TEAM SHELBY FORUM

I Just Saw This About Planet Cobra But They Are Calling It Planet Shelby

David Hawkins

Is Planet Cobra / Planet Shelby, which ever one it is this week, the ONLY Dealer for SAI Cobra's? If so, WHY? I would have thought that, after the last Law Suit, SAI would have ended their Licensing Contract with them.

One of my companies currently has contracts/sales agreements with I'd say probably 40 different manufacturers. Included in them is a covenance so to speak written in favor of the manufacturer, regarding litigation directed toward them, misbehavior of any sort and a whole lot of other rules set forth by them. I'm giving SAI the benefit of the doubt on this one that they know exactly what they're doing and were completely within their rights !

Stephen Becker Automobile group Inc files suit against Shelby American Inc

lg-share-en.gif

In a move to fight back against alleged acts of unfair competition and breach of its Dealer Agreement, Stephen Becker Automotive Group, Inc. DBA Planet Shelby Cobra has filed suit today in Los Angeles Superior Court against Shelby American, Inc., a subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. a publicly traded corporation symbol: CSBI

April 10, 2015 (MMD Newswire) -- In its Complaint, Stephen Becker Automotive Group alleges that in its Dealer Agreement with Shelby American, Inc ("SAI"), SAI was required to sell its vehicles "through a network of Shelby authorized independent dealers," such as Plaintiff. Additionally, pursuant to the Agreement, Plaintiff alleges that SAI was required to refer any sales leads it obtained, through its website or by any other means, to authorized dealerships like Plaintiff. The Complaint alleges that in December of 2014, SAI began to engage in direct sales of vehicles to members of the general public and therefore stopped referring customers to Plaintiff. In addition, the Complaint alleges that SAI failed to allocate its 2015 Anniversary Vehicles to the independent dealerships according to a fair or reasonable formula as required by California law.

The Complaint alleges that SAI's conduct violated Plaintiff's Dealer Agreement as well as California and Nevada statutes against unfair competition. The Complaint seeks unspecified damages for loss of investment, lost interest, loss of business goodwill and lost profits on business revenues that would have been earned if SAI acted in good faith and dealt fairly with Plaintiff. The complaint also seeks unspecified punitive damages claiming that SAI acted with a conscious disregard for Plaintiff's rights, and with the intent to injure Plaintiff such as to constitute oppression, fraud, or malice under California Civil Code Section 3294.

The Law Offices of Michael A. Brewer filed the lawsuit on behalf of Stephen Becker Automotive Group. Mr. Brewer can be reached at 2020 Main Street, Suite 900, Irvine, CA 92614, or at (949) 679-6060

Superior Court of the state of California for the Count of Los Angeles, Central District. Case Number: BC577978

See complaint here: http://mmdnewswire.com/images/press-release-10/Complaint-BC577978.pdf

###

It would be nice to know the facts here. Such as, is SAI selling rollers out the side doors to folks who want Joe's Cobra Shop to finish them (or do it at home in their own garage), or are they selling completed, finished cars like the dealers do?

Engine & Trans NOT Included.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/images/pdf/2015_50th427_Web.pdf

SOLD OUT

I openly commented that I thought Steven Becker was a asshole in the last round of lawsuits.

I will now openly apologize to Steven Becker.

Mr. Becker, I sincerely apologize. I am sorry I jumped to any conclusions regarding you vs. Shelby American. I can now see I was wrong.

I hope you make out as well with this suit as you did with the last one.

As I said then, "only time will tell".

Phillip Roy Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Could it be that Shelby's posture in all this is to fail and make it seem as if it were someone else's fault? Seems to me they have acted in questionable ways before, as if they have little or no clue, or are so far ahead as to be inscrutable.

Any road, the positive Shelby history until now so far outweighs the little negative as to be impervious to such minor hiccups.

There are 10 other Licensed Cobra Dealers..............

http://www.shelby-cars.com/

"Shelby Cars NW LLC is owned by Nevada Classics LLC, and is the oldest, factory-authorized Shelby Cobra dealer in the world."

Hmm... Seems like it's mainly Planet Cobra that SA seems to have difficulty with. And from I've seen, it seems like it all started shortly after Carroll's passing...

Yeah....as soon as I read this from Post #11

"The Complaint seeks unspecified damages for loss of investment, lost interest, loss of business goodwill and lost profits on business revenues that would have been earned if SAI acted in good faith and dealt fairly with Plaintiff."

The first thing I thought was "ADM".

The first thing I thought was "ADM".

You mean, like selling a brand new Cobra for $500K???

That was Shelby. Not Becker.

Phill

Why is Planet Cobra the only dealer complaining then? Why aren't the other dealers up in arms as well? Maybe their contract aren't the same i don't know but you would think Shelby selling a Cobra would have more then just one dealer complaining. Evidently it's in their contract, but I think Shelby should be able to sell a Cobra directly to someone if someone comes directly to them.

Why is Planet Cobra the only dealer complaining then? Why aren't the other dealers up in arms as well? Maybe their contract aren't the same i don't know but you would think Shelby selling a Cobra would have more then just one dealer complaining. Evidently it's in their contract, but I think Shelby should be able to sell a Cobra directly to someone if someone comes directly to them.

Unfortunately it is illegal, by state law, in most states for a manufacturer to sell automobiles directly to the public. They must go through their dealer network.

Tesla is finding this out the hard way also.

Yea I mean it makes sense that you aren't allowed to undercut your dealers. I was just saying I think it should be allowed to sell directly. Unfortunately it looks like SA may find this out the hard and expensive way. I just hope it gets resolved quickly and doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately it is illegal, by state law, in most states for a manufacturer to sell automobiles directly to the public. They must go through their dealer network.

Tesla is finding this out the hard way also.

Tesla has "Turn Key" Cars.......the 50th Cobras were "Rollers" NOT "Turn Key", there is NO Engine or Transmission.

Archived