TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Track Wheel And Tire Setup

barspen

Looking at investing in a dedicated set of track wheels\tires this summer. I visit the track 2-3 time year (4x20 minute sessions) and run with intermediate and advanced street groups for fun.

Couple questions:

- Should I go for 18" and a specific size all the way around? Or is there any advantage\disadvantage to staggered tire size or staggered wheel sizes (18-front 19-rear) setup. Always wondered why the SVTPP used a 19-20 setup

- Not that familiar with track tire options. I know folks who run Toyo888. I've seen NT01 also thrown around on the forums. Looking for a good cost\performance tire that I can drive about 10 miles to the track in dry conditions. Hoping to get 4-8 track days out of a set.

- Any need to have track tires shaved prior to running them? If so, how do I find a place that does this?

Thus far, all my time\mods\$$\attention have been focused on suspension and brakes. Tires are my final piece...oh, and hitting my lines better :-)

THX,

JMO Barry -

I'd suggest you look at using the Nitto NT01 in a 275/40-18 on a 18"x9.5" wheel. I have a customer which has been running this set up on all four corners for years and he drives to/from the track along with on the track. It works well for him. He has the BBS 18"x9.5" wheels. The FRPP/BBS 18"x9.5" wheel are expensive but strong and they last (worth the price).

Edited by Albino500

- Any need to have track tires shaved prior to running them? If so, how do I find a place that does this?

THX,

D.O.T. R-compound tires won't need to be shaved, but you should have them heat cycled before delivery. Discount Tires offers the service for something like $15 per tire if you by the Nitto NT01s from them.

Mark

Thanks. Keeping my eyes open for a good deal on rims.

Blue Oval Industries has them for $1395.00 for 4. List is $550 a wheel.

They weight 21lbs. one of the lightest strong wheels out their.

Beware of Enkei have heard of a lot of failures

• 6 months later...

I would highly recommend the 18 inch wheels, there are plenty of 275x18 Continental tires (these are a little small for a mustang IMO) or the Pirellis in 305x660x18 and 305x680x18 front/rear that work pretty well with our cars. We use CCW wheels which will withstand nuclear war, but are a little pricey.

FWIW http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=9132.0

Yes, I revived this post

Edited by blacksheep-1

• 3 months later...

Took me about 10 months, but finally picked a dedicated wheel\tire setup for the track. The info in the thread was very helpful...Thank you!

I went with a 18x9.5 TSW Nurburgring wheels (used) on all fours and Nitto NT01 275/40/18. Just the tires mounted on today and they are super sticky, even cold. Couldn't believe how much road debris they picked up on a very short ride home.

Headed back out to AMP in West Phoenix in late March to give them my first run...Looking forward to comparing street verses R-compound.

20160204_233200007_iOS_zpsf7piicxu.jpg

20160204_233216227_iOS_zps4xs3ix8d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2013 GT500 PP & TP any issues with these wheels clearing the larger front brakes? I've tried a few that said they would fit but they did not clear the PP brakes. I am looking for the same this a set for the track.

Enkie PF01 18x9.5, but not the NT05 as in the photo. The NT05 is an awesome tire for the street, but unpredictable at the limit. NT01 I've read is s much better track tire as are Toyo proxes R888.

Photo is not my Shelby.

post-24566-0-24064700-1456372753_thumb.jpeg

Edited by EL SHELBY

I have a 2013 GT500 PP & TP any issues with these wheels clearing the larger front brakes? I've tried a few that said they would fit but they did not clear the PP brakes. I am looking for the same this a set for the track.

I don't think an 18" wheel will clear your 15" 6-piston Brembo's...but you might be able to find a good setup with 20's.

Ford racing BBS 18 x 9.5 fit your brakes without issue

A couple things to remember asbout tires for our new folks. In general, these tires dont wear out, they give up before you will ever see cord unless you have alignment issues. You still need to rotate them to get the maximum life from them. While tires can help a bad suspention, to truly be fast, you have to make the car handle. For you occational track timers, used tires will save you a lot of money. 4 year old new tires are very used and in some circumstances, dangerous

• 4 months later...

It sounds like 18 x 9.5" wheels on all four corners is the way to go on the track. Is there any advantage using a 275x 35 over a 275 x 40 tire?

Yes, the 35 will have less sidewall flex, better handling