TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Explorer?

It appears that the Shelby F150 Super Snake never took off as a need for a hot rod truck wasn't in demand or it was the cost but I have a better idea... how about a Shelby Explorer? The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 surprisingly sells fairly well for them considering its a $68k to $73k Jeep! I think there would be more of a demand for an SUV over the hot rod Pickup and based on the new design of the Explorer a Shelby version could be quite bad ass! However, I guess the negative part is no V8 and not sure what they can do with that eco-boost 6-banger? Yea, the new F150 has the 5.0 but for the performance buyers an SUV will sell more than a pickup hence why Dodge doesn't do their V10 Viper pickup and still offers the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee.

SAI has to do more than the new Shelby GT and Raptor to stay in business so would anyone buy a Shelby Explorer with a 6-banger?

Too bad Shelby wasn't doing this back when the Bronco was around; that would have been something fun to see.

The only problem is SRT Cherokees don't have to go to a facility outside of Dodge for a pre-title package and then be sent back: a Shelby explorer would, or, like the Raptor (correct me if I'm wrong you won't hurt my feelings :hysterical: ) Ford does not offer the Raptor as a Shelby at any point but rather if you want a Shelby Raptor you have to take your SVT Raptor over to Shelby yourself.

Technically, the match of an SRT Cherokee would be an SVT Explorer.

Just an idea with the Explorer but if Shelby only doing the new Shelby GT version which will be limited based on the cost and the Shelby Raptor which has been limited due to the cost that is not enough to pay the bills all around. I know they are still building the Cobra but is this enough to stay in business I don't know

I wish SAI and B. Neale enterprises would just have an agreement so they could do the Terlingua Mustangs again which were popular and would be a good seller

Maybe SAI has other cars on the horizon but with what, who knows? A Shelby Taurus, I think I threw up in my mouth a little after saying that.

Ford doesn't offer me the Mustang I want because they do not offer the GT500 or new GT350 with an automatic so if I want something other than a GT, I go to Shelby or Roush or Saleen so I'm just hoping they're around for a long time

Wait, I do need a tow vehicle so how about a Shelby F350 Super Duty Dually? lol

Maybe SAI has other cars on the horizon but with what, who knows? A Shelby Taurus, I think I threw up in my mouth a little after saying that.

There is a really nice Roush Taurus that I see every now and then; I wasn't sure if such a thing existed, and as far as I know Roush sells a few add-ons for the Taurus but that doesn't mean its a real package. Either way, the taurus is definitely capable of looking and performing with aggression. As for the question of why.....well, why not is all I can come up with.

It appears that the Shelby F150 Super Snake never took off as a need for a hot rod truck wasn't in demand or it was the cost but I have a better idea... how about a Shelby Explorer? The Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 surprisingly sells fairly well for them considering its a $68k to $73k Jeep! I think there would be more of a demand for an SUV over the hot rod Pickup and based on the new design of the Explorer a Shelby version could be quite bad ass! However, I guess the negative part is no V8 and not sure what they can do with that eco-boost 6-banger? Yea, the new F150 has the 5.0 but for the performance buyers an SUV will sell more than a pickup hence why Dodge doesn't do their V10 Viper pickup and still offers the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee.

SAI has to do more than the new Shelby GT and Raptor to stay in business so would anyone buy a Shelby Explorer with a 6-banger?

Let me just throw this amendment in here- The Shelby F150 SS never took off BECAUSE Shelby offered in 2009 ONLY on trucks up to 2008. So, right off the bat, you had to go find a truck still on a dealer lot from the previous year model, and the 09s were a good upgrade over the 2008s. So then a person had to decide if they wanted the newest Ford, or an outdated Shelby.

You can also make the same case for the rarity of the Terlingua. We all knew the new 3.6 V6 with 80 more HP was coming in the 2010, and many of us waited for the Terlingua program to announce the new version. (The body kit from the 2005-2009 would not fit a 2010+) Next thing we knew, the program was completely shutdown without any notice whatsoever. One day you could have a Terlingua built, the next day, it was gone. I suspect some shenanigans were involved so a certain someone could guarantee the last one built, but that could only be verified by the person that ran the program at the time who is no longer an employee, and probably would never admit to that.

The SALEEN Exploder was a fairly decent attempt at what your asking about. But back then they offered the 5.0 and it was tweaked.

I had the SALEEN wing on the rear of my 2dr. Sport. Lots of folks asked me if it was a SALEEN when I was parked in various places. I also had a 2007 Mustang GT hood scoop and a FORD RACING windshield banner on it. :headspin:

The fact that it was white also led people to believe it may be one. I miss that darn thing! :cry:

post-5340-0-72430100-1429908423_thumb.jpg

The SALEEN Exploder was a fairly decent attempt at what your asking about. But back then they offered the 5.0 and it was tweaked.

