TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The F35 Is One Cool Plane

It does look cool, but unfortunately it doesn't work very well. Since it was designed to be all things for all branches of the service that fly, it doesn't do anything well. Once again we're at the mercy of Congress who decided they could design an all purpose aircraft to save money.

That thing is a black hole of our tax dollars. The latest report about it's 20mm gun are comical. I believe it carries like 180 rounds for it. Essentially about 4 seconds of cannon fire and it's out of ammo. But the best part is that the plane currently doesn't even have software that would let it fire those 4 seconds worth of ammunition and probably won't for the next 4 years.

On top of this, they keep trying to kill off the old and ugly, but super effective at close ground support, A10 and replace it with the F35. How well are you going to be able to defend our soldiers on the ground against AK wielding terrorists when you're flying a stealth fighter with 4 seconds worth of ammo. Meanwhile the A10 carries over 1100 round of ammo for it's even larger main gun and can protect those troops for 10 times as long and do more damage within that time frame.

Our government is totally screwing the pooch with military spending. Hell they just ordered another 120 million worth of Abrams tanks that the army has been saying they don't need for the last 4 years. But the head of the defense appropriations committee is a republican from Ohio and the plant is in Ohio. So against the generals wishes he's sending funding to his home state to keep him looking good and making sure he gets re-elected.

Another Republican wish list item .......brought to you by the war hawks from the Right .......you know the ones that are just way too happy to send your and my sons and daughters into harm's way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Well, you're incorrect, but this is not the forum to discuss politics. We were discussing the merits of the F-35, or lack thereof.

The F22 makes sense as a spearhead against a possible war with another large militarized country, but 90% of our battles will be insurgent type battles like we're currently seeing and you need ground support aircraft for that. 90% of our enemy lacks any sort of coordinated air defense aside from unguided ground based gun systems, and most of those are just a guy with a light machinegun shooting into the air.

The Air Force's grip on fixed wing aircraft is a joke and needs to be circumvented. The Army and Marines need A-10's on hand under their control along with updates to old weapons systems like the new rotary weapon bay on the B-52's and the new AC-130 support craft (not the Spectre gun-ships, although those are decent too). What they don't need is a stealth aircraft that has been compromised by trying to be a jack of all trades and a master of none.

The F35 looks neat with all that stuff there, but it can't carry much of that at all at one time, especially when it's the Marine's VTOL version.

The A10 on the other hand.

A10_Thunderbolt_Warthog-Wallpaper-640x76

And don't forget 1100 rounds for this monster.

707671.jpg

The one thing dumber than the F-35 is killing the A-10. Without the A-10 our ground troops will lose one of the premiere close cover assets that we have. All you have to do is look at what happened when we tried to use a B1B for close cover.

Asa ground fighter I will say that there is NOTHING that makes you feel better in a firefight, than when an A-10 comes on station overhead. It can get in ridiculously close for support, it can loiter longer for better suppression/destruction of the enemy and doesn't have to worry so much about taking fire because the thing can take so much damage it shouldn't be able to continue flying, but it does.

Well at least the AC-130J will be able to keep the 105 howitzer. Doesn't get much better for troop support than this thing in our current environment. Even the A10 can't deal out as much damage or loiter over troop columns as long as this beast.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-ac-130j-ghostrider-will-get-a-big-ass-gun-afterall-1682493641

Well at least the AC-130J will be able to keep the 105 howitzer. Doesn't get much better for troop support than this thing in our current environment. Even the A10 can't deal out as much damage or loiter over troop columns as long as this beast.

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-ac-130j-ghostrider-will-get-a-big-ass-gun-afterall-1682493641

My dad flew the predecessor to this, the AC-119. The ground troops in Vietnam liked how it could stay on site and circle the troops as long as it took to get the job done.

It could put a 20mm bullet in every sq. ft. of a football field in a matter of seconds.

I have great memories of the early AC47 and AC130 gunships ... their call signs were "Spooky" and/or "Puff the Magic Dragon". The An Hoa basin was in my Area of Operations (AO)during my 68-69 tour. I served with MACV Team 15 out of Hoi An which was down river/east of An Hoa. While I was with the ARVN Rangers, we did a lot of recon missions in the hills overlooking the river(s) and basin. During 68-69 the area was crawling with well supplied/trained NVA and at night we would confirm/lock NVA movement/positions, request/station “Puff /Spooky"” out of DaNang, then engage the NVA with recon-by-fire, and then “Puff/Spooky” would “smoke-em” while we “un-assed” the AO. This seemed to create “a high degree of pissivity” amongst the NVA and our 4 or 6 man recon teams were usually in “deep shit” , but those AC gunships certainly provided us breathing room!!!!!!

I have great memories of the early AC47 and AC130 gunships ... their call signs were "Spooky" and/or "Puff the Magic Dragon". The An Hoa basin was in my Area of Operations (AO)during my 68-69 tour. I served with MACV Team 15 out of Hoi An which was down river/east of An Hoa. While I was with the ARVN Rangers, we did a lot of recon missions in the hills overlooking the river(s) and basin. During 68-69 the area was crawling with well supplied/trained NVA and at night we would confirm/lock NVA movement/positions, request/station “Puff /Spooky"” out of DaNang, then engage the NVA with recon-by-fire, and then “Puff/Spooky” would “smoke-em” while we “un-assed” the AO. This seemed to create “a high degree of pissivity” amongst the NVA and our 4 or 6 man recon teams were usually in “deep shit” , but those AC gunships certainly provided us breathing room!!!!!!

My dad was stationed in Phang Rang in '69-'70 and their mission was to help out you guys whenever needed and shoot up the Ho Chi Minh trail. They always flew at night, looking for troops or trucks. He said they would shoot up a bunch of trucks one night on the trail then the next night the road would be rebuilt around the destroyed trucks. The North Vietnamese worked around the clock to get their supplies through the trail. I'm sure you saw a lot of action in VN.

Well that's lovely. I get really annoyed at their insistence on buidling a swiss army knife of a plane.

You know what knife is cumbersome, costs alot, and is not a very good knife, a swiss army knife. I'd rather have a separate screw driver, a nice knife, and a nice pair of scissors instead of a half assed version of all 3 crammed into one bulky object to lug around with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Drop the bullshit rule about the Army not having any fixed wing aircraft, hand the A-10 and AC-130 Spectre programs off to them and then the Air Force can march around with their noses in the air with their fancy stealth jets, and the Army can keep their soldiers safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if they will pull the plug like the F-22. Looks like the F-16 could be around for a while unless congress replaces them for the F-35.

BTW, My neighbor is in the Green Beret's and I asked him what he thought of the A-10's? He said they have saved him more than once and it's sad to see them go.

I know their are airplane buff's here and I heard we, the US has AC-17's and AC-5 gunships. Did a search, didn't find anything.

I guess the 17 fly's in conjunction with the A-10.

Edit:

Just found out the AC-17 and the AC-5 is all top secret..............( it doesn't exist )................... :sneaking:

• 8 months later...

Losing the A10 will be a problem, but since this is our government at work, they'll do the stupid thing and waste more money for things that can't get the job done. Give me a fleet of A10s, F16s, a few B52s, and some Apaches, and I'll eliminate the problem in the middle east tomorrow. Probably best not to ask how.

Archived