TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Subwoofer Upgrade

AFdude10

Anyone put in an aftermarket Subwoofer? I have a 2012 Shaker 500 w/ Nav.

I want a clean install in the trunk...so it seems there are two options. Either the Shelby/Kicker 10" or JL audio Stealth Box

Shelby Kicker: http://www.championmustang.com/modern/0513-shelbykicker-10-subwoofer-kit-coupe-p-1144.html?zenid=7b3707daa9447ba379c4b306d7db18d3

JL Audio: http://www.jlaudio.com/product/54216.103634.2096.40945.1115696/Ford_Mustang_Coupe_%2710-%2714

Both look clean...however the Shelby Kicker with everything (Amp included) is around $600 and the JL Audio stealth box comes with just a 13.5 in sub (need to buy an amp) and is $750. With an amp the JL Audio will be almost $1,000.

All I'm looking for is more bass. Listen to mostly rock/house/EDM. I've heard mixed reviews of the Shelby Kicker Sub...some say it gives some decent bass for a 10"...others say they barely notice a difference. 13.5in sub with a 500 watt amp is overkill...not to mention over priced for $1,000.

Anyone have experience with the Kicker 10" sub?

I have something similar with the JL audio 10"s in my trunk. Paired with some Focal 6X9's and a JL amp it kicks super hard. One thing I learned the hard way... the stock non 1000W system doesnt have subwoofer output so I changed my whole stereo, months after i found a module that gives the standard 500 system a designated line for subwoofer and amp so you dont have to chop up your wiring.

I have something similar with the JL audio 10"s in my trunk. Paired with some Focal 6X9's and a JL amp it kicks super hard. One thing I learned the hard way... the stock non 1000W system doesnt have subwoofer output so I changed my whole stereo, months after i found a module that gives the standard 500 system a designated line for subwoofer and amp so you dont have to chop up your wiring.

+1 here too

let me see if i can find it, it was on ebay an actual ford/lincoln part# just dont remember what I searched under. But its a module that adds subwoofer output something the stock stereo doesnt have and the way its taped in you can amp the sub without any feedback issues.

Similar but what I found has its own subwoofer inputs. My understanding is the shaker 500 system doesnt have seperate subwoofer outputs, so if you add subs then you have to split off the rear channel speakers then run an amp, the problem is the input signal is already amped so the subwoofer performance sucks and has feedback. I found two different manufactures (metra and someone else) but previously I had found one by ford/lincoln/mercury specifically for the shaker system that had un amped seperate subwoofer input line that plugged into the radio harness it was 39-49 bucks. I cant seem to find this and I didnt save it in my ebay items as I had already spent the money and was too late to go back but this 50 dollar part could have easily saved me 2000.

Similar but what I found has its own subwoofer inputs. My understanding is the shaker 500 system doesnt have seperate subwoofer outputs, so if you add subs then you have to split off the rear channel speakers then run an amp, the problem is the input signal is already amped so the subwoofer performance sucks and has feedback. I found two different manufactures (metra and someone else) but previously I had found one by ford/lincoln/mercury specifically for the shaker system that had un amped seperate subwoofer input line that plugged into the radio harness it was 39-49 bucks. I cant seem to find this and I didnt save it in my ebay items as I had already spent the money and was too late to go back but this 50 dollar part could have easily saved me 2000.

The Shaker 500 has a subwoofer amp that is up under the driver side kick panel that powers the 8" door subwoofers. You can tap the output signal from this amp and run a LOC (such as a LCI2) and run that to your amp.

I've read that the rear speakers actually have the low frequency signal taken out...so it wouldn't be ideal for a subwoofer amp input. No idea if this is true, however.

Either way...I'm still not sure what you're referring to. Even if you did find a pre amp full signal coming from the the head unit...you'd need a LOC to convert the signal and wiring to RCA that would plug into the Amp

Archived