TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Addition To Playpen: Bookend (Almost) To My Boss 302 Ls

vapor08GT500

Seems as though things never happen at the right time....

Before my '13 Boss 302 LS arrived after the lengthy wait from ordering it in 2012, I was looking for a bookend for it in the form of a '70 Boss 302. Having owned 8 previous 69-70 Boss 302's, 2 69-70 Boss 429's , and 1 '71 Boss 351, I am pretty familiar with them. Obviously, my first choice would have been a '70 in Grabber Orange which is a very close match to my '13 School Bus Yellow. Each one I found were either priced in the stratosphere, wrong options, too rough, or projects which I do not have time for. I have looked at over 20 of them in the past 2.5 years, and no deals were made...

Back in 2004 at the 40th Anniversary of the Mustang in Nashville, TN, I met an older gentleman that was the original owner of 3 Bosses, all white, and all really nice. 1 '69 Boss 429, 1 '70 Boss 302, and 1 71 Boss 351. Maybe some of you that were there saw them too. They were the nicest collection there in my opinion. I talked with the owner at length about the cars and he was very passionate about each of them and never wanted to sell. I gave him my card and asked him to please call me if he ever wanted to sell, or ever needed parts. Never heard from him and he has now passed, sadly, and the trio got broken up.

Fast forward to last week. A friend of mine calls me and says I have a car you will want. A person in AZ bought the '70 less than a month ago and never told his wife. She was (needless to say) very mad she wasn't consulted with and then told him the car goes or her. On top of that, she told him that they needed to pay over $30K to help her brother who was sick ( with 2 kids) and in the hospital get his house out of foreclosure and the Boss and his rust bucket 70 Mach 1 had to go. When I saw the pictures, emailed to me, I knew it was the same car as I saw in 2004 at the Mustang 40th in Nashville. Even the incorrect, replacement starter solenoid is still on the car, and a scratch under the decklid I remember seeing is still present (both will get fixed).

Needless to say, I dropped everything, wired the money (alot of it too, no great story of a great deal, unfortunately) and drove out to pick it up with my truck and trailer as I was worried I would miss the car. I could not get there soon enough, worrying the entire 4 hour drive that someone else would get the car (even though I paid for it in full) as I know how even when someone is paid, unfortunately in today's day and age, that mean nothing to some. I arrived at the seller's home, and started looking the car over, It was EXACTLY as it was 11 years ago. Not a mark or flaw to mention. All chrome and stainless is original and really nice. Paint is beautiful. Damn near perfect original Boss 302!! Although I didn't get my Grabber Orange, I don't feel like I settled with this car....

Original options: Shaker hood scoop, deluxe interior, Rim Blow steering wheel, center console, fold down rear seat, AM/FM radio ( AM in it now, but I have a '70 AM/FM), rear spoiler, front spoiler, sports slats (rear window louvers), 3.50 traction lock rear, wide ratio Toploader 4 speed with Hurst shifter, Magnum 500 wheels (still have the original Ford logo stamp on each), power steering (not on car, but I will re-install, as it is hard to steer at low speeds), tachometer, and clock. Most of the 7013 '70 Boss 302's built were strippo models with out these options, and many of the Boss 302's were raced, rusted, and since scrapped. It is hard to find such an original car that is all there still especially the original smog equipment and rev limiter which were the first things owners scrapped when new. Got the original window sticker, invoice, and sales agreement showing dealer installed Mach 1 hood locks. I am pretty sure original build sheet will be under the carpet, which has never been out of the car. Everything I have checked so far is date code correct and original to this car down to the carburetor, duel point distributor, exhaust manifolds, intake, block, heads, etc. On top of that it still retains the original clutch even with 53K miles and still holding strong. It has never been wrecked or rusted and retains all of it's original body panels including the hard to find correct rolled front fenders to clear the wider tires the Boss's came with. Car runs and drives really nice...no rattles or squeaks, doors close solid, engine is VERY strong and does not smoke like most of them. Not a single leak!! I am thrilled. I can't remember the last time I was so happy for a car. I kept pulling over on the trip home, just to look at it...LOL. Was pulled over twice by cops that just wanted to look at it, one wanted me to take a picture of him (at 2am in the dark) with his phone with the car. Pretty funny...

