TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Are 07-08 Sgts 1St Gen?

Are 2007-2008 Shelby GTs the 1st generation?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are 2007-2008 Shelby GTs the 1st generation?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Don't care

I am posting here what I have learned since I became a member of the Shelby community. I do not know how true all of this is today. I would like to correct my understanding and learn more, maybe learn stuff I can brag about, but I do not wish to start any arguments. By no means.

Most of the automobiles offered to us today are 2nd (maybe 3rd) generations of the original Shelby name tags. In the mid and late 1960s, the Shelby GT500 and 350, as well as the Shelby-Hertz are represented there. I do not see a Shelby GT name tag in that collection. Are 07-08 SGTs the 1st generation?

I have looked at many resources available from a simple google of any set of words. None of them seem complete, and some disagree. I don't know what to think. Case in point;

I have read that the GT350 name tag did not originate from any specific feature of that Shelby build, such as HP, or CID. Rather, it originated from how many steps Shelby took from his office to his shop. I do not know where the GT500 designation originated. Was that possibly 500 steps to the can?

Anyone care to help me out?

Edited by LuLu

I am posting here what I have learned since I became a member of the Shelby community. I do not know how true all of this is today. I would like to correct my understanding and learn more, maybe learn stuff I can brag about, but I do not wish to start any arguments. By no means.

Most of the automobiles offered to us today are 2nd (maybe 3rd) generations of the original Shelby name tags. In the mid and late 1960s, the Shelby GT500 and 350, as well as the Shelby-Hertz are represented there. I do not see a Shelby GT name tag in that collection. Are 07-08 SGTs the 1st generation?

I have looked at many resources available from a simple google of any set of words. None of them seem complete, and some disagree. I don't know what to think. Case in point;

I have read that the GT350 name tag did not originate from any specific feature of that Shelby build, such as HP, or CID. Rather, it originated from how many steps Shelby took from his office to his shop. I do not know where the GT500 designation originated. Was that possibly 500 steps to the can?

That's close but in actuality it was the distance between two shops. The 500 nameplate came a number larger than 350! it's all documented here somewhere in the forums. Sorry but I'm at work and can't spend time looking at this time.

A far as your question regarding the Shelby GT name... yes the first time the name was used was in 2007, it was a continuation series of the Shelby GT-H. Again it's documented in several threads.

The current 07-present Shelby's are 2nd generation even though certain people like some of the stubborn ones at SAAC ONLY think the 65-66 are true Shelby's

that's pretty obnoxious of SAAC.

Take er easy there cowboys. There are a few SAAC members who spend allot of time here on Team Shelby and we happen to love both generations of Shelby's. Some of us even happen to have cars from each generation, that's how much we love our Shelby's. No matter what year they were built.

QSS

Take er easy there cowboys. There are a few SAAC members who spend allot of time here on Team Shelby and we happen to love both generations of Shelby's. Some of us even happen to have cars from each generation, that's how much we love our Shelby's. No matter what year they were built.

QSS

As it should be. It should also be obvious that I'm referring to those SAAC folks who DON'T acknowledge the second generation vehicles as was stated by "39Mustang" above.

I stole this from another thread but it may help LuLu with the original questions.... lots of info in these threads.

interesting read, but not as useful as a chronicle of which ford/shelby collaboration came first. some dates listed pertain to invitations, others to involvement, others to debuts.

fact is, if you are measuring by auto show debuts, the 2007 Shelby GT500 debuted at the NY auto show in the Spring of 2005 -- a year earlier than the GT-H. also, the GT-H development cycle was way shorter than the GT500, which would have begun much earlier.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-shelby-cobra-gt500-auto-shows

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/23/automobiles/autospecial/23nug.shelby.html?_r=0

Edited by 2007red40thGT500

interesting read, but not as useful as a chronicle of which ford/shelby collaboration came first. some dates listed pertain to invitations, others to involvement, others to debuts.

fact is, if you are measuring by auto show debuts, the 2007 Shelby GT500 debuted at the NY auto show in the Spring of 2005 -- a year earlier than the GT-H. also, the GT-H development cycle was way shorter than the GT500, which would have begun much earlier.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ford-shelby-cobra-gt500-auto-shows

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/23/automobiles/autospecial/23nug.shelby.html?_r=0

Cool story but last time I checked this thread was about the Shelby GT lineage .... not the GT500's .. also last time I checked the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT were hand modified at Shelby and not built in Flat Rock by SVT but I will modify my statement

"The 2006 Shelby GT-H was the first Ford/Shelby built at SA in 40 years and served as a rebirth for the current Shelby brand and the Shelby GT was a continuation of the lineage"

For further clarification see this thread

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/87377-shelby-gt-h-gets-recognized-in-20142015-shelby-annual/?hl=%2Bshelby+%2Bannual

Every Shelby is a tribute to Carroll and the passion he and the owners have for their cars, one is not better then the other, and they all have their place in Shelby history.

