TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Challenged by a new GTO

..was driving home with my youngest son (18) today on a rural highway (2 lanes each way, with a median) when a new gto (newer version with the higher hp engine) comes alongside and blasts his exhaust at me, and starts acting real agressive next to me. His car sounded pretty good actually, but me and mark were just cruising along with the radio and ac going, and not really looking for a fight. Well, some road construction comes up and he pulls in behind me as the road goes to 1 lane, and rides my bumper close for about 5 miles. :censored: Come out of the construction zone with an open lane in front of me just at the perfect speed to drop to 2nd and go wot for a few seconds. A few seconds of wot is all it took to use up all the open space I had, that seemed like a huge expanse when I started :happy feet:

Well, no smoke coming from the tires since I left the traction control on, but apparently the corsa sound and the sheer acceleration did the trick. The sucker stayed 100' behind me in the other lane for the next 5 minutes, and then quickly went by me without an extra sound or look in my direction. Lost his agressiveness apparently :hysterical:

My son did suggest that I give him a bit more warning before I get into it in the future. :hysterical2: He apparently had not yet been exposed to what the stage 2 is capable of.

Smokem if you gotem. :hysterical2:

..was driving home with my youngest son (18) today on a rural highway (2 lanes each way, with a median) when a new gto (newer version with the higher hp engine) comes alongside and blasts his exhaust at me, and starts acting real agressive next to me. His car sounded pretty good actually, but me and mark were just cruising along with the radio and ac going, and not really looking for a fight. Well, some road construction comes up and he pulls in behind me as the road goes to 1 lane, and rides my bumper close for about 5 miles. :censored: Come out of the construction zone with an open lane in front of me just at the perfect speed to drop to 2nd and go wot for a few seconds. A few seconds of wot is all it took to use up all the open space I had, that seemed like a huge expanse when I started :happy feet:

Well, no smoke coming from the tires since I left the traction control on, but apparently the corsa sound and the sheer acceleration did the trick. The sucker stayed 100' behind me in the other lane for the next 5 minutes, and then quickly went by me without an extra sound or look in my direction. Lost his agressiveness apparently :hysterical:

My son did suggest that I give him a bit more warning before I get into it in the future. :hysterical2: He apparently had not yet been exposed to what the stage 2 is capable of.

That's what I like to hear, no playing just spankem or smokem! HE,HE :shift: :burnout: :speedie: Bye, Bye!

I have run into a few GTOs locally at the track. I saw three out the other night and one of the guys consistently ran 12.3s. There is also a turbo GTO in the area that is bad ass. In general though I believe the GTOs to be 13 second cars. Anyone else have more insight?

I have run into a few GTOs locally at the track. I saw three out the other night and one of the guys consistently ran 12.3s. There is also a turbo GTO in the area that is bad ass. In general though I believe the GTOs to be 13 second cars. Anyone else have more insight?

Only insight I can give is I spanked one too, even IF one has a turbo it's one of few that do and with you having a KB that GTO would need 2 turbo's and serious cash cause that car would need serious changes to the body for stiffen. Also to get close to your rwhp#'s then he would have to worry about stopping with stock brakes not to mention change the cooling system that would need upgraded too. Who knows what else it would need to handle the power.

Just sold my 05 GTO, for the money it was a great car. Credit due for any 400 plus HP car that any manufacture makes. I enjoyed the car as it had a nice interior, handled great with IRS and was easily modded. Conventional Mods headers, cam, CAI, and tune, ported TB would get you into the 450 plus RWHP area. Problom is the inner Quarter panel had a lip that needed to be rolled flat to allow bigger tires. The car had so much torque you had to ease in to it to get it to hook. ( I still had the stock tires also ) The brakes were improved for the 05 and 06 cars and were great. I spanked several strong cars including a 70- 454 Chevelle, SRT 8-Hemi charger, and couple of mustang GT's. I lined up beside a GT500 on hwy 27 going out of town and tried to get him to run me and he wouldn't. No traffic, straight shot also. Im sure I would of lost that one but would have liked the fun of trying any way. I bought the car because of the over all performance was much better than the GT. Loved it but couldn't stand to look at it plus answer questions like is it rear wheel drive or does it have a v8?

