TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Spare Tire

Jeffs08ShelbyGT

Slightly off topic but a heads up. I sent my car in to get tinted windows and no where else withing a 3 month period...finally looked in the trunk and those guys stole my pump!! those cost around 200-300 dollars. Now i check everytime i take it in for service. If someone is aware of the price value they will steal it! I think only the SGT/GT500/and maybe the bullitt have these.

Over the years, there has been a lot of discussion about spare tires, jacks and so on. I believe a summary of general advice includes carrying a short (6-9") section of 2X4 in the trunk area, and when you have a flat, drive over that to raise the car up, and clear for a jack.

I also recall that when the 1st. Gen hit the street, we're were told that the correct 18" spare would not fit into the spare tire well. It has since been proven otherwise, a brief search may be helpful locating more advice and guidance. IMHO, it was a cost saving move, the air pack with sealant is much cheaper in volume to the OEM, than a spare with matching wheel. There are hundreds of wheel options, but one air pack to share among all.

I also recall that when the 1st. Gen. (300A) 2003 Mercury Marauder hit the street, it came with a full size spare and and matching wheel, though that wheel was satin finish and not polished. 2nd. Gen. (300B) and 2004 cars got an 18" donut spare. That spare may be useful to us too, all the specs, including those of our 8.8" live axle with 3:55 gears and Traction-Loc diff. are the same. Same brakes all around. Not as pricey as the polished wheel, satin spares became popular as winter wheels. Though thought of as a Marauder specific wheel, it has been an option for the S197 frame cars since 2005, and was option for new car purchase, or later through the FRPP catalogue. Technically, it would not be out of place on a Mustang, just rare.

I am not sure if the donut spare I speak of will fit the GT500 with OEM Brembos, you will have to look into that. For sure, those of y'all with big brake kits, go fish.

Over the years, there has been a lot of discussion about spare tires, jacks and so on. I believe a summary of general advice includes carrying a short (6-9") section of 2X4 in the trunk area, and when you have a flat, drive over that to raise the car up, and clear for a jack.

That's exactly what I use but I keep 4 pieces with me.

My "low-profile" floor jack will barely fit under the stock height jacking points. I haven't had the jack out of the trunk to try it (my new car came with polished eighteen-inch wheels and, they say, a temporary spare)(I haven't looked to see if it is there). I did form the habit of carrying one or more sections of four-by-six, tapered at one end for surmountability. I learned that if you jack up the car from the front jacking point, high enough, the rear wheel will come off the ground as well as the front. I don't know if the trunk jack will do that high a lift. If it does, both wheels can be swapped, if you are worried about using different-diameter wheels on the limited-slip, or you need to cover a big brake.

l plan on using a spare from a 2006 GT? I have been told that it will work,while only temporary and is close to the diameter of the stock wheel and tire.I have had one offered to me for 85.00.Already have a low profile jack and 2x8x20 ramps cut.Just bought our SGT and want to put some miles on it this summer.Not comfortable driving without a spare plus the slime has expired.Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

My "low-profile" floor jack will barely fit under the stock height jacking points. I haven't had the jack out of the trunk to try it (my new car came with polished eighteen-inch wheels and, they say, a temporary spare)(I haven't looked to see if it is there). I did form the habit of carrying one or more sections of four-by-six, tapered at one end for surmountability. I learned that if you jack up the car from the front jacking point, high enough, the rear wheel will come off the ground as well as the front. I don't know if the trunk jack will do that high a lift. If it does, both wheels can be swapped, if you are worried about using different-diameter wheels on the limited-slip, or you need to cover a big brake.

Frank,

Do you recall the spare on your 2013 5.0 (and perhaps the same with your current car if it has the Brembo option)?

It was supposed to be an 18in diameter wheel with a 26in diameter tire that was issued by Ford to fit with the brakes.

Plenty of those on eBay for about $200. Of course, it doesn't solve the diameter difference from the stock tires (27in),

but that can be addressed with either the swap you describe above or when getting new tires as I have. No spare that

I know of for the S197 got close to the 27in diameter.

-Tom

so slight correction to my previous post - the wheel diameter might be a problem, but not if the tire size compensates for it. basically, the overall circumference needs to be the same for both rear tires or the limited slip differential is going to throw a tantrum. the workaround would be to mount the spare on the front and use the front tire on the back if that is where the flat is.

l plan on using a spare from a 2006 GT? I have been told that it will work,while only temporary and is close to the diameter of the stock wheel and tire.I have had one offered to me for 85.00.Already have a low profile jack and 2x8x20 ramps cut.Just bought our SGT and want to put some miles on it this summer.Not comfortable driving without a spare plus the slime has expired.Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Buy you a can or two of slime at your parts house and that will work for a puncture . If your tire is ruined then of course you would need a spare tire . I never understood the reason for the inflator in the first place as a couple of cans of slime or other brands should work just as well.

Frank,

Do you recall the spare on your 2013 5.0 (and perhaps the same with your current car if it has the Brembo option)?

It was supposed to be an 18in diameter wheel with a 26in diameter tire that was issued by Ford to fit with the brakes.

Plenty of those on eBay for about $200. Of course, it doesn't solve the diameter difference from the stock tires (27in),

but that can be addressed with either the swap you describe above or when getting new tires as I have. No spare that

I know of for the S197 got close to the 27in diameter.