Cool story but last time I checked this thread was about the Shelby GT lineage .... not the GT500's .. also last time I checked the Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT were hand modified at Shelby and not built in Flat Rock by SVT but I will modify my statement

"The 2006 Shelby GT-H was the first Ford/Shelby built at SA in 40 years and served as a rebirth for the current Shelby brand and the Shelby GT was a continuation of the lineage"

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/87377-shelby-gt-h-gets-recognized-in-20142015-shelby-annual/?hl=%2Bshelby+%2Bannual

Every Shelby is a tribute to Carroll and the passion he and the owners have for their cars, one is not better then the other, and they all have their place in Shelby history.

Bravo!

Thank you.

Guess I knew out front that this thread would go sideways, but I wasn't sure.

I wasn't sure about the SGT history either.

I am sure about both now.

I'll leave the poll up, see where it goes, but my question has been answered.

Thanks y'all, be safe.

PS: Carroll Shelby. I cannot think of another who has done so much for the sport, and the enthusiast. I knew him casually, but no matter who you were, you were the most important person when talking with him. Some show, lots of go, he is missed.

i don't think the post is going "sideways" when it's a matter of accuracy and clarification. in any event, this statement above is again, incorrect. please read the Shelby Annual statement a little closer...

Without the GT-H, there would be no GT 500 Super Snakes, KR's, or Shelby 1000

What that means is that there would be no pre-title or post-title Shelby American-modified Mustangs if the GT-H hadn't been a success. However, it is STILL NOT accurate to conclude that it was the first Ford/Shelby collaboration in 40 years or the only car to herald in the rebirth of the Shelby brand. That's simply NOT true anyway you slice it.

i don't think the post is going "sideways" when it's a matter of accuracy and clarification. in any event, this statement above is again, incorrect. please read the Shelby Annual statement a little closer...

Without the GT-H, there would be no GT 500 Super Snakes, KR's, or Shelby 1000

What that means is that there would be no pre-title or post-title Shelby American-modified Mustangs if the GT-H hadn't been a success. However, it is STILL NOT accurate to conclude that it was the first Ford/Shelby collaboration in 40 years or the only car to herald in the rebirth of the Shelby brand. That's simply NOT true anyway you slice it.

The word "only" never appeared in any of my posts on this topic ... and if you would read my post again you will see I modified it to be more accurate but good work on keeping this topic within the confines that it is meant and for supporting these boards and keeping them a place of sharing our combined passion for the Shelby brand that we all love.

Edited by Larry T

I think you are simply asking this - were the 2007-2008 the first Shelby models that were given the name "Shelby GT"? I believe the answer is yes.

Since this topic did go slightly sideways, and as usual some people got their feelings hurt about the lineage of their cars. Truth is that colaborations between automakers ebb and flow throughout their lifespan.

The GT500 was a colaboration between the man and Ford's SVT arm. SAI did the same thing that Carroll did in the 60s by taking cars directly from Ford and modifying.

I believe this is where the differences in opinion of "which colaborations came first" starts.

Ford colaborated with Carroll for the GT40, but SAI also took Ford to court to protect the GT350 nameplate in the 80s....does that mean they colaborated?

BL...while Carroll was on this earth he designed, built, modified, and sold all kinds of cars.

if it says Shelby on it, you can bet it had his fingerprints on it, and you should be proud to own one.

For me, the SGT is a "continuation" of the way that Carroll did it the first time around, so it will be special to me, is it a first gen? There was never just a Shelby GT before, so I'm inclined to say yes, but I like the lines, and it's mine...so who else matters?

personally, i'd refer to any 2006+ Shelby Mustang as a "second generation" Shelby, but that's me. and while it may not be officially designated as such, the 2006-2008 Shelby GT/GT-H's are the spiritual successors to the original 1965-68 GT350s. however, the '06+ cars do not have a comparable "R" heritage. That's where the new 2016 GT350R steps in....

I've mentioned this a few times, well snuck it into posts anyways. There was once someone here that asked the question about the name Shelby GT, and its origins. Supposedly there is actually a story to it, an in-depth story that had reasoning behind calling it a Shelby GT and not a GT500 or GT350. The only problem was the people who know the truth of that said story also said they didn't want to tell anything about it at the time - a few years ago I believe? Haven't heard anything about it since.

