazy like me!

Sam

No, it wasn't in the well where it should have been! (I've read one case where the wheel shifted IN the well and caused the exact same issue!)

Just something to consider if you get lazy like me!

Sam

Thanks. I was worried because I just recently put a performance size spare in my wheel well. I should be good to go!