Drove the car all day today with no issues. Much better driving that the other 8 I have owned and many of my other 60's and early 70's Muscle Cars I have owned before. I keep forgetting it is only a 4 speed though and keep wanting to shift into 5th or 6th like my newer cars...Won't be able to drive it much soon though as A/C wasn't available on any of the Boss's, so adding it will detract from the car's originality in my opinion. It is supposed to be back in the high 90's next week...UGGG

Here are a few pictures:

20150424_011625.jpg

20150424_011639.jpg

20150424_011652.jpg

Boss%20302%2011.jpg

Boss%20302%2012.jpg

Boss%20302%2013.jpg

Thanks for the comments, my friends. Been driving it as much as I can before it gets too hot. Looks like the rest of the week will be in the high 90's and low 100's, so not much time left!! It really drives well and gets a lot of attention...

All three of the cars were split up. Spent hours doing google searches and looking through my 2011 Boss registry book. I talked with the person who split up the collection, and he put me in touch with the person who bought the Boss 351. I called him and he put me in touch with the person he sold it to. Talked with him for 30 minutes and he may consider selling, but his price is about $25K too high in my opinion. He says he will email me some pictures. I am not using names or prices obviously as current owner of the Boss 351 doesn't want it broadcasted, which I can respect. Still have not got a call back from the person who ended up with the Boss 429, but I will keep trying. I have photocopies of misc paperwork for all 3 cars.

Wouldn't that be something...being able to get all three cars back together again? Doubt I'll be able to afford the Boss 9 as I know what the guy paid for it....

I buy Boss 302, and now look what happens....this hobby is a never ending expense!!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems as though things never happen at the right time....

Before my '13 Boss 302 LS arrived after the lengthy wait from ordering it in 2012, I was looking for a bookend for it in the form of a '70 Boss 302. Having owned 8 previous 69-70 Boss 302's, 2 69-70 Boss 429's , and 1 '71 Boss 351, I am pretty familiar with them. Obviously, my first choice would have been a '70 in Grabber Orange which is a very close match to my '13 School Bus Yellow. Each one I found were either priced in the stratosphere, wrong options, too rough, or projects which I do not have time for. I have looked at over 20 of them in the past 2.5 years, and no deals were made...

Back in 2004 at the 40th Anniversary of the Mustang in Nashville, TN, I met an older gentleman that was the original owner of 3 Bosses, all white, and all really nice. 1 '69 Boss 429, 1 '70 Boss 302, and 1 71 Boss 351. Maybe some of you that were there saw them too. They were the nicest collection there in my opinion. I talked with the owner at length about the cars and he was very passionate about each of them and never wanted to sell. I gave him my card and asked him to please call me if he ever wanted to sell, or ever needed parts. Never heard from him and he has now passed, sadly, and the trio got broken up.

Fast forward to last week. A friend of mine calls me and says I have a car you will want. A person in AZ bought the '70 less than a month ago and never told his wife. She was (needless to say) very mad she wasn't consulted with and then told him the car goes or her. On top of that, she told him that they needed to pay over $30K to help her brother who was sick ( with 2 kids) and in the hospital get his house out of foreclosure and the Boss and his rust bucket 70 Mach 1 had to go. When I saw the pictures, emailed to me, I knew it was the same car as I saw in 2004 at the Mustang 40th in Nashville. Even the incorrect, replacement starter solenoid is still on the car, and a scratch under the decklid I remember seeing is still present (both will get fixed).

