TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby American Launches 2015 Shelby Gt Muscle Car For Enthusiasts Worldwide

RichS

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

More Information: Shelby American, Inc. | (702) 942-7325 | sales@shelbyamerican.com

SHELBY AMERICAN LAUNCHES 2015 SHELBY GT MUSCLE CAR FOR ENTHUSIASTS WORLDWIDE

• Spectacular new Shelby GT unveiled at Barrett-Jackson in Ford Motor Company booth
  • Available with 627 HP for both manual and automatic transmission cars
  • The first Shelby GT also designed for international markets

News-SGT011615-1t.jpg News-SGT011615-2t.jpg

LAS VEGAS – Jan. 16, 2015Shelby American, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International Inc. (CSBI:PK), launched the first global Shelby GT muscle car, which is based on the all-new 2015 Ford Mustang GT. One of the most popular cars in Shelby history the 627 HP 2015 Shelby GT was unveiled today at the Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale Auction in Ford Motor Company’s booth. Shelby is now taking orders with delivery of cars planned for the beginning of the second quarter of 2015.

“This 2015 Shelby GT incorporates all of the engineering lessons we’ve learned building high performance vehicles over the past 50 years,” said Joe Conway, co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International and CEO of Shelby American “With the international distribution of the current Ford Mustang, we worked closely with our partners to develop a car that can be offered in both North America and overseas. It’s the first Shelby muscle car in our history designed from day one to be a truly global vehicle.”

In 2007, Ford Division, Carroll Shelby and Ford Racing created the Shelby GT. Beginning as 4.6L Mustang GT’s assembled at Ford, they were shipped to Shelby in Las Vegas for transformation. Around 8,000 Shelby GT’s were built from 2007 to 2008 and the wildly popular car dominated its SCCA racing class. In 2013, Shelby American returned the Shelby GT to its lineup after a five year hiatus.

“We took a new approach with the 2015 Shelby GT,” said Shelby American Vice President of Operations Akos J. Feher. “We had a lot of fun designing these cars and ended up building the most powerful Shelby GT ever offered without sacrificing reliability. All exterior parts were designed and developed in-house, with every component exclusive to Shelby. We only used lightweight carbon fiber for all the aerodynamic components, including the brand new hood. The components were designed to allow a high level of customization for our customers, like the new billet aluminum front grilles.”

Every aspect of the Shelby GT is enhanced to create a potent all-around performer. Like it’s predecessor, this car features Ford Racing Performance Parts including a 627 HP supercharger, performance handling kit and half shafts. Gearing has been upgraded 3.73 gears and paired with chrome-tipped Borla exhaust. The Shelby GT rides on a staggered set of WELD Racing wheels shod with sticky Michelin tires.

This car loves the twisties and can handle the curves thanks to the new performance handling kit. The Wilwood six piston front brakes ensure the car can stop on a dime. The base car’s good looks are enhanced by adding a new hood with functional air vents and other functional aerodynamic components like a 2-piece rear diffuser. All of the Shelby exclusive exterior parts are made of carbon fiber; they are not only functional but also look great either painted or unpainted. Shelby exclusive front grilles, made entirely out of billet aluminum highlight the already aggressive nose of the car.

A Shelby GT can be built based on either a manual or automatic Mustang GT, is 50 state emissions legal in the USA and runs on pump gas. Shelby’s most demanding customers can order a ’15 Shelby GT with a long list of options including a 700+HP performance upgrade, adjustable suspension, upgraded big brake kit, and a number of interior upgrades.

“The 2015 Shelby GT is a nicely balanced muscle car that does everything well, whether on the track or on the drag strip” said Gary Patterson, Shelby American Vice President of Strategic Sales and Media Relations. “This post-title program takes performance to extreme levels. At the same time, the styling is sleek yet uniquely American with touches from Shelby history. Based on the fantastic new Ford Mustang platform, the Shelby GT can easily double as formidable daily driver and then run rings around the competition at track events.”

This is a post-title program; Ford dealers worldwide can contact Shelby American to build a Shelby GT based on a car owned by a customer or one of their 2015 Mustang GT fastbacks or convertibles. Each car will be issued a Shelby American CSM number for documentation in the official Shelby American Worldwide Registry to maximize potential collectability.

