TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Five Oh B takes his 07 GT drag racing for the first time.

Five Oh B

I found 2 other vendors. Don't know if the first makes a converter for the new Mustang 5 speed auto but here it is:

ATI transmissions

This is another site that is really interesting. They compare torque converters from their competition (some of the guys we have already looked at?) and, of course, they come out looking pretty good. It reminds me of the pickup wars right now. Here's the address:

Precision Industries

And here is the interesting comparison:

Converter comparison

Don't know if I could put a pink converter in my Mustang however! :hysterical2:

Couldn't find any listings for 05-07 Mustang 5R55S transmissions from ATI, Precision, or Art Carr. So far, TCI is the only company that I can find with a stall converter for our transmission. I'm gonna do some more searching online, talk to our local "Mustang" shop, and see what I can learn.

Fuddle Racing - Click Here.

Reading over their specs, they appear to use high quality components and have a great/lenient warranty. Looks like about $560 (+$50 shipping) for their "HP/Street" converter in your choice of stall speeds (3000-3200, 3400-3600, or 3800-4000). They also claim the massive clutch they use can lock-up even at wide-open throttle! I emailed them specifics about my car for a recommendation. I'm leaning toward the 3800-4000 stall speed, since our cars make peak torque at 4,200 rpm's.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jun 7 2007, 12:56 AM) 159694[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Best run tonight was 13.40 @ 102.92 mph. Average of the 5 good runs was 13.49 @ 102.74 mph.

Not bad for a little 281 cubic inch...

Gotta love technology! My '68 Pontiac GTO had a 406 cubic inch V8 (400, .030 over) balanced & blueprinted with more aggressive cam, Turbo 400 Automatic with shift kit and 3,100 rpm stall converter, and 3.90 saf-t-trac (posi) rear end. Only weighed 200 lbs more than my '07 Mustang GT. Best it ever ran the 1/4 mile was 13.60 at 99 mph on slicks. Heck, a bone stock 05-07 Mustang GT Automatic can do that!

The improvements have been amazing and computers have been a big part of that in all phases: design, manufacturing, and vehicle operation. I wonder when they will drop the wiring harness and go with a Ethernet bus approach? The cables going into the ECM are bigger than the ECM itself now. Intermittent shorts in the harness are the worst kind of problem to diagnose.

Irregardless of how they accomplished it, they have produced a fantastic car! :happy feet:

Just ordered a stall converter for my GT so that I can launch harder. I spec'd one that is a lock-up converter (super heavy clutch that can handle lock-up at wide-open throttle), billet front cover (for strength and light weight), and killer warranty with exchange privileges if I decide I bought the wrong unit, or need to upgrade for any reason. Went with one designed to stall (or flash) to 3,400 to 3,600 rpm's. My factory torque converter only stalls to about 2,200 rpm's (yuck) hence the lame 60' times at the track, despite great traction.

I compared the best timeslip for my 2003 Mach 1 (manual trans with 4.30 gears and drag radials) to my best timeslip for my 2007 GT Automatic (4.10 gears, stock tires). The Mach 1 launched harder (left at 4,500 rpm's) with a 1.79 60' time versus 2.01 in my GT. That .2 second advantage turned into .4 at the 1/8 mark (8.2 versus 8.6), but the mph at the 1/8 mile is very close (82.9 mph in the Mach 1 versus 82.5 mph in the GT), so after the launch the GT starts to gather up speed like my Mach 1 did. At the 1000' mark, there is still the .4 second spread (10.8 for the Mach 1 versus 11.2 for the GT). At the end of the 1/4 mile, there is still the .4 second spread (13.0 for the Mach 1 versus 13.4 for the GT). Trap speed is better in the Mach 1 (gotta love the better aerodynamics of the 99-04 'new edge' bodied Mustangs). Mach 1 traps at about 105 mph (often just over), while the GT traps just shy of 103 mph.

