TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carlisle Ford Nationals 2015 Jun 5-7, 2015

belltr

As expected, I can't squeeze it in. Too much stuff going on that week and weekend already...including daughters middle-school graduation on 6/5....carnival...BBQ....concert.... :runaway:

• 2 weeks later...

I drove all the way up from Texas so SOME of you better make it out. Had dinner tonight with the FGT guys but I'll be around for the whole weekend. Look for the tall goofy guy wearing SMC Event shirt. Car is parked in the SGT area.

I drove all the way up from Texas so SOME of you better make it out. Had dinner tonight with the FGT guys but I'll be around for the whole weekend. Look for the tall goofy guy wearing SMC Event shirt. Car is parked in the SGT area.

This is a really big Ford GT event. Too far for me though.

I saw your car but not you! Sorry I missed you, Sean. It was a huge turnout and I was busy looking at the new GT350R in black w/satin stripes/red trim and test driving all the Fords! :thumbsup:

Nice job on the SMC Events logo!

Edited by Secondo

What an amazing weekend. The Ford GT dinner was fantastic. Got to spend a lot of time talking with the Richardsons about their GT racing. The new GT350 R is wicked and sounds amazing...and...and...and...(yeah, it was that kind of weekend! )

What an amazing weekend. The Ford GT dinner was fantastic. Got to spend a lot of time talking with the Richardsons about their GT racing. The new GT350 R is wicked and sounds amazing...and...and...and...(yeah, it was that kind of weekend! )

And a picture link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204464363035343&type=1&l=f068ce6693

Sean, sorry I missed you also. It was a great event. Bought a brand new 20" rim AND tire for $140 as a spare for the trip home. Doing skyline drive, blue ridge parkway and tail of the dragon on the way back home.

me too... I did manage to spend some time with some tall goofy looking guy wearing an SMC event shirt though....

and Z man what did you do park and car and leave again.... I could see your car from where I was parked but I never saw you... :shrug:

Great pics Bill. Did you happen or recall seeing any 08/09 KR's? I did not see any in your picture portfolio. TS needs to organize an event next year!

Edit- I did just see a silver KR near the Super Snakes!

Edited by ShelbyKR664

Z man what did you do park and car and leave again.... I could see your car from where I was parked but I never saw you... :shrug:

Doug -

You should have texted or called me. I didn't see your car, so I didn't know you were there.

We only went up on Saturday, but the whole family was there.

The day went something like this….

Friday night the family decides that they would rather sleep later in the morning at eat a quick breakfast at home, rather than have to get up earlier to stop along the way (This should have been an omen for things to come). We agree on a departure time of 7:00am. Carlisle is about a 2 hour drive for us.

Saturday morning comes….we don’t get out of the house until 7:30am

On the drive up we find that part of the highway is posted at 70mph. Cool!!! Accelerate to just shy of 80mph (more on this later)

Arrive at the Carlisle exit at about 9:00am….wow that 70mph speed limit really saved us some time (more on this later)

Sit it traffic waiting to get into the fairgrounds (maybe 3 miles) for almost 45 minutes. Watch storm clouds roll in. Watch the rain drops start to fall. Refuse to use the windshield wipers…if you don’t use the wipers, it’s not really raining.

Get to the fairgrounds, find the Team Shelby tent and park in front of it. Mrs. Z doesn’t think we are in a ‘real’ parking space and thinks I should move the car. We decide, that since it is still raining, we will park the car under the Team Shelby tent ( a nice Cobra replica is already parked on one end of the tent). While backing up into the tent, I almost hit one of the tent poles.

Wipe down the car and clean the new rims (this was our first drive on the new Razor rims & tires)

Someone is starving because they didn’t eat breakfast and needs a snack. A couple warm soft pretzels do the trick

My daughter tells me she is freezing (due to the rain) and needs to go buy a sweatshirt. We go ‘shopping’ and end up buying he a $50 Shelby hooded pullover in black, with a big pink Shelby snake on it and Carroll’s signature on the arm. At least she looks cute in it.