“The demand for Shelby vehicles, parts and products around the globe continues to skyrocket,” said Neil Cummings co-CEO of Carroll Shelby International and CEO of Carroll Shelby Licensing. “In addition to a superb facility in Las Vegas, Shelby is establishing mod shops worldwide. This will allow enthusiasts worldwide who have access to a Ford Mustang to transform it into a Shelby GT locally.”

The price of the base Shelby GT modification, not including the Ford Mustang GT, is $39,995. Customers can build their Shelby GT online at http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2015shelbygt.asp or call (702) 942-7325/ (844) 974-3529.

About Shelby American, Inc.

Founded by legend Carroll Shelby, Shelby American manufactures and markets performance vehicles and related products. The company builds authentic continuation Cobras, including the 427 S/C, 289 FIA and 289 street car component vehicles; it offers the Shelby GT, 1000, GT500 Super Snake and GTS post-title packages for the 2005-2015 Ford Mustang. Shelby American also builds the Shelby Raptor muscle truck and Shelby Focus ST hot hatch. For more information, visit www.shelbyamerican.com.

2015 Shelby GT Key Features

Exterior:

• Carbon fiber hood with customizable hood vents
  • Carbon fiber front splitter
  • Carbon fiber rocker panels
  • Carbon fiber 2-piece rear diffuser
  • Carbon fiber rear deck lid
  • Carbon fiber trunk spoiler
  • Carbon fiber mirror covers
  • Carbon fiber hood extension
  • Modular customizable billet aluminum upper and lower front grilles
  • Shelby GT striping
  • Shelby GT badging on front grille and on C-pillars
  • Shelby faux gas cap
  • “Powered by Ford” front fender badges
  • SHELBY lettering on trunk lid
  • Washer relocation kit

Interior:

• Shelby branded custom headrests
  • CSM dash plaque and engine plate
  • Carbon fiber dash pod with 3 gauges
  • Shelby GT door sill plates
  • Shelby branded floor mats

Performance:

• Ford Racing 627+HP supercharger
  • Ford Racing by Borla exhaust with Shelby oval tips
  • Ford Racing half-shafts
  • Ford Racing handling pack with upgraded shocks, springs and sway bars
  • Ford Racing short throw shifter for the manual cars
  • Wilwood performance front brake upgrade
  • Shelby Venice wheels by WELD Racing, 9.5x20 front and 10.5x20 on rear
  • Michelin tires 275/35/20 on front, 305/30/20 on rear
  • 3:73 rear gears

Additional Options:

• 700+ HP performance upgrade
  • Painted carbon fiber options
  • Rear brake upgrade
  • Shelby custom interior on both stock and Recaro seats
  • Front brake cooling system
    • Carbon fiber intakes
    • Fog light re-location
    • Air injection plate with channeling
  • Shelby Extreme Cooling system
  • Adjustable track suspension package
  • Engine dress up package
  • Track Delivery Experience

It is nice. But it will cost $73K (+ shipping costs) minimum including the car. Shelby GT350 base reportedly will be $52,995 (75 less HP which can be easily addressed). Shelby GT350R will probably be about same price as Shelby GT. I guess we'll have to see how they all compare on price, features and performance.

Unfortunately Keith Belair comparison of the 2015 SGT and the original (07/08) is so far off in the weeds I had to chuckle......

The GEN1 SGT was designed and priced to be in reach of a middle American's income (which the 'stealerships' almost managed to ruin with ADMs). The “New SAI” has become the Mustang upfitter's to the “Rich and Famous” and NOT Middle America!

Don't get me wrong the car is gorgeous, however like someone else has already posted the upfitter package alone is over $5,000 more than I paid for my 2008 coupe new!

I'm glad I had the opportunity in late 2007 to purchase my pre-title SGT which I will never sell. So I can buy both my wife and I new Mustang GTs and still have a SHELBY in the garage for the price of a new SGT....

Whoever can afford to buy one grandkids will be very lucky, in the end I believe these will become very collectable because very few will be built.