I later met that guy in the Shelby and believe it or not he let me drive it (nice guy) I eased the car up to a blinding speed of 62 mph. I didn't need to stomp it I know 500 hp (wasn't my car to do that to anyway ) but it let me get a feel for the car and I was hooked. Just in the short drive I was impressed. Sold the goat and July-August I will begin the hunt for my 500. I could get it sooner if you please send your donation to regalt87@aol.com Thanks. Scott.

Edit- finially got my GT 500 and feel that my old goat was just as fast in it's modded state. But stage 2 VMP JLT 373's are ordered and I am confident that there will no longer be any doubt.

..consistent low 13.3s and 13.4s with a good driver. Local guy drove one with DRs and a catback to 12.89. He put a turbo on it and is hoping for around 600 rwhp with alcohol injection. Nothing to take for granted with that set up.

It's a lot of fun breaking out the whoopass once in a while. :happy feet: :happy feet: I bet the GTO won't be telling that story to his friends :hysterical2::hysterical2:

Just sold my 05 GTO, for the money it was a great car. Credit due for any 400 plus HP car that any manufacture makes. I enjoyed the car as it had a nice interior, handled great with IRS and was easily modded. Conventional Mods headers, cam, CAI, and tune, ported TB would get you into the 450 plus RWHP area. Problom is the inner Quarter panel had a lip that needed to be rolled flat to allow bigger tires. The car had so much torque you had to ease in to it to get it to hook. ( I still had the stock tires also ) The brakes were improved for the 05 and 06 cars and were great. I spanked several strong cars including a 70- 454 Chevelle, SRT 8-Hemi charger, and couple of mustang GT's. I lined up beside a GT500 on hwy 27 going out of town and tried to get him to run me and he wouldn't. No traffic, straight shot also. Im sure I would of lost that one but would have liked the fun of trying any way. I bought the car because of the over all performance was much better than the GT. Loved it but couldn't stand to look at it plus answer questions like is it rear wheel drive or does it have a v8?

I later met that guy in the Shelby and believe it or not he let me drive it (nice guy) I eased the car up to a blinding speed of 62 mph. I didn't need to stomp it I know 500 hp (wasn't my car to do that to anyway ) but it let me get a feel for the car and I was hooked. Just in the short drive I was impressed. Sold the goat and July-August I will begin the hunt for my 500. I could get it sooner if you please send your donation to regalt87@aol.com Thanks. Scott.

Thanks for the post Scott. I almost bought a GTO before the Shelby came along. Good luck in your hunt for the GT500.

I got beat by a GTO at the strip. I ran a 12.2 and lost to a girl that had 600-650 rwhp in that GTO and did the fender work for some bigger Nitto's (I had stock rubber). She had a custom fuel system, procharger, headers, and line locks etc. I knew I was beat before we lined up as we go to the same garage but she is very cool. Knows more about cars than most guys and is a decent driver too. We ran 2 times. She won both but the 11.8 to 12.2 was a great race. She drives the car daily yr round and is looking to swap from the IRS bbecause even with my crappy 2+ 60' time I was slightly ahead there because she couldn't launch hard for fear of braking something.

The rest of GTO's would have been cars I could have beat but this thing was Super Goat.....I'm looking forward to the next run though as I have a few changes since then and a few on the way (ET Streets, line licks, QA1 rear shocks, eibach springs etc). No more power but think I will be low - mid 11's and she's still going to be mid to upper 11's until that rear gets done - by then I'll have new blower and throw down equal or more power.

Over all the GTO is a nice car for the money if you look at performance - They really missed a chance to do something though with using that Grand am body. If the car looked even remotely decent they would have done what ford did with the GT500.

As I said I give credit for any 400 plus HP car. I also agree that GM missed a great opportunity by using Holden's Monaro and calling it a GTO rather than re-tooling for something else. The first year retro 2004 had no scoops, small breaks and smaller rear axles. Sadly even though they made significant changes for 05 and 06, the cars fate was already sealed. The Camero will be a neat retro but I am not too sure they are a bit late. I think they should have brought it to production sooner. There may only be a couple of years of the high HP cars left. Lots of speculation about the government prohibiting the poor fuel mileage vehicles. I am afraid it might rain on our party just about the time it gets going good.

• 1 month later...