While that doesn't sound like it means anything my point is actually this: they saved the name GT350 and GT500 for later as successors to the Shelby GT. The Shelby GT, for whatever reason, was the designated revival of the Shelby Mustang heritage. Since its the first one under the specific name Shelby GT, and there was a 2013/14 Shelby GT, and now a 2015 Shelby GT, I think it stands to reason that the Shelby GT has a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation now.

As I stated earlier here, I have my answer. The 2007-08 Shelby GT is the first generation of that name tag...period.

It saddens me to add this, because I respect and support the speakers emotional attachment to his Shelby, and his desire to help answer what is now a closed matter. However "continuation" as it may be used while discussing Shelby automobiles at large, has been defined. Legally. By the feds and by Shelby/SAI. Here's the background.

Many years ago, Shelby came across a forgotten store of Cobra parts, including frames with government controlled VINs assigned. He attempted to assemble and market a second dose of Cobras at retail, however, he was stopped cold by the Feds. Seems that in the years the parts were in storage, VINs had grown to 17 digits, and the freshly built Cobras could not be sold as new automobiles licensed for use on the street. However, Mr. Shelby was quite the story teller, and by declaring these fine examples of American sports cars to be "continuations" of the original build, the automobiles could be sold and licensed for street use. Thus, this argument fails, but bonus points for the attempt have been awarded.

Now we turn to "collaboration" and this could get a tad messy. Carroll Shelby "collaborated" on/in almost everything with any sort of high performance features included in the final product. Cars we know. But there were motorcycles, boats, golf carts, golf clubs, and I believe at least one airplane. A jet, of course. Yup, everything that moved, as long as it moved quicker than the next in line. Some stuff he designed himself, or, helped others design. Some stuff he tested, approved of, and took credit for that approval. A few he simply licensed his trademark (his name) for use upon, and one or two "endorsements". All of them are "collaborations" yes, but only a select few earned his talented hands-on, and daringly creative attention in the detail.

I know little about this topic, so, at the risk of being impolite, may I ask more about how Shelby collaborated in the GT500? He was already in-house on Ford's GT40 project, so, what happened next? Did he design it? Build and test a prototype? Develop a new technology around it? Send cars out to dealers from Vegas like the GT? License his trademark to Ford? Endorse it? I do not mean to tease, I am simply asking how this particular collaboration took shape.

On another name tag related note, I believe Ford builds the GT500KR, and Shelby builds the GT500 Super Snake. Do I need to correct this?

Y'all be safe.

PS; Fox bodies are a generation. The SN95 is another generation. The S197 is yet another generation, get the picture? The GT and the GT500 are of the same generation, the S197 generation. 2007 Shelby GTs in black and white exterior paint are S197 generation. 2008 Shelby GTs in blue and orange exterior paint are NOT a new generation, but remain S197s. Y'all following this? Need additional tutoring? Raise your hand.

Edited by LuLu

On another name tag related note, I believe Ford builds the GT500KR, and Shelby builds the GT500 Super Snake. Do I need to correct this?

The GT500KR's were done in Las Vegas at SAI. Base GT500's were shipped to Las Vegas where they became KR's, pre-title. Super Snakes are SAI modified GT500's post title.

This is now certainly an interesting conversation now that there are guy's asking questions in the SGT section about options on cars without giving years. (see the glass roof conversation) So in that aspect, there are three generations of SGT's now, 06-08, 11-14, and now 15+. Makes me wonder if we will need a separation in that forum now for the different generation of SGT. Obviously the third generation of SGT's (15+) are a whole new animal.

All S197 Shelby GT-H / Shelby GT are first generation as they were the first to wear this moniker ... spirit and continuation have nothing to do with moniker's.

Love your Shelby the way you want ... don't listen to the BS about anything not being a "real" Shelby because remember to Carroll Shelby his favorite Shelby was always the next one.

Moniker.

You are destroying everything. Hour upon hour of planning, preparation, logistics, cutting orders in triplicate, dispatching messengers, whispers, memos, spontaneous and at times covert meetings, confrence calls, bribery, hush money, payolla, drugs, sex reassignment surgery, parking violations, avoiding public transportation and attention, investigative reporters sniffing about, wasizzname Rivera, Brian Williams, Zack, headline news, The Enquirer, The O'Reilly Factor, SNOWwhat? Excuse me...No, I took them, honey, honest....On schedule, yes...YES!...yes...All of them, yes...Now?

Sweetie, I'm working here c'mon...ummmokay, just give me a sec...

Moniker.

Anarchist.

Edited by LuLu

• 7 months later...

* headache ?. drive what you love, love what you drive. I prefer the SGT as "real" others prefer the 500 as factory if I had the money for a KR which is probably superior and both "real" and SVT I would still have a SGT as a matter of personal taste. A lot of different great cars for a lot of different tastes. A steed for every need. No preference is right nor wrong . ?