I had the SALEEN wing on the rear of my 2dr. Sport. Lots of folks asked me if it was a SALEEN when I was parked in various places. I also had a 2007 Mustang GT hood scoop and a FORD RACING windshield banner on it. :headspin:

The fact that it was white also led people to believe it may be one. I miss that darn thing! :cry:

Yes, I'm aware of the Saleen Explorers and looked a used one once but those Explorers were crap compared to the new ones. I passed one yesterday and it sits low and looks like a performance vehicle already so Shelby could make it bad ass. Jeep does sell quite a few SRT Grand Cherokee's and at $67k to $74k people are buying them. I would buy a Grand Cherokee its the best SUV by far but interior room is a little small so probably will buy another F350 Dually

I would buy a Grand Cherokee its the best SUV by far but interior room is a little small so probably will buy another F350 Dually

At least those both come with automatics. :hide:

:hysterical:

A Shelby Explorer upgrade would be an interesting vehicle. Take the Eco twin turbo 6 Sport and boost the HP (similar to the new Ford 450 HP Raptor), brakes, cooling, exhaust, suspension, body and interior modifications could be a real attention grabber that I would consider. First, put in full instrumentation. The twin turbo Sport only has fuel, temp and tach. digital display; no turbo boost, volt or fuel pressure gauges.

• 2 weeks later...

At least those both come with automatics. :hide:

:hysterical:

What's the joke here?

• 2 weeks later...

A Shelby Explorer upgrade would be an interesting vehicle. Take the Eco twin turbo 6 Sport and boost the HP (similar to the new Ford 450 HP Raptor), brakes, cooling, exhaust, suspension, body and interior modifications could be a real attention grabber that I would consider. First, put in full instrumentation. The twin turbo Sport only has fuel, temp and tach. digital display; no turbo boost, volt or fuel pressure gauges.

As an Exploder Sport owner, (and an SHO)

I also would love this, and the turbos can definitely be upgraded for serious HP gains. BUT

The AWD drivetrain is a weakpoint as may be the tranny. Those that have done SHO and Exploder HP gains have had their fair share of issues. I think this limits what Livernois is will to do on a large scale over their tune and exhaust options, and the bigger guys like Roush and Shelby from wanting to tap that market.

I dont have near the insight or insider information of many of the posters here.......but my take is that SA's prodigious and seemingly unending run of putting one of these packages together and then selling an amazing 5, 10 or even, bless their souls, 50 cars is what has run them into the ground to this point and nearly bankrupted them.

And furthermore, as a company run by bean counters now,........no one would take the chance for fear of burying what little remains of the once proud builder of amazing machines.

I brought up the idea of a Shelby Explorer and forget the eco-boost because I just watched the video on the 2017 707hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk!!

How Ford thinks their eco-boost could even compete with that Hemi is laughable. I hate to say this but Dodge/Jeep is building them and if you build them they will come. Ford is driving buyers to the Darkside with forcing the eco-boost down our throats! Don't say no because a few years down the road there may be NO more V8 in the Mustang the rate Ford is going with this

• 5 months later...

As an Exploder Sport owner, (and an SHO)

I also would love this, and the turbos can definitely be upgraded for serious HP gains. BUT

The AWD drivetrain is a weakpoint as may be the tranny. Those that have done SHO and Exploder HP gains have had their fair share of issues. I think this limits what Livernois is will to do on a large scale over their tune and exhaust options, and the bigger guys like Roush and Shelby from wanting to tap that market.

In order to copy the power output of the Twin turbo Raptor, would you think that the tranny on the Explorer would have be a 4 wheel, not all AWD, like the Raptor? And would that require a chassis design and drivetrain changes s that would make the an SHO powered Explorer impossible?

• 2 weeks later...

In order to copy the power output of the Twin turbo Raptor, would you think that the tranny on the Explorer would have be a 4 wheel, not all AWD, like the Raptor? And would that require a chassis design and drivetrain changes s that would make the an SHO powered Explorer impossible?

Well, there are big differences in the 3.5 from the Exporer/SHO to the Raptor, and then again to the Ford GT.

In theory, the explorer should handle Rator output levels fine, because Livernois and Lund already offer upgrades to 400 hp levels. A big difference there is the 10 speed auto in the raptor v the 6 we got in the explorer. I haven't seen a 600hp explorer, but read an article on someone's 600hp SHO. So it is capable of it without conversion of drive trains. Don't know how long it lasts though....

• 1 year later...

The decision for the F150 Supersnake was, in theory, to tap a large market of trucks that had already been purchased, possibly paid for, and ready to mod.

The failure I see is only offering a post title products. To my knowledge Roush only offers a pre-titled Mustang/F150 through dealers (and this is completely ignoring the fact the Roush has multiple other business that support their bottom line). Yes, the SGT and KR were slow to sell as pre-title products but that was the fault of the dealers, their ridiculous mark ups, and the lack of marketing by Ford and Shelby. Jeep does sell a decent amount of SRT Cherokees, but how many would they sell if they had to tell the buyer 'I don't have one on the lot, but we can help you work a deal with SRT, who you will have to pay out of pocket because the bank isn't likely to provide you a loan on a $50-$60k SUV with $20-$30k in modifications, but it will be built to your specs with off the self parts at a premium cost and can be delivered 3-6 months from now.' The crowd that is will to do that is small, very, very small.

Ford has surely out sold Shelby with the 16-17 GT350 over the 11-14 GT350. Why? Because they are on the lot to be had today with your choice of bank and financing.

Edited by EL SHELBY