TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Daily Driver Tires

bsb14

I have stock size Michelin pilot supersports.incredibly sticky in all temps.lots of posts on them.went with

normal design.not ferrari or Porsche. More tread depth.they are a little rougher ride so im running them at 30psi

Edited by Torched10

I bought a set of Boss 302 Charcoal wheels and Pirelli 275/40/19 P Zero Nero tires just for that purpose. It is a square setup, and the tire height for the rear is close to the same diameter. As you know, this winter has been awful in the Northeast. Even with this setup, the car has been under cover since November. I'll keep them on until MA Inspection in April, then I'll put the other wheels and tires back on. As Torched10 said, the Michelins are a really good choice, not to mention one of the few choices to go with for the rest of the year on the stock wheel setup.

Pete

The regular MPSS's are better than GY below 60 but not great and I know I live in MN and get cool nights in spring/fall. If you truly want more all temp but want the staggered set up get the MPSS All Season versions. Same size as stock. Many have raved about them and I think my new Consumer Reports also agrees they are great All Season.

^^^^^ What he said. If you want a tire for colder temps AND summer, you should buy ONLY an "All Season" designated tire. The MPSS AS 3 all season is one of the best. I'd recommend the Continental DWS but, unfortunately, they don't make a tire that will match the stock size of my 2013. I currently am running the Toyo Proxus 4 Plus which is an all season high performance tire. I have 275/35/20's on rear as 285's were not available. The Toyo's run wide so they are the same width as the Goodyear F-1's (285) that came on the car. I have the stock replacement size Toyo's on the front. I've had the tires since the car was new (2012) and they are great. I ran them for a track day at Summit Point W.V. last summer and they were just fine. My next tires will be the Michelin PSS AS 3 all season tires. They are pretty expensive, but from all the feed-back, they are the hot lick for the Shelbys.

Edited by 03reptile

+1 for MPSS.

I'm not sure what your driving habits are but keep in mind, while A/S 3s are great tires, they're not available with the same speed rating the Shelby's original tires have.

A/3s carry a W rating, good for up to 168MPH, while MPSS carry a (Y) rating, good for 186+MPH.

+1 for MPSS.

I'm not sure what your driving habits are but keep in mind, while A/S 3s are great tires, they're not available with the same speed rating the Shelby's original tires have.

A/3s carry a W rating, good for up to 168MPH, while MPSS carry a (Y) rating, good for 186+MPH.

I couldn't care less in reference to the speed rating for the MSS versus the A/S 3. I'm not racing this car and most of the poster's don't either. A W rating is fine for the majority of the drivers. The F-1's are fine on a hot day and pushing the limits. For daily driving, they're crap.

I couldn't care less in reference to the speed rating for the MSS versus the A/S 3. I'm not racing this car and most of the poster's don't either. A W rating is fine for the majority of the drivers. The F-1's are fine on a hot day and pushing the limits. For daily driving, they're crap.

Well then, I guess your choice of tire is clear. Congrats.

I couldn't care less about cold weather performance, but a couple of you already covered that. Unfortunately, describing a tire as the "hot lick for Shelbys" does little to provide a complete and cogent answer to the OP's question. Whether it's important to you or not, I simply provided him with another data point (i.e., speed rating) for his consideration. In the end, I'm sure he'll do what each of does - base his decision on what's important to him.

From an engineering viewpoint the. Higher the max performance rating the more likelihood of 100% performance at a lower rating. Eg, the y tire Has higher performance probabilty at 168.than a 168 w rated tire.basically the y gives you more cushion.

This is beginning to sound like a "which oil is best" thread. LOL. My point is that the difference between the two ratings is so minuscule that it is not a negligible difference to daily driven performance cars. I think you'll not notice the difference or be in more danger of a catastrophic failure with a 168MPH high performance tire. Much of this is marketing hype. It's really apples and apples at that level unless you're competing at Le Mans.