Edited by 08SGT1234

I had a nice talk with the Ford rep today at Barrett Jackson regarding the GT350 and GT350R. He said the retail price has not been set and that potential buyers will be very surprised at the GT350 retail price. I suspect that it will be closer to $50,000 than $54,000 based on my conversation today.

I also watched the unveiling of the the Shelby GT. The Shelby GT package is basically $40,000. I figure a new SGT at around $76,000. The SGT is one gorgeous car. very well done and thought out. The price is the "bomb" though.

"In 2007, Ford Division, Carroll Shelby and Ford Racing created the Shelby GT. Beginning as 4.6L Mustang GT’s assembled at Ford, they were shipped to Shelby in Las Vegas for transformation. Around 8,000 Shelby GT’s were built from 2007 to 2008 and the wildly popular car dominated its SCCA racing class. "

What SCCA class would that be ? Are you referring to SCCA Solo and Sam Strano (autocrossing in a parking lot) or in SCCA road racing on a race track ? Enlighten me - I'd like to know since I currently compete in a 2007 Shelby GT in the SFR SCCA road racing.

Not digging the price and certainly not the black composite hood and the price to paint it the same color as the rest of the car, I just don't see it and you will end up with your money tied up for a year waiting on the car to be built. Shelby needs to go back to the roots of it's packages that were available on the 2007-08 run of vehicles and go for a larger market.

I do like the vehicle, but the price is just out of reach.............. GG

Edited by TAPD117

"In 2007, Ford Division, Carroll Shelby and Ford Racing created the Shelby GT. Beginning as 4.6L Mustang GT’s assembled at Ford, they were shipped to Shelby in Las Vegas for transformation. Around 8,000 Shelby GT’s were built from 2007 to 2008 and the wildly popular car dominated its SCCA racing class. "

What SCCA class would that be ? Are you referring to SCCA Solo and Sam Strano (autocrossing in a parking lot) or in SCCA road racing on a race track ? Enlighten me - I'd like to know since I currently compete in a 2007 Shelby GT in the SFR SCCA road racing.

i think it was b production in 07 and 08?

I think it depends on how you look at it from a price stand-point, you really can't compare this to a new GT-350 that is built on an assembly line, there is no way Shelby will be able to beat Fords costs. That said I would take this over the last GT-350 ALL DAY LONG and the price is comparable. I do think the prices are a little rich, at the same time I am happy they are not skimping like they did on the 2007-2008. I ended up putting $20K or so into mine and it still doesn't have some of the options this car has.

They will certainly be more limited, but to me that is not a bad thing. I think the GT-500 watered the name down, SAI cars should be limited. All of that said I do think they should make a less expensive option for Shelby fans that can't afford an $80K car.

:lurk:

Not digging the price and certainly not the black composite hood and the price to paint it the same color as the rest of the car, I just don't see it and you will end up with your money tied up for a year waiting on the car to be built. Shelby needs to go back to the roots of it's packages that were available on the 2007-08 run of vehicles and go for a larger market.

I do like the vehicle, but the price is just out of reach.............. GG

While I'm certainly not going to promise anything I think folks will be pleasantly surprised on the turn around times, not just for the SGT but all SAI built cars. Changes have and are still being made to streamline the build process.

Steve

Except for the Schnozz hoodline (is that a cucumber in your pocket?) The car seems pretty presentable. It's almost always possible to get pretty close to the factors involved in design choices, especially on performance oriented cars. I'd really like to hear from someone who was actually involved in the decisions. Informed conjecture is fun, but it lacks something important, my view.

"Well, we had a little snoop information and pictures that told us Roush and Galpin were doing certain things, and we were forced to mess with the hood to get instant identification in what will become a crowded field. Sorry!"

"Yeah, we know a flush grill is worth quite a bit of anti-drag, but we have to think of vulnerability in an environment where big spenders aren't always the best judges of distance or their own driving skill."

I think it depends on how you look at it from a price stand-point, you really can't compare this to a new GT-350 that is built on an assembly line, there is no way Shelby will be able to beat Fords costs. That said I would take this over the last GT-350 ALL DAY LONG and the price is comparable. I do think the prices are a little rich, at the same time I am happy they are not skimping like they did on the 2007-2008. I ended up putting $20K or so into mine and it still doesn't have some of the options this car has.

