TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Install Aftermarket H Pipe Or Not?

Shelbye1

Hey guys,

I'm interested in learning more about what advantages I might enjoy by replacing the OEM H on my 08 GT500. I like deeper tones, so have ruled out the X pipe. This isn't a track car, just a new weekend driving obsession. I put on the Corsa Sport AB's recently and I'm thrilled with the more aggressive exhaust notes.

A contact of mine at Steeda suggested a Kooks H Pipe. I just did some quick research and it appears they require their long tube headers. I don't think I want the overly aggressive sound that people tell me come with headers. But, maybe I'm not well enough informed.

So, would the car sound much better with an aftermarket high flow catted H pipe? Would I get some performance (HP) gains in the low,mid, or high RPM ranges?

And, do I necessarily have to install new headers to switch out the H pipe?

Can't wait to hear from the experts here!

Thanks,

JR

i also have corsa exhaust , looking for that perfect sound i changed exhaust 2 times and the corsa sound the best for me. but not enough, so i put on a brothers stainless mid pipe, if you dont want a agressive sound stay away from changing the mid pipe, i have a 2010 but i dont think that matters , driving normally no drone at all,but once you get on it ,its very loud , i know we dont always drive aggressive but start up and agressive driving you will here it . i dont here it as much in the car, but have heard from friends that my car is very loud, good luck with your choice. i do have ford shorty ceramic headers ( no longer available ) not sure but dont think you need to change or put headers on for mid pipes

Edited by BLUE 2010 SHELBY GT 500

Thanks Blue. Great info..very useful. I'm in the same boat with the sound deal. I LOVE the Corsas...but, I'd like a little more attitude. If you say normal driving is not overburdening sound wise, but it gets loud when you get on the throttle, I am fine with that. Glad to hear one persons feedback on the lack of a need to install headers to change out the mid pipe.

Did you notice any performance gains?

Beautiful ride BTW!

Shelbye1,

Like you, I don't track my car. I cruise and go to local shows. I was running a MRT H-Pipe with the high flow cats when I had it attached to the OE manifold and going out to Borla ATAKs in the back. Now I'm hooked up to ARH Long Tubes with an ARH H-Pipe still going back to the Borla ATAKs.

The advantage to the catted aftermarket H is mostly cleaner, less restricted exhaust flow. The H gives you a more old school sound compared to an X-pipe, but the sound maker is the muffler itself. The MRT H bolts right in, whether or not you change mufflers. It makes things flow more smoothly to whatever sound maker you have on the back end.

Good luck, and enjoy the mods.

Quinn

Thanks Blue. Great info..very useful. I'm in the same boat with the sound deal. I LOVE the Corsas...but, I'd like a little more attitude. If you say normal driving is not overburdening sound wise, but it gets loud when you get on the throttle, I am fine with that. Glad to hear one persons feedback on the lack of a need to install headers to change out the mid pipe.

Did you notice any performance gains?

Beautiful ride BTW!

horse power gains where everthing together , tune, pulley shorty headers,mide\ pipe and corsa a total of about 50 hp . hope thats helps and thanks for the complement. brothers mid pipe i like a little better, plus they are stainlees , magnaflow where on back order at the time i was looking to buy and they where double the price of brothers and lethal , if you need to here the sound i will be aviable the weekend sat or sun i will start it while we r on the phone so you can get some kind of sound clip , let me know, i hope the info helps without wasting money like i did

• 2 months later...

I installed the Lethal Performance 3" H pipe. Of course you will need to re-tune in order to turn off the rear 02. You can expect about 15HP difference. Mine goes through a cat back Stainless Works exhaust and I love the deep

sound.