TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Thinking Of A 2013 Hertz V6 Gts Convertible

ShelbyKR664

OK, here me out. I am looking for a cool vehicle for my wife for her 50th birthday later this year. She wants a Mustang convertible and she really likes the new 2015 body. Problem is, SA does not look like it will build a V6 version of that car in the near future. (not to mention the cost of the SGT Conv.). The best option is the 2013 V6 GTS Stang. I was looking last night to see what was out there when I stumbed on a fleet of Hertz rental cars for sale on Ebay. I called one of the sellers this morning and he basically said you can buy a 30k mile (some with factory warranty) for around $15k. You could get an even better deal at the end of the month. They would offer all the documentation proving it was a Hertz rental and the title would also reflect that. True, it is a rental car but would it not be cool to have your Stang start off as a HERTZ car?? If SA would offer a gold stripe I would get either the black or white or red car. My wife does not need all the goodies or powertrain upgrades so you could be out under $25k plus shipping for a HERTZ/ShelbyGTS-H!!! I know it is not the real thing and am stretching it a bit but facts are facts. Has anybody done this conversion with a 2013 Hertz rental? Opinions greatly appreciated..

Edited by ShelbyKR664

It's not a Shelby. But as a cheap Mustang as a daily driver the Hertz pool can be good buys. Ask them for a list of cars that meet your spec and the miles and warranty status and the internal "list of things" that might have been done to it (i.e., some small accidents are handled internally to Hertz and don't find their way onto carfax).

Good luck!

It's not a Shelby. But as a cheap Mustang as a daily driver the Hertz pool can be good buys. Ask them for a list of cars that meet your spec and the miles and warranty status and the internal "list of things" that might have been done to it (i.e., some small accidents are handled internally to Hertz and don't find their way onto carfax).

Good luck!

It would still be a Shelby GTS with the conversion that happens to have a Hertz history. The manager I spoke to did say that a complete set of maintenance records would be included with the sale. I would have to ask if there are any notations relating to paint or body work. (good point) They generally do not keep the MSRP sticker. Most have the books included but not guaranteed. He said that is the number one thing stolen from the rental fleet. He also suggested I check my local Hertz to see what they have. They generally only want to keep a car 2 years and move on to the next model.

Thanks for your input..

Be sure to get the service records. Some Hertz locations have an in service shop. Others send the cars out for oil and brake service. Warranty service is done under contract usually with a Ford dealer nearby. But on the other side, how much use did the car get? Hertz used to turn over the cars after 12000-15000 miles or two years, whichever came first. But when the economy went down, they extended those numbers in regions with smaller fleets or transferred the cars from primary (i.e. large airport) locations to smaller regional locations. The Hertz used car sales lots are are centrally located with cars brought in from many Hertz rental locations, so check the cars out. Some get way more use and rough treatment than others. When Ford owned Hertz many years ago, the deals were very good with high turnover of Mustangs each time the new models came out. Not so these days.

Oh, and negotiate on the price. Those cars were purchased at a fleet price discount and provided rental income against their bank lease.

Happy shopping.

It would still be a Shelby GTS with the conversion that happens to have a Hertz history. The manager I spoke to did say that a complete set of maintenance records would be included with the sale. I would have to ask if there are any notations relating to paint or body work. (good point) They generally do not keep the MSRP sticker. Most have the books included but not guaranteed. He said that is the number one thing stolen from the rental fleet. He also suggested I check my local Hertz to see what they have. They generally only want to keep a car 2 years and move on to the next model.

Thanks for your input..

I didn't see the part about a Shelby GTS. Having a Shelby with a Hertz root would be cool.

I'd suggest trying to get all the info you can on all of the cars to help choose one that has a good history going in instead of just getting the paperwork associated with the one you chose based on only partial data.

I've known people who have bought used rental cars in the past (not the Shelby Hertzes, they weren't even Hertz cars, I think it was Enterprise). Rental places used to turn their inventory at fairly low miles, but lately I've been getting regular Hertz cars with over 30K miles and not in condition I would consider buying as a used car.

Good luck!

Edited by twobjshelbys

Thanks 66GT350P. good advice for sure. There are a ton of them for sale in the FL market. My local Hertz office has 1 in stock but mentioned they could make a request from other offices. The thing is, I want to see the car first and make sure it is not all beat to hell. I have taken this a step further and asked SA if they could put a set of the CragerGT350 wheels they are selling on EBAY. With the GT350 ish front end (which I love) the car takes on a GT350H look. The auto response said it could take 72 hours to get back.