They will certainly be more limited, but to me that is not a bad thing. I think the GT-500 watered the name down, SAI cars should be limited. All of that said I do think they should make a less expensive option for Shelby fans that can't afford an $80K car.

Very astute observation.

Absolutely Keith was refering to Sam Strano's 2007/2008 F Stock victory and Mary Pozzi's 2008 F stock L national championship in SCCA Solo.

These Shelby drivers dominated their classes all season. Sam won 9 of 10 points event in 2008.

Shelby is very aware and proud that you and Russ are flying the Shelby flag again in SCCA regional racing.

Unfortunately Keith Belair comparison of the 2015 SGT and the original (07/08) is so far off in the weeds I had to chuckle......

The GEN1 SGT was designed and priced to be in reach of a middle American's income (which the 'stealerships' almost managed to ruin with ADMs). The “New SAI” has become the Mustang upfitter's to the “Rich and Famous” and NOT Middle America!

Don't get me wrong the car is gorgeous, however like someone else has already posted the upfitter package alone is over $5,000 more than I paid for my 2008 coupe new!

I'm glad I had the opportunity in late 2007 to purchase my pre-title SGT which I will never sell. So I can buy both my wife and I new Mustang GTs and still have a SHELBY in the garage for the price of a new SGT....

Whoever can afford to buy one grandkids will be very lucky, in the end I believe these will become very collectable because very few will be built.

I agree. I'm glad Shelby priced the last one so I could afford it and will more than likely take it to the grave. At first when Shelby posed the idea of more Shelby GT's after 07/08 I hated the idea because I thought it would take away how special the car is. I don't feel that way anymore. I believe this new GT might help raise awareness of the Shelby GT name. I do like the car, but won't/can't pay that price.

Round about pricing-

Exterior:

• Carbon fiber hood with customizable hood vents- $1500, $2500 Painted
  • Carbon fiber front splitter- $500
  • Carbon fiber rocker panels- $500
  • Carbon fiber 2-piece rear diffuser- $650
  • Carbon fiber rear deck lid- $800
  • Carbon fiber trunk spoiler- $350
  • Carbon fiber mirror covers- $300
  • Carbon fiber hood extension- $250
  • Modular customizable billet aluminum upper and lower front grilles- $1000 (Real Billet, not the plastic garbage most of us have!!!)
  • Shelby GT striping- $1000
  • Shelby GT badging on front grille and on C-pillars- $250
  • Shelby faux gas cap- $100
  • “Powered by Ford” front fender badges- $100
  • SHELBY lettering on trunk lid- $100
  • Washer relocation kit- $50

That equals roughly $7500 NOT including the labor to most of these parts on so I would say $10-11000 is about right here give or take.

Interior:

• Shelby branded custom headrests- $300
  • CSM dash plaque and engine plate- $300
  • Carbon fiber dash pod with 3 gauges- $850
  • Shelby GT door sill plates- $400
  • Shelby branded floor mats- $200

Roughly $2000 here, add another $300 or so for labor bringing it to $2300.

Performance:

• Ford Racing 627+HP supercharger- $9000 depending on finish (Not sure if it is polished?)
  • Ford Racing by Borla exhaust with Shelby oval tips- $1000
  • Ford Racing half-shafts- $1000
  • Ford Racing handling pack with upgraded shocks, springs and sway bars- $1000
  • Ford Racing short throw shifter for the manual cars- $400
  • Wilwood performance front brake upgrade- $2300
  • Shelby Venice wheels by WELD Racing, 9.5x20 front and 10.5x20 on rear- $4500 (They are HIGH quality Forged Wheels)
  • Michelin tires 275/35/20 on front, 305/30/20 on rear- $1200
  • 3:73 rear gears- $400

Roughly $21,000, with labor maybe $24-25K or so.

Add it all up and it is pretty close, these were numbers off the top of my head, I did not research any of them. Some may be low or should include labor, but I would bet some are also high and it equals out. I can tell you compared to my other world (Porsche) all of these numbers are REALLY LOW especially the Carbon Fiber.