All the companies that I called about stall converters claim a .2 second improvement in 60' time with their products. All of them with the stall speed I ended up buying claim a .5 to .75 second improvement in the 1/4 mile. Sounds optimistic to me. I'd be happy dropping into the 12.9's from the 13.4's I'm running now. I'll have to get some drag radials to take advantage of the new/violent launches I'm expecting, and report back as to how the car performs. Hoping it's all ready to race within a month (a couple weeks for shipping, then shop time when I can get an appointment).

I'm getting excited! If this thing really runs 12.90's, then I may be content and stop modding this car - not!

Congratulations! You better get drag radials after you install that beast or leave the TC on! Wait, is that the smell of burning rubber.... no it's just $200x2 going up in smoke :hysterical2:

Do you have to get a new tune for the transmission? Let us know how it changes the street driveability.

Congratulations! You better get drag radials after you install that beast or leave the TC on! Wait, is that the smell of burning rubber.... no it's just $200x2 going up in smoke :hysterical2:

Do you have to get a new tune for the transmission? Let us know how it changes the street driveability.

Yep, the tire budget just got bigger. I honestly don't know if I'll need a custom tune for the trans, but my Diablo tuner came with unlimited lifetime custom tunes if I need one. I can change of the trans parameters myself with the tuner, but I'm no expert.

My '68 Pontiac GTO had a big stall converter so I've got an idea of what I'm up against. Street driveability was better than stock, so I expect that our modern computerized Mustangs should be just fine on the street. I stayed away from the "race only" converters, as they are either non-lock-up and/or flash too high. Either way, they generate too much heat from being so loose (slipping to flash higher) and long term durability would be a problem. My GT is a true dual-duty car - daily driver and weekend warrior at the track - so durability is a key concern.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jun 8 2007, 09:37 PM) 160687[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Notice how you don't really notice my car when parked next to bright cars in this pic from the 5/26 GT500 Meet and Greet that Grabber and TanaBanana put on...

post-2549-1181353032_thumb.jpg

Your car? where? :headscratch:

:hysterical:

Exactly my point, my Alloy brother. At least your Alloy Mustang has stripes and 500 horses shaking the ground. People might not see yours, but they'll feel it coming!

post-2549-1181353032_thumb.jpg

Ended up ordering one of Fuddle Racing's High Performance Street/Strip stall converters. It's a lock-up converter, and is rated to stall/flash to 3,400 to 3,600 rpm's. I was talked down from the 3,800+ model, as I drive this car every day, and only race it periodically throughout the year. It should be here soon and I have an appointment set this Friday for our shop to install it. Our trans expert has been here forever and tells me that I shouldn't need to reprogram anything, unless I want a very specific speed for the lock-up feature. I may have to experiment with the transmission settings in my tuner, though, to set a shift firmness that's appropriate for the track, and then one for the street.

Now I'm going to have to buy drag radials. The factory stall converter only flashed to 2,200 rpm's so traction was abundant at the track (lots of VHT compound all over the starting pad). But, launching at 3,500 rpm's is going to really change things. Looking for 60' times to drop to 1.80's (versus 2.00's) and 1/4 miles to drop to 12.90's or 13.00's (versus 13.40's).

Next on the shopping list is a one-piece driveshaft. Lots of rotational mass can be eliminated that way. By doing all the mods under the car that people can't see (even with the hood up), I'm making the perfect sleeper for the streets. The dark, dull color and lack of wing or bling helps, too.

+1 but don't know how stealthy DRs are! Can't wait to hear your impression on the torque converter.

I going to have the DR's mounted on the factory wheels. Unless someone is specifically looking at the tread or the wording on the sidewall, I don't think most will know the difference. And since dry weather is upon us for a few months, I'm going to leave the DR's on the car for daily driving all summer long (only 4 miles to work).

If this converter works anything like the Art Carr 3,100 rpm converter I had in my '68 GTO, then it's gonna be a blast to launch this car. That Goat launched so hard (60' times in the 1.60's on slicks) that you could feel your fillings rattling in your teeth. It actually gave a passenger a neck strain once (really - doctor visit and everything!).

Archived