TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing Exhaust Yourself (In Garage On Axle Stands)

UKGT500

I have just removed my stock mufflers and unbolted the pipes from the X-pipe rearwards (I am not removing anything forward of the X-pipe.

The car is up on axle stands -not very high - just high enough to remove the wheels and the axle is hanging.

Problem is I can't manipulate the pipes out from over the axle. Looking at it I am not sure if raising the car higher will help. I am wondering if I unbolt the rear shocks and lower the axle if that will give me the necessary clearance. I would also be able to easily remove the rear springs then too for more room...

I just want to try out a friend's system he happened to have lying around while I am doing a few jobs on my car over winter.

Thanks, Malc

Without it being up on a lift where you can drop the pipe almost straight down and twist it over the axle, I'm not sure you can get it out of there. You may need to unbolt the shock and give it a go with the rear end a few more inches down. If not, you can always just unbolt the lower control arm, pull the spring out (very easy) and pull the pipe out sideways. That may be your only option without getting it up in the air more. Try just the shocks first.

Without it being up on a lift where you can drop the pipe almost straight down and twist it over the axle, I'm not sure you can get it out of there. You may need to unbolt the shock and give it a go with the rear end a few more inches down. If not, you can always just unbolt the lower control arm, pull the spring out (very easy) and pull the pipe out sideways. That may be your only option without getting it up in the air more. Try just the shocks first.

Thanks, that will be the plan. On all the videos they are obviously in a shop with the car on a ramp rather than doing it on their garage floor! I didn't anticipate it would be that much of a problem. Unfortunately with the mufflers I have "borrowed" they will not fit on to the stock pipes so I have to change those as well.

Cheers, Malc