-Tom

Tom,

The 2013 Brembo had the inflator-slime kit in the spare well. The 2014 is non-Brembo, and has the temporary spare ( I really must get out there tomorrow to see if it actually is there ). The originals are in our storage shed, and while I'm looking for the temp spare I should try one of them—235-50-18—for fit in the spare space. Should be OK there, and while it is a bit taller at 27.2 than the tires I'm using now (26.7), it's just a half-inch difference (shudder).

Some of this discussion is an issue for staggered size tires only, and placing a front tire on the rear is acceptable, if your full size spare matches your front tire size. If you buy a donut spare, it could work either front or rear, but with stock brakes only. Either way, you're just a shade off correct diameters.

Posi, limited slip, traction-Lok, whatever, isn't that fussy. Nothing will happen unless you get into the power. ABS and traction control count revolutions, but have an error (tolerance) margin of 1.0". Slight variations for a brief period will be acceptable, no permanent damage. Codes (if you get one) can be cleared, tire shop should have the tool. Hell, YOU should have a tool, most tuners clear codes. Donuts are limited to 50mph, 50 miles duration last time I read a sidewall. Whichever solution you pick, just get it fixed ASAP, and there will be no additional problems.

BTW...I installed jacking rails on both of my SGTs, and life never got so easy. Anywhere between the front and rear tires, I can slip a slim light duty (1500lbs capacity) racing jack under the car and lift both front and rear tires off the ground at one time. All I need to do is position the 2X4 sections of wood I mentioned ^ there, and inch the car forward. Once on the wood (even the flat tire) I can slip the jack under the side ground effect trim, and lift from there. Works great in shops when I'm trying to get on the lift. Place the wood sections in front of either both front, or both rear, inch forward, slip the floor jack in the center, lift, and swing the lift arms underneath. Works like a charm. Jacking rails are about 100 bucks a pair, but need to be welded (light work) in place. You can get them at http://www.kennybrown.com/ (watch the install video on "Lucy") or a supplier of your choice.

Y'all be safe.

Edited by LuLu

Forgot all about this when I last posted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bull-12-Volt-Automatic-One-Ton-Electric-Car-Jack-EJ212-/151323856490

Years ago, maybe 10, I found this jack at Pep Boys and it was a Godsend for me. I was recovering from a serious injury and it was not possible for me to change a flat. Truth be know, I couldn't/shouldn't have tried it at all, but y'all know that male-ego thingy would never allow me to think like that, let alone admit it. All I could hope to do, was call AAA. Cell phones still had dials on them back then

LOL...just kidding. Anyway, I was driving a Marauder at the time, lowered at all four corners with just 2" ground clearance at the A pillar, and it fit under the car. Not exactly at the A pillar, but close enough to get the job done. The ebay ad says "5-10" lift, they may be a bit conservative on those numbers for business purposes. But as I mentioned before, your best friend here, is a section of 2X4 under the tire for additional lift. I used it a lot when space was tight, and I am glad it's in the trunk today. Also used it in the house when it was necessary to move a loaded top-loading freezer and a loaded stereo system cabinet away from walls for painting.

The link I posted is just for the jack, and a hard shell case. Works off the cigarette lighter, and works fast. No heavy amp draw, the cords are adequate, well insulated too. You will not have room in the tire well for the case, but pack the jack in with a few shop towels and it will lay quiet. My cost 10 years ago was 59.95. When you go to eBay, mouse around. The prices today are much higher, but there is more offered in the case now too. The jack alone is worth the price, IMHO, if you can find it stand alone and inexpensive enough.

Wish I had one of my GTs handy to do a test fit for y'all, but the snowman has been dumping quite a bit around here lately.

If I thought there would be disappointment in giving this some consideration, y'all wouldn't be reading this.

Carry on gents, be safe.

Edited by LuLu

Forgot all about this when I last posted.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bull-12-Volt-Automatic-One-Ton-Electric-Car-Jack-EJ212-/151323856490

Years ago, maybe 10, I found this jack at Pep Boys and it was a Godsend for me. I was recovering from a serious injury and it was not possible for me to change a flat. Truth be know, I couldn't/shouldn't have tried it at all, but y'all know that male-ego thingy would never allow me to think like that, let alone admit it. All I could hope to do, was call AAA. Cell phones still had dials on them back then

LOL...just kidding. Anyway, I was driving a Marauder at the time, lowered at all four corners with just 2" ground clearance at the A pillar, and it fit under the car. Not exactly at the A pillar, but close enough to get the job done. The ebay ad says "5-10" lift, they may be a bit conservative on those numbers for business purposes. But as I mentioned before, your best friend here, is a section of 2X4 under the tire for additional lift. I used it a lot when space was tight, and I am glad it's in the trunk today. Also used it in the house when it was necessary to move a loaded top-loading freezer and a loaded stereo system cabinet away from walls for painting.

The link I posted is just for the jack, and a hard shell case. Works off the cigarette lighter, and works fast. No heavy amp draw, the cords are adequate, well insulated too. You will not have room in the tire well for the case, but pack the jack in with a few shop towels and it will lay quiet. My cost 10 years ago was 59.95. When you go to eBay, mouse around. The prices today are much higher, but there is more offered in the case now too. The jack alone is worth the price, IMHO, if you can find it stand alone and inexpensive enough.

Wish I had one of my GTs handy to do a test fit for y'all, but the snowman has been dumping quite a bit around here lately.

If I thought there would be disappointment in giving this some consideration, y'all wouldn't be reading this.

Carry on gents, be safe.

Thanks LuLu.....that is a great idea, I've never seen an electric jack like that one. It will be great to use in the shop as well as on the road.....just ordered one from your Ebay link.....thanks again !!!