TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Advice On Replacing Frpp Suspension

UKGT500

Hi, I have Ford's FRPP suspension which is the stock struts/springs/shocks for the 2011/2012 GT500 with performance package option. It's been on for more than a year but I am starting to find that around town it's getting me down: i.e. too bumpy.

I intend to keep my Watts link, LCAs and relocation brackets but was considering changing the above suspension back to stock.

Reason I ask is because I have never known what my car rides or corners like with stock suspension. When I bought it (with 7,600 miles) it had stock shocks and struts but Eibach springs and it absolutely drove like a pile of garbage due to the suspension being mismatched.

I don't have the original springs but can get hold of some that were new take-offs.

Worth trying out or is there a more comfortable alternative to what I have?

Thanks, Malc

Malc,

It's worth trying the stock spring rates with the FRPP struts and shocks just so you can get an idea of what the difference is in just springs. That way you can identify if spring rates are the issue that you are having with the ride quality. JMO

I have the PP Suspension off of the 2012 GT500 and like it very much.

It's not nearly as rough as the FRPP suspension but still a good ride.

I also have a set of springs and shocks for the KR.

The KR suspension is a bit rougher than the PP suspension, but not nearly as rough as the FRPP setup.

Thanks for the tips. I guess it will always be a compromise. I am very pleased with how my car handles and holds the road - it is absolutely night and day from how it was. Ford do warn that the FRPP maintains a "reasonable ride". When I first installed it I was happy because it probably didn't seem as rough riding as I was expecting. Now I have driven it a lot it doesn't seem so great.

I am told Tokico D specs are no longer available. I had them on my 2005 GT and wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be no matter what settings I used.

I may look at the 2012 PP mentioned above. There's a Ford Racing set with adjustable shocks for $1500 (sounds possibly like they use rebadged Tokicos?) which is advertised as giving "improved ride quality". If that means better than stock it sounds like quite acclaim if handling is also improved.

Thanks, Malc