TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Moving Swiftly Toward The Purchase Of A 2007 Gt500

sequel01

Hi I am new to the forums and seeking any and all input as well as guidance in terms of what to check and look for when purchasing a 2007 GT500. I have read in great detail the issues with the clutch assembly, flywheel and input shaft on the 2007-2009 models which has caused hesitation in my moving forward with the purchase. Can you tell me if these clutch issues exist across all GT500's manufactured in 2007? Does the problem occur only if a certain set of conditions are met (ex. excessive clutch usage in stop and go traffic, spirited driving, harsh drag racing, driving in a hot climate)? Are there forum members out there with 2007 GT500's that have over 50K miles that still have the orginal clutch assembly from the factory? I have driven the car and the shifting feels solid and I did not detect any unusal noices. The car has less than 15K miles. The car also pulled from the low rpm range while in 6th gear with no problem. Please share any additional items to review closely (mechanical, electrical, ac/heat, interior, body) before moving forward with a purchase of a 2007 GT500.

Many thanks for your time and expertise.

Congrats on the search!

The usual things like running a Car Fax is a good place to start. I would also recommend finding out what dealer has done the service and get a service report from that dealer. I was under the impression all Ford dealers are connected for service and that is not the case.

Look at the crank damper to see if it has been replaced. I found it easiest to use my smart phone video camera to look at it. way to difficult to click the shutter button for each photo. If the damper has been replaced with a 08' version it will look like a wishbone in the center. Getting this changed is a must, especially if it has been modded.

It would be a good idea to contact Steve to have him check the registry for its history.

Just some thoughts. Keep us posted on your search.

Hi I am new to the forums and seeking any and all input as well as guidance in terms of what to check and look for when purchasing a 2007 GT500. I have read in great detail the issues with the clutch assembly, flywheel and input shaft on the 2007-2009 models which has caused hesitation in my moving forward with the purchase. Can you tell me if these clutch issues exist across all GT500's manufactured in 2007? Does the problem occur only if a certain set of conditions are met (ex. excessive clutch usage in stop and go traffic, spirited driving, harsh drag racing, driving in a hot climate)? Are there forum members out there with 2007 GT500's that have over 50K miles that still have the orginal clutch assembly from the factory? I have driven the car and the shifting feels solid and I did not detect any unusal noices. The car has less than 15K miles. The car also pulled from the low rpm range while in 6th gear with no problem. Please share any additional items to review closely (mechanical, electrical, ac/heat, interior, body) before moving forward with a purchase of a 2007 GT500.

All 07 & most 08 `s have the clutch problem the spline to the out put shaft was a tight fit causing the clutch to hang & not totally engage which also caused syncro transmission problems with some cars . Check the maintenance record maybe the car your looking at has the new clutch.

I bought my 2007 GT500 used as well. I bought mine with 6k miles and she ran just fine; pulls, casual driving, long distance, everything. At about the 17k mile mark, I started getting some chirping into 2nd sometimes and then started slipping at the end of a pull. Took it in and, yep, clutch. It also messed my synchro's up as well. I had purchased extended warranty when I bought the car, and my dealer did all the work under warranty. One of the TSBs says the clutch was designed more for track than urban driving. So, the more urban driving (stop and go) you do, probably the faster it will go.

From what I've seen on this forum, the majority of folks with the 2007-2009 GT500 have had to replace the clutch eventually, usually around the 20k mile mark. Good luck with your car! You will love it and welcome to the Shelby team.

Many thanks for the welcome and all of the insight and informaiton you have provided so far. You have been a tremendous help. Based on what you have shared it sounds like I will have to plan on a $1500 to $2500 expense within 1 or 2 years of owning the car. The CarFax does not show any significant repairs performed other than routine service. Knowing that the car is well out of warranty based on age vs mileage and that this repair is inevitable can you help me with the following questions.

Can you provide the specific clutch and transmission repairs that will need to be performed?

Can you share an estimated cost to have this work done?

I have previously had a very poor experience with a Ford dealership performing a transimission repair/replace on a 2001 GT so I would like to ask if anyone could provide a recommendation of a repair facility or person in Georgia (Atlanta area) or the surrounding states (FL, AL, TN, SC, NC) that you would without hesitation recommend to perform the work. I am definitely willing to go to where I can obtain quality work and respect/care for the vehicle while it is in possession of the repair facility.

There was also the mention of the balancer repair/replacement that should be performed.

Can you provide the specific balancer repair/replacment that will need to be performed?

Can you share an estimated cost to have this work done?

Are there other repair and maintenance items (other than routine items oil, tires, brakes) that you can share related to the 2007 GT500?

I know this will be a loaded question (and realizing you do not buy this car for gas milleage) but on average type of gas mileage are you receiving when driven under normal conditions :-) ?

I plan to drive the car one more time so please let me know if there is anything else to check, listen for, or exercise during another test drive. I do plan to look closely at the oil, brake fluid, coolant etc... If a GT500 has been really mistreated are there any tale tale signs?

Someone also mentioned contacting "Steve" for more assistance. Please just let me know the appropriate channel or contact information and I will definitely reach out to him.

Thank you again for all of your time, expertise, and assistance in helping me in navigating this process.

Steve is on the forum & looks after the Team Shelby register & if your car happen to registered he will have al the info on it.

As for the clutch & syncro repairs the cost is around $6 K that was from Ford when I had mine done under warranty.

If you check back in this forum there is a whole section on repairs the that took place.

When Team Shelby had its first convention in `07 ( sorry it was Stangs Unleashed at that time) I met up with one of the engineers & he explained what the problem was with the clutch .

Looking at my clutch & flywheel when they changed it. it didn`t look at all that bad , the disc had little wear but something had gone through it causing grooves on the disc & flywheel . I have seen several 07 & 08 clutches that have been changed as a lot of TS members brought them to the dealer I use as the mechanic was great & was a Shelby guy & was very good at what he did. I have several pictures of clutch change & Syncro repairs .

Hope everything works out for you & enjoy your ride.

The damper/balancer you can pick up from many places that sell Ford parts including Ford, here are a few of them that indicate what price range you should be in:

http://vmptuning.com/pulley-products/m6312svt/

http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=310

If you are going to get a dealership to install the damper, it would be easier to get them to supply it as long as they do not mark it up too much.

The install is not hard for an experienced diy mechanic, but might be tough for someone who typically only does minor stuff like brakes, plugs and oil changes.

You need a balancer puller, balancer installer, long breaker bar, torque wrench etc and also have to remove some other items just to be able to get at the balancer.

You also need a new damper/balancer bolt if you follow Ford's recommendation, and it requires a multi step installation process as well as some good sealant & thread locker.

If you determine that you might have a syncro or damaged gear issue, then the transmission will need to be overhauled and a good dealer can do that.

On my TSB warranty repair they replaced 2nd gear, all the syncros, relevant seals and changed the fluid to Dexron III as per Tremec's recommendation.

With all the transmission and clutch work that my car required, the dealership estimated it would have been about $4K bill.

A fluid upgrade to like Royal Purple Syncromax is a good idea anyways, it makes a noticable difference in ease of shifting, especially when the transmission is cool.

As others have already stated, search for threads on these subjects and there is a lot of good info that can help you out.

If the car works and drives well then hopefully you may be good for awhile, but it would not hurt to address or at least plan for addressing the known issues.

If you step up the power or drive the car harder than a normal daily driver type, then the upgrades will probably come sooner than later.