Good job! :happy feet: And I still remember doing the same thing with the '69 GT500 I had acquired in '86 when, after I had spent a few days getting it road-worthy and before the total restoration, a late model Vette wouldn't leave me alone while I was just enjoying the ride. I finally had to put him in his place.... I watched him, in my rear-view mirror, pull off the road after only a half mile, or so. :superhero:

I had the dreaded "double-post" for some reason!

Hi Scott,

I also bought one (LS2 engine) in January 05 and sold it in May 05. At the 5000 elevation where I live and the weight of the GTO it was a real pig. The IRS and interior was great, with lots of electronic gismos a fantastic stereo and all leather interior (not just where your butt sat). Turbos and S/C cars do much better at this elevation. The Shelby screams compared to the GTO.

Hi Scott,

I also bought one (LS2 engine) in January 05 and sold it in May 05. At the 5000 elevation where I live and the weight of the GTO it was a real pig. The IRS and interior was great, with lots of electronic gismos a fantastic stereo and all leather interior (not just where your butt sat). Turbos and S/C cars do much better at this elevation. The Shelby screams compared to the GTO.

The Shelby is much easier to mod. none of todays mods are cheap, but I would have had to spend twice the money on the goat to achieve what you can do with the Shelby. Now that I own one even though the Goat had IRS there is no comparison of handling between it and the Shelby.

Scott,

Is the GT500 you tried out on hwy27 a red/w? I am only asking because I see a guy quite often driving down hwy 27 in Haines City. The car is identical to mine and I only live about 25 miles from there in Kissimmee. Anyway, hope you are enjoying the car.

Wayne

Scott,

Is the GT500 you tried out on hwy27 a red/w? I am only asking because I see a guy quite often driving down hwy 27 in Haines City. The car is identical to mine and I only live about 25 miles from there in Kissimmee. Anyway, hope you are enjoying the car.

Wayne

The one I drove from Dundee was ken's white / blue stripes, nice of him to let me do that.

I live near Grenelefe and work in Orlando. Red / white stripes has write me a ticket painted all over it!! I have only driven it to orlando 3 times and still only have 1000 miles on it. Love the car but haven't driven it much, it's been raining every day and had contractors at the house for a month and still driving 3 Camry's left over from my auto sales business that I sold that I have been trying to get exposure and sell here in Orlando at work.

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. More than worring about the red/w getting a ticket is the fact that my license plate says FAST500.

I am pretty careful about where I have fun with it. Since I take it through the back roads from Kissimmee towards Dundee, it is fairly safe.

Anyway, I have had it four months and only have 292 miles on it so you can see I don't get a chance to drive it very often. I am on the road all of the time with the company car.

Look forward to seeing you cruising down the road one day.

Wayne

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. More than worring about the red/w getting a ticket is the fact that my license plate says FAST500.

I am pretty careful about where I have fun with it. Since I take it through the back roads from Kissimmee towards Dundee, it is fairly safe.

Anyway, I have had it four months and only have 292 miles on it so you can see I don't get a chance to drive it very often. I am on the road all of the time with the company car.

Look forward to seeing you cruising down the road one day.

Wayne

If your going to Dundee via Poinciana you go less than 1 mile from my house. Pm sent

Hey guys,

Small world. certain parts of 417 can be fun as well. The bridge accross lake Jessup is great as long as love bugs are not in season. Are you guys going to silver springs? As for the gto they run the 05 and up run low 13's and high 12's here. I beat both body styles/motors with my lightly modded mach. (dr's, intake, tune, x-pipe). They screamed at the top end of the track, but I killed them out of the hole. Each one had at least a cat back. The 04 was modded but ran 13.3's on a good pass at bradenton. Met Hulk Hogan that day. Nice guy, he was watching his son run the supra with his friends. BTW his daughter is better looking in real life than she is on tv.

Roger

Hey Roger,

Yes, I do like to run the 417. I have not made it over the Jessep bridge yet but will one day. Since my transponder is in my company car and I did not get one for the Mustang yet, I need to remember to start paying tolls. I ran quite a few of them since I am so used to the transponder. I think my next joy ride will be down the turnpike to Ft.Pierce. That should give me some time to play around with the car.

I noticed on your web site that Ed Boyd is in your club. Is that the same Ed that was with Tire Kingdom and Tuffy Auto?

Wayne

Archived