Last and most important is if you do these mods yourself you lose your warranty AND the resale value plummets comparably speaking. Even if you buy a Roush the resale is not close to a Shelby, to me that more than makes up for the price difference.

You can not compare this to a New GT350, that is an assembly line car like the GT-500, this car is going to be a lot more special then the GT350 IMO.

Edited by carnut12

Absolutely Keith was refering to Sam Strano's 2007/2008 F Stock victory and Mary Pozzi's 2008 F stock L national championship in SCCA Solo.

These Shelby drivers dominated their classes all season. Sam won 9 of 10 points event in 2008.

Shelby is very aware and proud that you and Russ are flying the Shelby flag again in SCCA regional racing.

That's great to know (Russ ran in the SCCA National races) and brings about the question of why Shelby isn't offering the new SGT in a non-supercharged version which would be more likely to be allowed within the existing classes of the SCCA (along with other sanctioning groups) to compete and bring forth the Shelby brand in grassroots racing.

That's great to know (Russ ran in the SCCA National races) and brings about the question of why Shelby isn't offering the new SGT in a non-supercharged version which would be more likely to be allowed within the existing classes of the SCCA (along with other sanctioning groups) to compete and bring forth the Shelby brand in grassroots racing.

Unfortunately, that is not in the plan. Can't say I disagree with SA, there are 7000 SGTs out there and there are only a few being raced.

Ford has taken the reins (due to high costs of organized racing) and the Shelby brand will be out there with the New GT350 in many venues

Edited by MMcGuirk

Roughly $21,000, with labor maybe $24-25K or so.

Add it all up and it is pretty close, these were numbers off the top of my head, I did not research any of them. Some may be low or should include labor, but I would bet some are also high and it equals out. I can tell you compared to my other world (Porsche) all of these numbers are REALLY LOW especially the Carbon Fiber.

I wish I had your money. In my world $24-25K and $39,999 aren't "pretty close". The numbers for carbon fiber are spot on for what I've seen from the aftermarket and I think a couple of your numbers were a bit high. I'm pretty sure the blower will be only $7500 not $9000, and although Shelby may charge $1000 for the stripes, there's no reason for them to cost more than $4-500. If door sill plates cost $400 you can bet your but they'd be left off my car unless they come in a box with $200 in cash inside. My Lloyd mats cost half of the $200 you estimated and are by far the nicest floor mats I've ever had the pleasure of using. $400 for 3.73's better be including the price of the labor too. I would say that if you want to have this done, do not order a performance pack car. They'll unbolt your 6 piston brembo's, keep them, and install 6 piston Wilwood's for no reason.

If you're gung ho on having a brand new non assembly line built Shelby, then this is the only real option you've got. But I believe you're going to be able to get into a Shelby GT350 for somewhere in the $50K range at the end of the day and have $20K + to play around with.

With the manufacturers on all sides releasing cars like the Hellcat, GT350/R, Z/28, GT500, ZL1, Challenger Scat Pack, Boss 302, SS 1LE, etc... I think we're seeing the decline in the need for outfits like SAI to cater to the average Joe. The only market they have left is the high roller who is willing to pay for the Shelby name. Look at what's happened to Saleen and even Roush to an extent over the last 5-6 years. Sure they still offer cars, but there seems to be a major decline since the 2011 model year compared to the mid 90's, and I think a lot of that is attributable to the fact that the manufacturers are building cars to fit these niche markets that were previously catered to by the aftermarket.

Edited by mavisky

I wish I had your money. In my world $24-25K and $39,999 aren't "pretty close". The numbers for carbon fiber are spot on for what I've seen from the aftermarket and I think a couple of your numbers were a bit high. I'm pretty sure the blower will be only $7500 not $9000, and although Shelby may charge $1000 for the stripes, there's no reason for them to cost more than $4-500. If door sill plates cost $400 you can bet your but they'd be left off my car unless they come in a box with $200 in cash inside. My Lloyd mats cost half of the $200 you estimated and are by far the nicest floor mats I've ever had the pleasure of using. $400 for 3.73's better be including the price of the labor too. I would say that if you want to have this done, do not order a performance pack car. They'll unbolt your 6 piston brembo's, keep them, and install 6 piston Wilwood's for no reason.

