TEAM SHELBY FORUM

BUILD RANKING 1ST TO PRESENT

Sorry about a second post so close to my last one but I am up late tonight and I have one more question.

How can a GT500 owner tell the build order of their car? Do the last 6 digits of the VIN# (whcih are sequential vech#'s) give you this information? Is there a list of the VIN#'s in order for the first 100 GT500's somewhere on the web?

Does not really matter because I never intend to sell this car...of course I never intended to sell my 2005 Premium Black GT either but it is being considered by several close friends and coworkers now that I know just how much better the GT500 is than a normal 05-GT. (although I really like the look of the two of them together in the driveway!) I did not expect the differences, in all areas of performance and comfort, to be as large as they are!!! What a fun car to drive. The only advantage the GT has is 22.5 mpg average vrs 19.5mpg for the GT500 on my 100 mile per day commute. But maybe that will improve with a Diablo Sport Predator for the GT500.

On a side note: Tonight my 18 year old saw the GT500 for the first time. I asked him which car he liked better, from a looks standpoint...the GT500 or the new Vette. He paused after looking at our neighbors new Vette (same neighbor also has a 6 cyl 05 Mustang for his wife) and then he said that "the Vette looks very sleek but the GT500 looks Mean!" He said he liked Mean better!!! I do too!

Of course he is only allowed to drive the family Van!!!

Thanks again everyone,

MSBMustang "Mark"

Mark there is no way to tell unless you had one of the first 100 since the vin's are assigned randomly, however once the build out for 07 is over, rumor has it you may get a certification with build number like the previous svt cobras.

Hi mach1fever,

Red GT looks great! Still have my black GT for now but it is being shopped around to all my friends. There is no room in the driveway for two Mustangs. I offered it to my wife but she refuses to drive a stick again. You will really enjoy the GT500 over the regular GT. Much bigger difference in all areas than I expected!!! I even find the ride more comfortable! I did not expect that!!!

So how can you tell if it was one of the first 100? The date on the sticker on the drivers side door post says 03/06.

Thanks,

Mark

Hi mach1fever,

Red GT looks great! Still have my black GT for now but it is being shopped around to all my friends. There is no room in the driveway for two Mustangs. I offered it to my wife but she refuses to drive a stick again. You will really enjoy the GT500 over the regular GT. Much bigger difference in all areas than I expected!!! I even find the ride more comfortable! I did not expect that!!!

So how can you tell if it was one of the first 100? The date on the sticker on the drivers side door post says 03/06.

Thanks,

Mark

You have a GT500 with a 3/06 build date? Did you buy this new from a dealer? Job 1 date for 2007 GT500s was June 6, 2006. So, yours is a pre-production car. Call SVT and give them your build date. They built (+/-) 90 pre-production cars in a variety of configurations. Not all of these were in the sequential serial number group. As of the beginning of production, the "sequence" number of the VIN doesn't mean squat as they didn't number just the GT500s. ALL Mustangs (read: Rental cars) and Mazda 6's came off that same line....at the same time.

If you have a pre-production car, good for you. A rarity.

My car was built on the 20th day of production and I do know for a fact that there were about 600 units built up to and including that date. I have a letter from Ford stating as much.

Supposedly, they'll do a final "roll call" at the end of production (about now) and SVT is SUPPOSED to be working with SVTOA and getting real X of XXXX numbers and making certificates available. We'll see.

In the meantime, call SVT.

bj

You have a GT500 with a 3/06 build date? Did you buy this new from a dealer? Job 1 date for 2007 GT500s was June 6, 2006. So, yours is a pre-production car. Call SVT and give them your build date. They built (+/-) 90 pre-production cars in a variety of configurations. Not all of these were in the sequential serial number group. As of the beginning of production, the "sequence" number of the VIN doesn't mean squat as they didn't number just the GT500s. ALL Mustangs (read: Rental cars) and Mazda 6's came off that same line....at the same time.

If you have a pre-production car, good for you. A rarity.

My car was built on the 20th day of production and I do know for a fact that there were about 600 units built up to and including that date. I have a letter from Ford stating as much.

Supposedly, they'll do a final "roll call" at the end of production (about now) and SVT is SUPPOSED to be working with SVTOA and getting real X of XXXX numbers and making certificates available. We'll see.

In the meantime, call SVT.

bj

bj,

Thanks for the information. But now you have me a bit worried that my used GT500 might be missing something? Also where do I get the phone # for SVT? I went to the SVT web site and there is nothing there about how to contact them.

I did buy the GT500 from a Ford dealer (Port Clinton Ford) who told me he bought it at a dealer auction at Ford in Detroit. It was never titled and the CARFAX report (I paid for) says it was bought by "Corporate Fleet Lease". It came with sealed manuals and the CARFAX report on it came up clean. It runs fantastic and I am very happy with the purchase. It blows the doors off my 05 GT but it does feel a little heavier. It also does not coast as well. (I drive home everyday over highway 92 in Half Moon Bay and I coast a bit at the bottom of the hill. The GT500 does not roll as well at the my GT does. Maybe it needs new wheel bearings or it is just because of the much wider tires.)

I hope my new/used purchase has all the normal GT500 parts? A preproduction car with all the right parts would be a cool thing to have! Maybe Mr. Shelby has actually driven this car?