Needless to say, I dropped everything, wired the money (alot of it too, no great story of a great deal, unfortunately) and drove out to pick it up with my truck and trailer as I was worried I would miss the car. I could not get there soon enough, worrying the entire 4 hour drive that someone else would get the car (even though I paid for it in full) as I know how even when someone is paid, unfortunately in today's day and age, that mean nothing to some. I arrived at the seller's home, and started looking the car over, It was EXACTLY as it was 11 years ago. Not a mark or flaw to mention. All chrome and stainless is original and really nice. Paint is beautiful. Damn near perfect original Boss 302!! Although I didn't get my Grabber Orange, I don't feel like I settled with this car....

Original options: Shaker hood scoop, deluxe interior, Rim Blow steering wheel, center console, fold down rear seat, AM/FM radio ( AM in it now, but I have a '70 AM/FM), rear spoiler, front spoiler, sports slats (rear window louvers), 3.50 traction lock rear, wide ratio Toploader 4 speed with Hurst shifter, Magnum 500 wheels (still have the original Ford logo stamp on each), power steering (not on car, but I will re-install, as it is hard to steer at low speeds), tachometer, and clock. Most of the 7013 '70 Boss 302's built were strippo models with out these options, and many of the Boss 302's were raced, rusted, and since scrapped. It is hard to find such an original car that is all there still especially the original smog equipment and rev limiter which were the first things owners scrapped when new. Got the original window sticker, invoice, and sales agreement showing dealer installed Mach 1 hood locks. I am pretty sure original build sheet will be under the carpet, which has never been out of the car. Everything I have checked so far is date code correct and original to this car down to the carburetor, duel point distributor, exhaust manifolds, intake, block, heads, etc. On top of that it still retains the original clutch even with 53K miles and still holding strong. It has never been wrecked or rusted and retains all of it's original body panels including the hard to find correct rolled front fenders to clear the wider tires the Boss's came with. Car runs and drives really nice...no rattles or squeaks, doors close solid, engine is VERY strong and does not smoke like most of them. Not a single leak!! I am thrilled. I can't remember the last time I was so happy for a car. I kept pulling over on the trip home, just to look at it...LOL. Was pulled over twice by cops that just wanted to look at it, one wanted me to take a picture of him (at 2am in the dark) with his phone with the car. Pretty funny...

Drove the car all day today with no issues. Much better driving that the other 8 I have owned and many of my other 60's and early 70's Muscle Cars I have owned before. I keep forgetting it is only a 4 speed though and keep wanting to shift into 5th or 6th like my newer cars...Won't be able to drive it much soon though as A/C wasn't available on any of the Boss's, so adding it will detract from the car's originality in my opinion. It is supposed to be back in the high 90's next week...UGGG

Here are a few pictures:

20150424_011625.jpg

20150424_011639.jpg

20150424_011652.jpg

Boss%20302%2011.jpg

Boss%20302%2012.jpg

Boss%20302%2013.jpg

Just now seeing this thread Alex, uber congrats...the Boss looks GREAT!

Bring it to Gardena on Saturday!

It would be a great bookend to our PW B2, although the stripe pattern is off by one year...

Motor on!

GBM52626_zps6c078642.jpg

Edited by Cali_KR

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some more pics from the Sonoma Shelby Mini Nats. I trailered it to Sonoma, then drove it the 16 miles each way to Sears Point from the hotel a few times. Put 140 miles on the car, including a few parade laps around Sears Point. The car runs and drives so well, it doesn't drive terrible like most old cars do. I have located a Grabber Orange 70 Boss 302 with many of the options this cars has, so this one will be up for sale soon. All correct power steering has been put back on the car, as well as the correct AM/FM radio and correct door speakers/grills. It is one of the best driving, 70 Boss 302's around!

20150806_165347.jpg

20150807_095130.jpg

20150807_095139.jpg

20150807_095150.jpg

20150807_095156.jpg

20150807_095205.jpg

20150807_125006.jpg

Alex