TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The Dark And Murky World Of Titling And Registering Your "continuation" Cobra

mikeljgt500kr

The last 4 weeks I have been traveling that odd road, it has been enlightening, and something I wish I had known long before I ordered a continuation CSX Cobra. Anyone else surprised at all the problems and twists and turns and "personalities"?

This forum is mostly Mustangs, with really only a few Cobra owners, and with a very low Cobra specific contribution rate. Don't you follow the Cobra forum at www.clubcobra.com? It's full of titling and registration topics, and all of the things that happen to and with the car.

P.S. I had no trouble getting my registration in Colorado. The VIN was the Shelby CSX VIN number and it qualified for the 5 year plate. At my time I had to pass emissions for year of engine but never again after that. I think now no test is needed.

I am not sure why New Mexico is so odd then. I was first told on the phone, just bring in the MSO, insurance card, and invoices/bill of sale and no problem. Then when I arrived at MVD, they took one look at the MSO and made some calls (the lady admitted she had never seen one of these before) and it came back that I needed to take the car, by trailer since I had no temp. tag, to the State Police/FBI district office and have a "level III" VIN and car inspection first. So, it took 2 weeks to get an appointment for that, as they do those only 1 day a month, I get there and two agents pour over the car with a fine tooth comb looking at every part they could see. Luckily I had the engine stamped with the CSX number, they liked that, they then went back to call MVD and talk. They finally emerged and pronounced the car a "Shelby American Inc. Component Vehicle", with a 2014 date and a VIN of CSX7972. So that is what the title and registration will say. Meanwhile I had a guy on the Club Cobra board (yes I also have talked about it over there), who offered a NY notarized form saying it was a 1964 Ford Convertible and swearing he had owned it since 1966. That looked too much like fraud to me. Anyway, I asked the State Policeman why all the trouble, he said these "kit" cars are known for being frauds and having stolen parts, especially Cobras, and they have them on their watch list whenever a Cobra is being titled and registered. So, these cars have a target on their backs around here, glad that is not everywhere.

I have never had to have a VIN inspection on a vehicle sold on an MSO before, so that was new, and always the MVD can do any VIN inspections I have had before, so that was also new for me. Just seemed funny about the increased scrutiny and attention for this little car.

• 5 months later...

I haven't been on in a while and thought I'd catch up quickly. The State of Missouri is just like New Mexico from the sounds of it. The highway patrol did have to check out the car for stolen parts, then send off a form, get a "new VIN" plate, then I had to make an appointment and have it installed. In a chicken and the egg thing, I couldn't get my plates until i had all this plus a state safety inspection but I couldn't drive it over to the inspection place without plates. It all worked out though. Plates say 289-SNK (Missouri only allows six letters max)

Sounds like you had some additional issues I didn't. I did not have to get another VIN plate installed, I also did not have to do any safety inspections, just filled out a form to state it had certain safety equipment. I do like your license plate, I should try to get another one for mine that is more descriptive like yours.

Archived