On a side note I saw that you added a tri-ax shifter to your GT500. I put one into my 2005 Mustang GT and had to remove it because of a driveline harmonic that the tri-ax coupled into the body of the car. Reinstalled it twice before I went back to the original sloppy shifter in my 05 GT (which is up for sale now). Even had the driveshaft balanced which made the car feel better (less vibration during acceleration) but it did not help the oscillation noise. My question is "How do you like the Tri-AX in the GT500? Did you notice any weird noises at around 80mph? I still have the Tri-ax for my GT in a drawer with the new bushing they sent me that was supposed to help with the hard shifting in 5th and reverse. Never put it back in a 3rd time to find out if the new bushing helped.

Thanks for the great information!!!

Mark

bj,

Thanks for the information. But now you have me a bit worried that my used GT500 might be missing something? Also where do I get the phone # for SVT? I went to the SVT web site and there is nothing there about how to contact them.

I did buy the GT500 from a Ford dealer (Port Clinton Ford) who told me he bought it at a dealer auction at Ford in Detroit. It was never titled and the CARFAX report (I paid for) says it was bought by "Corporate Fleet Lease". It came with sealed manuals and the CARFAX report on it came up clean. It runs fantastic and I am very happy with the purchase. It blows the doors off my 05 GT but it does feel a little heavier. It also does not coast as well. (I drive home everyday over highway 92 in Half Moon Bay and I coast a bit at the bottom of the hill. The GT500 does not roll as well at the my GT does. Maybe it needs new wheel bearings or it is just because of the much wider tires.)

I hope my new/used purchase has all the normal GT500 parts? A preproduction car with all the right parts would be a cool thing to have! Maybe Mr. Shelby has actually driven this car?

On a side note I saw that you added a tri-ax shifter to your GT500. I put one into my 2005 Mustang GT and had to remove it because of a driveline harmonic that the tri-ax coupled into the body of the car. Reinstalled it twice before I went back to the original sloppy shifter in my 05 GT (which is up for sale now). Even had the driveshaft balanced which made the car feel better (less vibration during acceleration) but it did not help the oscillation noise. My question is "How do you like the Tri-AX in the GT500? Did you notice any weird noises at around 80mph? I still have the Tri-ax for my GT in a drawer with the new bushing they sent me that was supposed to help with the hard shifting in 5th and reverse. Never put it back in a 3rd time to find out if the new bushing helped.

Thanks for the great information!!!

Mark

Mark,

First of all SVT is now Ford Performance. Call this main Ford number and ask them for the SVT folks...they still have a number, it's just no longer in print

1-800-392-3673(FORD)

Your car will have everything a post-6/6/06 car has. Did they send you the extension for the warranty? Mine came with a 3/36 and they shortly thereafter extended the powertrain to 5/60. If you didn't get the addendum and letter, call your dealer or talk to Ford.

I'm not really shot in the butt over the TriAx. Chunky and clunky. No weird stuff except around 2,300 rpms and only in 3rd. Shifter buzzes and rattles like it's gonna jump out of the console. I wouldn't do it again....particularly because you have to install this one from underneath and it's a pain.

Anyway...call SVT and tell them about your car then let us know the poop.

bj

I believe the # for SVT is 1-800-FORD-SVT. At least thats what it was about 3 months ago when I called them. I asked them about the certificates and he said to call back after 07 is complete and ask for one specifically. He didn't know if they were going to send them out automatically like in the past or not. I'm probably going to give them a call mid-late July...they should have the count by then.

Mark,

First of all SVT is now Ford Performance. Call this main Ford number and ask them for the SVT folks...they still have a number, it's just no longer in print

1-800-392-3673(FORD)

Your car will have everything a post-6/6/06 car has. Did they send you the extension for the warranty? Mine came with a 3/36 and they shortly thereafter extended the powertrain to 5/60. If you didn't get the addendum and letter, call your dealer or talk to Ford.

I'm not really shot in the butt over the TriAx. Chunky and clunky. No weird stuff except around 2,300 rpms and only in 3rd. Shifter buzzes and rattles like it's gonna jump out of the console. I wouldn't do it again....particularly because you have to install this one from underneath and it's a pain.

Anyway...call SVT and tell them about your car then let us know the poop.

bj

Hi bj & group,

Ford said they would be releasing the order by the end of July. We will have to call to get our ranking at that time. They said mine was a pre-production vehicle but could not tell me what it was used for. They checked it and said it was a fully stock vehicle with all the normal GT500 stuff! That was a relief.

I will sell my 1 week used Tri-ax on Ebay then. It was for my 05GT and since I am selling that car I no longer need it anyway. I assume Steeda made a slightly different shifter for the GT500? The shifter in the GT500 feels much better than the stock shifter does in the 05GT.

I paid $1800 plus sales tax (sales tax on services in OH?) to get a full factory Ford warranty extension to 85k miles. Since the car was never titled the dealer called Ford and was able to get that for me. I thought that was a cheap price to pay for some peace of mind especially considering the price I got the car for. I usually don't buy warranties.

The family wants to go see Pirates 3 now and my 18 year old wants me to take the new Shelby. (I have only been home 3 days since driving it back from OH and he has not ridden in it yet...and he can't drive it because of the insurance costs!) I don't want to park my almost new baby in a crowded movie theater lot with a bunch of kids! Think we will drive the black 05GT instead...or maybe the 97 Crown Vic. We are a Ford family!

Gave my 99 Taurus to my daughter to protect the new grandson and it did its job! They got broadsided and they all walked away from it!

Thanks bj for all the info,

Mark

Archived