TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Future Shelby Gt Value...

DaveWms

My two cents: If you buy a SGT now for an investment, it will pay off for your kids/grandkids, not you! Let's use the original 60's GT350 as an example - it's taken it 40+ years to appreciate to the values we're seeing today, and there were fewer of them made!

Don't get me wrong, you will see "one of one" or similar types going for the higher dollar, but as a general rule of thumb, I really doubt we'll see any decent return on our money in the near future!

Buy it and drive it is my rule - can't enjoy it when you're dead!

Sam

I disagree with you. By 1978, the 1965 Shelbys were selling for over double what they cost new. The 1966 and 1967s were also doing well. By 1980, all of the vintage Shelbys were selling for much more than they cost new.

Edited by springer

I disagree with you. By 1978, the 1965 Shelbys were selling for over double what they cost new. The 1966 and 1967s were also doing well. By 1980, all of the vintage Shelbys were selling for much more than they cost new.

I disagree, those were much different times, not relevant to today at all. No performance since the early 70's and the future of performance vehicles looked just as bleak which caused the sharp rise in values of first-generation musclecars. Not so today. We've had performance cars for years and no end in sight to the musclecar wars. In fact, they have escalated exponentially recently.

Throw inflation in the mix and the value still wasn't really doubling. Now, once you hit the late 80's and early 90's, that's when things started to move in a more profitable direction, and of course by today, we're seeing crazy money for those cars!

Sam

I disagree, those were much different times, not relevant to today at all. No performance since the early 70's and the future of performance vehicles looked just as bleak which caused the sharp rise in values of first-generation musclecars. Not so today. We've had performance cars for years and no end in sight to the musclecar wars. In fact, they have escalated exponentially recently.

You can disagree all you want, I stated facts for back then, not now. It did not take 40 years for the early Shelbys to substantially appreciate in value. Additionally, I do not believe for a second that it will be 40 years before my GT/SC is worth substantially more than what it was new.

Edited by springer

You can disagree all you want, I stated facts for back then, not now. It did not take 40 years for the early Shelbys to substantially appreciate in value. Additionally, I do not believe for a second that it will be 40 years before my GT/SC is worth substantially more than what it was new.

That all depends on what you call Substantially. Shelby's didn't start receiving crazing prices until the late 80's. Mid to late 70's, you could still get a 65-66 Shelby for under $30K. I had a chance to trade my modified 1965 Mustang Coupe and $500.00 for a nice 1969 Shelby G.T. 350 and that was in 1984, and I only had $1,500.00 in my Mustang.

That was then, the same won't hold true today.

In the end, it's a numbers game - a real crap shoot to try and determine what will be collectible and what will be forgotten!

I still think the SGT is a great car, but my instincts say it won't offer a decent MONETARY rate of return to ME. I'm getting my money back by driving it and not really looking at the investment side of things - let my kids worry about that!

Sam

I like the 2005-2009 bodystyle best, but I didn't realize there were so many special editions to choose from.

I've started a list to use to search by, but don't want to leave any out.

If anyone has the inclination, it'd be a great help if they could add/correct/complete if you see a mistake:

2007 SGT - Black (___ of 6000)

2007 SGT - White (___ of 6000)

2008 SGT - Blue

2008 SGT - Blue, Convertible

- Orange

Others to consider (Year/Date/Color/etc):

GT/SC

GT-H - Black

Nor Cal

So Cal

Barrett Jackson

Thanks,

Dave

I like the 2005-2009 bodystyle best, but I didn't realize there were so many special editions to choose from.

I've started a list to use to search by, but don't want to leave any out.

If anyone has the inclination, it'd be a great help if they could add/correct/complete if you see a mistake:

2007 SGT - Black (___ of 6000)

2007 SGT - White (___ of 6000)

2008 SGT - Blue

2008 SGT - Blue, Convertible

- Orange

Others to consider (Year/Date/Color/etc):

GT/SC

GT-H - Black

Nor Cal

So Cal

Barrett Jackson

Thanks,

Dave

Terlingua

CS6

CS8

GT-CS/SC

GT-CS/Turbo

That all depends on what you call Substantially. Shelby's didn't start receiving crazing prices until the late 80's. Mid to late 70's, you could still get a 65-66 Shelby for under $30K. I had a chance to trade my modified 1965 Mustang Coupe and $500.00 for a nice 1969 Shelby G.T. 350 and that was in 1984, and I only had $1,500.00 in my Mustang.

Thanks for making my point. Selling for six times the price of what they cost me is a very substantial price increase in 15 to 16 years for the original Shelbys. If my 2008 SGT convertible appreciated the same amount in 16 years, that would make it worth round $280,000 in eight more years - and I don't think that is going to happen.

For me, substantially increasing in price from retail could be 50 or 100%, take your pick. Very substantial would be many times more. Most cars never appreciate in value, the Shelbys will someday. Again, I don't see it taking 40 years for the SGTs to substantially increase in value. They made a million Mustangs between 1965-1966. Who ever thought they would become a collector car 10 years after their release. By the late 1970s Mustangs were a hot commodity.

Edited by springer

Fun facts and speculations. Remember in the late '60s when the Daytona Coupes were sitting in one of Shelby's back parking lots and he couldn't get anyone to take them for $6000! Now they get six million t auction. 1966 Shelby GT350 cars were returned to Shelby and they were let go for $1000 each. A few fans picked them up. Most people felt they were just bused rentals and would rather buy bigger block cars from Ford or any other manufacturer. The numbers did start to climb in the late 1980s but who wants to wait that long these days for future value?

Not a Bad price for a California Special. It's not a Shelby and they made Thousands of them.

I guess I misunderstood an earlier post, thinking the GT/CS and some others were versions of SGTs.

I'm really only interested in Shelby-built Mustangs.

I've set my budget around $20k, so choosing from the SGT variations seem to be my best choice. (I don't want to go into retirement with the insurance payments of a GT500!)

The 2008 SGTs have me confused; I thought they only came in blue, but someone mentioned Grabber Orange. Are there other colors, too?

I guess I misunderstood an earlier post, thinking the GT/CS and some others were versions of SGTs.

I've set my budget around $20k, so choosing from the SGT variations seem to be my best choice. (I don't want to go into retirement with the insurance payments of a GT500!)

The 2008 SGTs have me confused; I thought they only came in blue, but someone mentioned Grabber Orange. Are there other colors, too?

I will see if I can get the Info on the White 2007 GT that has about 34K Miles and the owner only wants $18,000.00.

just keep in mind if and when you buy one, depending on what you buy, they may show up as a Mustang GT to your insurance company. This will give you cheaper payments BUT if something happens you can't go back and say ..... but it's a Shelby GT!!! or If you tell your insurance carrier that you just bought a Shelby GT/SC and they ask "what's that?" and you tell them it's a 550HP Shelby! Whoops there goes that cheap payment.