If you're gung ho on having a brand new non assembly line built Shelby, then this is the only real option you've got. But I believe you're going to be able to get into a Shelby GT350 for somewhere in the $50K range at the end of the day and have $20K + to play around with.

With the manufacturers on all sides releasing cars like the Hellcat, GT350/R, Z/28, GT500, ZL1, Challenger Scat Pack, Boss 302, SS 1LE, etc... I think we're seeing the decline in the need for outfits like SAI to cater to the average Joe. The only market they have left is the high roller who is willing to pay for the Shelby name. Look at what's happened to Saleen and even Roush to an extent over the last 5-6 years. Sure they still offer cars, but there seems to be a major decline since the 2011 model year compared to the mid 90's, and I think a lot of that is attributable to the fact that the manufacturers are building cars to fit these niche markets that were previously catered to by the aftermarket.

You didn't add all of the numbers together, it comes out to $37K or so. Add the resale and warranty in and IMO it's a better deal then any other post-title Company. Carbon fiber has significant quality differences, it depends on the quality, but I think the prices I listed are low, if it is high quality Carbon they are way low.

That said I agree it is not cheap, but comparing it to assembly line cars is not realistic or fair, it is apples and oranges. I would bet it was SAI's plan to end the watering down of the Shelby name, they appear to be trying to make it a Premium name, it remains to be seen if it pays off. Hopefully this doesn't go down the same road as the Focus, if so SAI is in deep trouble. My opinion is they need to stop letting Ford slap their name on Assembly line cars, that is when they will be able to charge these prices.

I give SAI a lot of credit, it appears they did not spare expense on this car, they did it right. However that does not mean it will sell, the market for this car is much different then the first Shelby GT.

Edited by carnut12

A little comparison....

5KSpZg4.jpg

Love the new cars but there is something about the models that Shelby touched, approved & built in his shop. Technology improvements will always develop a better mouse trap, but there is something about the history and Shelby's involvement. That is just my opinion. Of course all the new cars have a little influence of Shelby in them. Carry on and turn the page!

Edited by H0050

You didn't add all of the numbers together, it comes out to $37K or so. Add the resale and warranty in and IMO it's a better deal then any other post-title Company. Carbon fiber has significant quality differences, it depends on the quality, but I think the prices I listed are low, if it is high quality Carbon they are way low.

That said I agree it is not cheap, but comparing it to assembly line cars is not realistic or fair, it is apples and oranges. I would bet it was SAI's plan to end the watering down of the Shelby name, they appear to be trying to make it a Premium name, it remains to be seen if it pays off. Hopefully this doesn't go down the same road as the Focus, if so SAI is in deep trouble. My opinion is they need to stop letting Ford slap their name on Assembly line cars, that is when they will be able to charge these prices.

I give SAI a lot of credit, it appears they did not spare expense on this car, they did it right. However that does not mean it will sell, the market for this car is much different then the first Shelby GT.

Aaah, I see now. I thought the final bold numbers were the total.

I agree that it appears they are almost trying to take it more exclusive and more high end. Their latest wheel offering reflects that decision alone. Time will tell if it's the right call or not.

Aaah, I see now. I thought the final bold numbers were the total.

I agree that it appears they are almost trying to take it more exclusive and more high end. Their latest wheel offering reflects that decision alone. Time will tell if it's the right call or not.

They are taking a real risk with this direction, the risk outweighs the reward, but I like it. I think a Shelby should come from SAI, let the high performing Fords be SVT or Ford Performance Racing. I am by no means trying to start the ridiculous debate on prior Shelby's, they are ALL real Shelby's up until this point, I just think making them more limited is a Great idea and I do think there is a Market for them, but it might take a few years to find that out because of how many have been sold each year the past 7 years. The name is watered down somewhat.

IMO if their was no market for them then the Supersnake and GT-350 would have flopped and neither did.

Edited by carnut12