Someone else needs to go to the rest room.

Now everyone else is hungry and asking if we can eat lunch early

I calmly mention that it is after 11:00am, and I haven’t even had a change to look at one car yet……we eat lunch.

Okay, the day gets better from here. We head over to the new car expo area to look at the latest Ford offerings and take a few test drives.

I get to see the prototype for the new GT350R….sweet! My son reaffirms his love of the new King Cab F-150 Pickup trucks. My daughter likes the RS Focus. My wife puts up with the rest of us (she is happy because we recently bought her a new Explorer Sport in red…very nice!)

In the time it takes my son and I to wait in line to drive a convertible base model Mustang and (or course) a King Cab F-150, my wife and daughter have driven 6 other models and taken a demo of the ‘park assist’ feature.

We head back over to the main fairgrounds, and I actually get to look at a few cars along the way.

Meet Camilo Pardo (designer of the Ford GT, artist, and all around cool dude), and get him to sign my racing helmet and a die-cast Ford GT. Gawk at more Ford GT’s in one place than I have ever seen before, and probably will ever see again….amazing.

My wife and daughter decide to hang out in the “ladies Oasis” area for a while…this gives me and my son time to run around and look at whatever I want to for a little while. We check out the GT350 display, finally find the Shelby American display and look at the Baha700 Shelby Raptor (Baha 700 = 700 hp), and the new Shelby GT Mustang. Chat with a few old Shelby Friends (Sammy & Keith) and meet the Shelby ‘new guy’, Gary S. (no Gary P. this year).

Get myself on stage for the Ms. Carlise Contest, stay there for the ‘walk around’ presentations of the GT350R and the Focus RS, as well as the infamous Burnout Contest. While I’m on stage, the family is in the stands. My son picks the winner of the Ms. Carlisle contest and my daughter picks the winner of the Burnout Contest. My wife continues to put up with me and is just glad she is upwind during the Burnout Contest.

At this point we wrap everything up and head home. It takes another 45 minutes (maybe more) to go the three miles back to the highway.

On the way home we pass one of those radar signs that display your speed and flash if you are speeding. As we approach it, it is flashing 67 mph. I look around and we are the only car around. I tell Mrs. Z it must be wrong because I am barely doing 60mph. She chack our speed on the GPS, and we are indeed doing 67mph. Then it hits me. I just put the new rims/tires on the car, and the rear tires are larger than the old ones, so its throwing off the speedometer readings. No wonder we made such good time in the morning getting to Carlisle I wonder what I actually was averaging on that 70mph stretch of road? Better I don’t try and figure it out as I will only be used against me in a court of law (But Officer, it’s not my fault, it’s the tiers fault…I’m innocent!)

Stopped at the Golden Coral for dinner. We had never eaten there before, and my son got to pick where we stopped. We were all presently surprised, and my $12 steak was pretty decent.

So that’s my day at Carlisle. Photos to follow…..when I have a chance.

Z-man

Doug -

You should have texted or called me. I didn't see your car, so I didn't know you were there.

We only went up on Saturday, but the whole family was there.

The day went something like this….

edited for space.....

So that’s my day at Carlisle. Photos to follow…..when I have a chance.

Z-man

Michael (mywickedshelby) rode with me.... we also only went for Saturday... decided Friday night to leave around 6-6:30. Michael got stuck in an accident traffic and we didn't leave my place until 7. got to the fairgounds, parked and it started rain so we walked down to the tent and waited for it to slow up. Ventured out to use the facilities and grab a breakfast sammich. went back and dried the car off then did the swap meet until lunch. We were back and forth all day but never saw any of you guys. We were talking to Sam during the contests and he told us he saw you but I couldn't see ya. we left soon afterwords. We stopped at an Applebees on the way home and got to watch the horse race, so that was a bonus..... again sorry we missed you!