TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fog Light Replacement

Hi Everyone,

First day on the forum and I have received a lot of great information. This is obviously a very knowledgeable and great group of GT500 lovers.

On the way home tonight from Santa Clara to Half Moon Bay (in CA) I ran into a bunch of Fog. Turned on the fog lights and it did not help much. Got home and checked the lights and sure enough the left one is out. I just bought the car used 6 days ago (50k miles from Ford) so I have not bought the repair manual yet. (Is there one out yet?) Has anyone replaced the fog lights? If so what is the procedure? Probably no one has yet because no other car has as many miles on it as this one.

Thanks everyone for the help with this,

MSBMustang "Mark"

Hi Everyone,

First day on the forum and I have received a lot of great information. This is obviously a very knowledgeable and great group of GT500 lovers.

On the way home tonight from Santa Clara to Half Moon Bay (in CA) I ran into a bunch of Fog. Turned on the fog lights and it did not help much. Got home and checked the lights and sure enough the left one is out. I just bought the car used 6 days ago (50k miles from Ford) so I have not bought the repair manual yet. (Is there one out yet?) Has anyone replaced the fog lights? If so what is the procedure? Probably no one has yet because no other car has as many miles on it as this one.

MSBMustang "Mark"

The bulb is not available from Ford or aftermarket as a part. You can order an entire replacement fog lamp assembly from Ford.

Or you can retrofit aftermarket 3.5" Hella HID fogs which look very stock but have glass lenses instead of plastic.

If you REALLY want the factory plastic one, PM me and I'll sell you one of my take offs.

The bulb is not available from Ford or aftermarket as a part. You can order an entire replacement fog lamp assembly from Ford.

Or you can retrofit aftermarket 3.5" Hella HID fogs which look very stock but have glass lenses instead of plastic.

If you REALLY want the factory plastic one, PM me and I'll sell you one of my take offs.

Hi jcthorne,

Thanks for the information. How difficult are they to replace? We get a lot of fog here in the SF bay area are the Hella HID fogs brighter? If so then that is the way to go for me.

Since today is only my second day on the forum what does PM mean? I assume it is a way to contact you directly but I don't know how to do that yet.

Thanks again,

Mark/MSBMustang

Hi Everyone,

MSBMustang "Mark"

50,000 MILES?

Not to get personal but what kind of a discount did you get on a 50K Shelby?

Alan

50,000 MILES?

Not to get personal but what kind of a discount did you get on a 50K Shelby?

Alan

Hi Alan,

42k plus sales tax (about 3.3 k in CA) plus 2k for a Ford Factory extended warranty with a $100 deductible to 85k miles.

I figured for that price and the warranty I was way ahead of the game. If anything major goes wrong it will be covered and if not then even with the extra $2k for the Factory warranty I am still ahead. I did fly out there to drive it first before the final deal but the car was everything the dealership said it was! It was Port Clinton Ford (Dan was the sales person) and they were great. Wonderful people to deal with. The owner of the dealership had a Ford GT the same color as my GT500 up on a rack in the showroom with 3 miles on it! What a beautiful machine!!!

But now I need to sell my 05 Black Mustang GT. The wife won't let me keep both and she won't drive a stick. She likes her 97 Crown Vic with 200,000 miles on it! I need to post a pic with both of them in my driveway.

Mark

Hi Alan,

42k plus sales tax (about 3.3 k in CA) plus 2k for a Ford Factory extended warranty with a $100 deductible to 85k miles.

I figured for that price and the warranty I was way ahead of the game. If anything major goes wrong it will be covered and if not then even with the extra $2k for the Factory warranty I am still ahead. I did fly out there to drive it first before the final deal but the car was everything the dealership said it was! It was Port Clinton Ford (Dan was the sales person) and they were great. Wonderful people to deal with. The owner of the dealership had a Ford GT the same color as my GT500 up on a rack in the showroom with 3 miles on it! What a beautiful machine!!!

But now I need to sell my 05 Black Mustang GT. The wife won't let me keep both and she won't drive a stick. She likes her 97 Crown Vic with 200,000 miles on it! I need to post a pic with both of them in my driveway.

Mark

Forgot to mention. The car was never titled! It was a Ford show car and test vehicle.

Hi jcthorne,

Thanks for the information. How difficult are they to replace? We get a lot of fog here in the SF bay area are the Hella HID fogs brighter? If so then that is the way to go for me.

Since today is only my second day on the forum what does PM mean? I assume it is a way to contact you directly but I don't know how to do that yet.

