TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steering Wheel Insert Help

Hey Guys,

Need some help on my steering wheel insert. The satin piece on the right side of the steering wheel by the cruise control buttons. Well Its cracked and I want to replace it. Do you need to remove the airbag to get that piece off or can you pry it up and take it off. I didn't want to force anything and wanted to see if any of you guys replaced that part.

Thanks,

Francis

If yours is the same as my 2008 GT/CS, and what you want to replace is the silver surround that frames the buttons, it snaps off. Click. It's in your hand. Replacements can't cost too much.

I took mine off and painted them satin/semi-flat black because in the convertible the sun would hit them and ruin my vision.

I thought it would be as simple in my 2013 and 2014 cars, but no such luck: the steering wheel does have to come off in those.

Albino,

Yes I do know how to take the airbag off. I do like the 08/09 bullitt wheel but I like mine. Thanks for the suggestion though.

FrankS,

How did you get the piece to snap. My 07 should be exactly like your 08. Did you just snap it off from the underside or did you take a screw driver and pry it to snap off in from in between the piece and airbag?

Thanks,

Francis

Somewhere I bought a bag of "Interior trim tools", an assortment of pry tools made of relatively malleable plastic. I disremember which I used, but on of them with a screwdriver-like blade fit in the crack at the widest end, and with a twist the part popped right off. I'm certain the screwdriver would work as well, but I was cautious.