TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Engine Oil???

KingCobra

Hey Guys,

I am finally getting my clutch redone and putting her back on the road. I was wanting to replace the engine oil with Royal Purple, but they don't make 5w50. The guy replacing my clutch recommended Mobil 1...possibly over the Royal Purple? I called Royal Purple and they sent me a list of recommended oils for our Shelby GT500's and they recommend the Royal Purple XPR 10w40, HPS 10w40 or the RP 5w40. What are the suggestions and experiences here? Thanks for the help as always. :)))

James.

Wow...that thread explained a lot but told me very little in terms of understanding what brands and viscosities were recommended the most, but thanks for posting.

Exactly! The point is there is no definite answer. It's all about personal preference.

King Cobra......after working on engines for 50 years, all I can tell you is don't worry so much about the "weight" of the oil (5W.....10W.....15W etc.) as you do about a good quality brand, such as Royal Purple, RedLine, Amsoil. Any of the oils suggested by Royal Purple would do a fine job protecting your engine, the 5W-40 being an excellent choice (as it has been shown that a 50 weight oil is not really beneficial in most street driven vehicles), so the 5W-40 gives you a good viscosity range and Royal Purple uses top end products. The only other old-timer advice is to make sure you change your oil/filter on a regular basis. I've seen many an engine which the owner used the cheapest, name brand oil they could find, but because they changed it like clockwork, those engines lasted a good, long while. So for us Shelby owners, if you're using a good, top-line oil and changing it on a regular basis, you will get a good life out of your engine. (That and keeping that tach out of the red :) )

Hah I just wrote this on another board... figured it would be applicable here :)

Here's a story FWIW I just changed my transmission fluid from the stock Motorcraft fill to the Amsoil fluid basically because of all the rave reviews I read on boards about how it "shifts like butter" and so on.

So I swapped the fluid.

There is absolutely NO perceivable difference in shifting.

I think with oil guys want to justify their purchase and so they do that.

Now... I think RP, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Motorcraft are all fine oils and you'd be fine going with any of them.

Like others wrote, change the oil at the recommended interval and change the filter and you'll be fine.

I have a fox body mustang ('91) that has almost 300k miles on it.

It's had Motorcraft, Mobil 1, and Royal Purple. But I change it at the required interval.

Of course you would... That's what Ford recommends. :)

It is hard to argue that point on the surface...

However, during a tour of the Niche Engine Plant at the Romeo Works, the assembly line Foreman would disagree.

A small group of us TS Guests cornered the man during our tour and asked about filters and lubricants -

While he did not condemn the Motorcraft product (made by Phillips Conoco), he did say it had "Quality Issues" and he does not use it in his car.

He uses Mobil 1 and gave a nod to Castrol and Pennsoil as well - also recommended using a Royal Purple oil filter, but NOT the Royal Purple oil product.

I have stopped using the Motorcraft product in favor of those mentioned above and use the FRPP FMS-M-6731-FL820 filter. :salute:

It is hard to argue that point on the surface...

However, during a tour of the Niche Engine Plant at the Romeo Works, the assembly line Foreman would disagree.

A small group of us TS Guests cornered the man during our tour and asked about filters and lubricants -

While he did not condemn the Motorcraft product (made by Phillips Conoco), he did say it had "Quality Issues" and he does not use it in his car.

He uses Mobil 1 and gave a nod to Castrol and Pennsoil as well - also recommended using a Royal Purple oil filter, but NOT the Royal Purple oil product.

I have stopped using the Motorcraft product in favor of those mentioned above and use the FRPP FMS-M-6731-FL820 filter. :salute:

I use castrol.