Thanks again,

Mark/MSBMustang

Replacing the factory fogs is very easy. Installing the Hellas was a little more work but not bad. They are much brighter:

P2032165.jpg

P2032167.jpg

PM is private mail through this web site.

Replacing the factory fogs is very easy. Installing the Hellas was a little more work but not bad. They are much brighter:

Do you have a link to the HELLA kit online?

Also, doesn't replacing the headlamp bulbs involve removing the factory bumper?

Do you have a link to the HELLA kit online?

Also, doesn't replacing the headlamp bulbs involve removing the factory bumper?

No link handy but they are the 3.5 clear lens driving lamps. They have a bracket that is adaptable for surface or under bumper mount.

No need to remove the bumper for the headlamps, the bulbs remove from the back side.

P2032165.jpg

P2032167.jpg

PM is private mail through this web site.

jcthorne,

Thanks for the answers and I really like the look of the Hellas. I am 53 so the more light in the fog the better. Where can I buy the Hellas? I also looked for a 3.5" unit but that came up empty too. I tried looking on line and even sent Hella an email but they have not responded. Do you have a part # for the Hella lamp? And does it come with the bracket you mentioned?

I will be happy and grateful if you can sell me your extra lamp to get me by for now. Also how do I send you PM without knowing your addr?

Sending this email so late because I was cleaning and waxing my black on black 05 GT to take pictures tomorrow so I can put it up for sale on EBAY and Craiqs list. Wish I could keep both Mustangs because they both are fun to drive in different ways but there is not enough room in the garage for them both. Living about 200 yards from the ocean precludes leaving a good car outside!

Thanks for all the help!!! I really appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Mark

jcthorne,

Thanks for the answers and I really like the look of the Hellas. I am 53 so the more light in the fog the better. Where can I buy the Hellas? I also looked for a 3.5" unit but that came up empty too. I tried looking on line and even sent Hella an email but they have not responded. Do you have a part # for the Hella lamp? And does it come with the bracket you mentioned?

I will be happy and grateful if you can sell me your extra lamp to get me by for now. Also how do I send you PM without knowing your addr?

Sending this email so late because I was cleaning and waxing my black on black 05 GT to take pictures tomorrow so I can put it up for sale on EBAY and Craiqs list. Wish I could keep both Mustangs because they both are fun to drive in different ways but there is not enough room in the garage for them both. Living about 200 yards from the ocean precludes leaving a good car outside!

Thanks for all the help!!! I really appreciate it!

Best Regards,

Mark

Here is a link to the lights I used for a price far better than I paid:

http://www.autobarn.net/helopperdriv1.html

These are the Hella Optilux 1300 they are actually 3.4" in dia. The bracket shown in the photo pivots to the rear and mounts to the stock location with some fender clips and bolts. I replaced the H3 lamps with HID capsules.

To send me a PM, click on my name to the left of this (or any of my) posts.

Hi Everyone,

MSBMustang "Mark"

Welcome to the site Mark, you brought up a great subject because a groundhog took out my passenger driving lamp!! It was right after I bought it in Oct. 06 and Ford wanted $125.00 for 1 replacement and it's just plastic, in the parts dept.!!

Here is a link to the lights I used for a price far better than I paid:

http://www.autobarn.net/helopperdriv1.html

These are the Hella Optilux 1300 they are actually 3.4" in dia. The bracket shown in the photo pivots to the rear and mounts to the stock location with some fender clips and bolts. I replaced the H3 lamps with HID capsules.

To send me a PM, click on my name to the left of this (or any of my) posts.

I appreciate the info, I was waiting for a good price on the replacement for the driving lamps because the Ford dealer near me wanted an arm and leg for just 1 OEM! Just buy the set for $44.95 + shipping and no need for anything else? Thanks

Chuck, APPLESRED

Welcome to the site Mark, you brought up a great subject because a groundhog took out my passenger driving lamp!! It was right after I bought it in Oct. 06 and Ford wanted $125.00 for 1 replacement and it's just plastic, in the parts dept.!!

I appreciate the info, I was waiting for a good price on the replacement for the driving lamps because the Ford dealer near me wanted an arm and leg for just 1 OEM! Just buy the set for $44.95 + shipping and no need for anything else? Thanks

Chuck, APPLESRED

These Hella lamps will not plug in to your factory wiring harness. Nor will the factory harness support this much power. If you wanted to use the H3 bulbs included in the kit, you would also need to wire in the relay (included) with a power feed from the fuse box or battery. You can use the factory wiring to trigger the relay and they work like stock then.

Archived