TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Buying A Shelby!!

drshotty

Hey guys! Im selling my 2010 v6 mustang this week for a 2010 shelby gt500. Lol i know its a big jump. Ive been looking and pretty much found the one i wanted. Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the year or if i should go with the 2009 gt500.. dunno why i would.. but anyones opinion is welcome. Im 20 which is crazy to think i can own a trophy car at that age but i am very blessed and appreciate calls help. Also was wanting to know what upgrades are usually encouraged? I was thinking an upper pully. overdrive. cai. kooks longtube headers. and a throttle body.

Well i already have a corvette. and me only being 20, adding a shelby onto the insurance plan bumped up my premium close to 5k a year. so i think the 2010 should be sufficient. has a better interior as well. with the nice little cue ball of course.

Welcome to Shelby family! I got my first GT500 when I was 20 so I think you'll be fine with corvette experience. Everyone thought the car would have too much power, but my 2010 was tame compared to some of the sport bikes I've owned.

I personally like the refined body style and interior of the 2010+ models but they're all beautiful cars. I think the 2010 has a great motor and it's the last year Ford used the iron block V8 on the Shelby. Lots of people/owners prefer the 2011/2012 aluminum blocks, but I'm concerned about the longevity of block. According to my research Fords plasma transfer wire arc (PTWA) was introduced on the 2008 Nissan GTR and since has only been used on the GTR and 2011+ GT500. I personally plan on keeping my Shelby forever so the introduction of this new technology was the deal breaker for me when deciding between a 2010 and a 2011.

I make car payments and my dad pays the insurance premium which is 8k a year for me lol and I'm only paying for the car in order to learn the value of the dollar, because with a wealthy family. It often makes douche bags who are greedy and rude. I am none of which and am grateful for everything i have. Im going this weekend to look.

Also, Ebay? Seems like the sketchiest place to buy a car period.

Dude, take some of that cash that your "wealthy family" has and enroll yourself in an English course. It actually hurts to read a post like yours.

Uncalled for ! And for what reason ! Especially without knowing anything about this person, his ethnic background, potential disabilities or not real good typing from his IPhone, just like me ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

LOL!

Do you really think that a "disabled" person is going to be driving a 600+ HP muscle car with a manual gearbox? Seriously?

Wow, Your not exactly a member of the IQ squad here are you? Amazing, think before you create another idiotic post like that and embarrass yourself!

Some posts don't merit a response ! Edited by cmcmotorworks

Good grief fellas......... this is just a car site and a thread from a young guy who asked a simple question....

:drop:

The OP asked for opinions, right?

Well, as has been stated, buy whatever tickles your fancy young man. I am quite confident that's what Carroll would have told you! :salute:

Welcome aboard Team Shelby. The above interaction is NOT indicative of what goes on here...... This site is full of great info on Shelby cars. Search around and you'll see. :salute:

OK. You win. You've turned me into a cowering emotional wreck ! I may not be posting on Team Shelby anymore !

You'll be OK, just keep focused on the original topic.

OP, I'd go with the newest car you can because they kept improving. Unless you really like certain years. Some favor the '07-'09's. Some '10-up. Take both cars on a test drive and see which one you like best. :thumbsup:

You'll be OK, just keep focused on the original topic.

OP, I'd go with the newest car you can because they kept improving. Unless you really like certain years. Some favor the '07-'09's. Some '10-up. Take both cars on a test drive and see which one you like best. :thumbsup:

:yup:

• 2 weeks later...

I think the '11-'12 would be better options, especially for the factory improvements (lighter aluminum block, electric steering, improved cooling and suspension, Ford remedied the wheel hop,etc) but a '10 would be a nice acquisition.

I think the '11-'12 would be better options, especially for the factory improvements (lighter aluminum block, electric steering, improved cooling and suspension, Ford remedied the wheel hop,etc) but a '10 would be a nice acquisition.

Suspension changed only on SVTPP. In my opinion the glass roof and EPAS are the only things I would like from the 11-12. All years could use the Shelby extreme heat exchanger. I'm +1 for the iron block.

Edited by kawwy600

Suspension changed only on SVTPP. In my opinion the glass roof and EPAS are the only things I would like from the 11-12. All years could use the Shelby extreme heat exchanger. I'm +1 for the iron block.

Everyone has their preference about what year they would chose, but the fact remains the '11 and up GT500's are lighter thanks to the aluminum block, and because of that weight loss the all around performance (braking, handling and acceleration) has increased across the board, that's fact. The durability of the aluminum block versus the iron block has yet to be determined, so the jury is still out on that. The GT500 did get better every year and IMHO the '11 and up benefited the most from the improvements that Ford made on the GT500 and I believe the general consensus on the '13-'14 is that it is the pinnacle of the S197 platform.

Sorry guys! I'm still here just have school and work and don't get to come on here as much as id like. The car I was selling is a 2010 v6 mustang and it is being bought tomorrow! I will be using that as a down payment and I am getting a 2010 shelby that is white with grabber blue stripes. I talked the dealer down to a 34k price with only 25k miles. which i thought was a pretty good deal? I will keep y'all updated on the buy!! and no the guy up there did not offend me. no worries.

Sorry guys! I'm still here just have school and work and don't get to come on here as much as id like. The car I was selling is a 2010 v6 mustang and it is being bought tomorrow! I will be using that as a down payment and I am getting a 2010 shelby that is white with grabber blue stripes. I talked the dealer down to a 34k price with only 25k miles. which i thought was a pretty good deal? I will keep y'all updated on the buy!! and no the guy up there did not offend me. no worries.

Good Luck make sure its what ya want .

Good... It does sound like a decent deal.

And it's the fastest color combo!! :rockon: