TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2017 Raptor

I'm not worried today, or tomorrow, or next year. But since I put 20K on the truck a year, at some time it will need a replacement. And if Ford is only offering V6s, I'm off to Dodge or Chevy, maybe a turbo diesel one, they are different on diesels.

I bought a 15 2500hd last week. I could not pass up the deal and what I got for my money. 4x4 6.0ltr V8, 6spd tranny, trailer package, 4:10 rear 13k tow capacity. $35k. Also got 0% financing . I went to my Ford dealer and asked about the new Raptor. There was already 10 people on their call list. He also said there would be a admin on the MSRP. He did not know what it would be. I told him i would never pay an admin fee much less MSRP. I am a die hard Ford guy so this took a little courage. I also looked at the Dodge but could not get the truck I wanted for the price. Nice truck though. image.jpg

Edited by ShelbyKR664

A six banger is a major mistake in a truck, bad enough in the Ford GT, but this is a disaster. I have 5 friends who bought an F-150 with that engine, and traded up to a 5.0 Coyote truck.

Make that SIX.

I traded my 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch w/Ecoboost on my 2012 F-150 Raptor w/6.2L after just a few short months.

My mileage SUCKED and it was way underpowered. The turbo lag drove me nuts too.

I'm WAY happy with my Raptor over my King Ranch other than a few creature comforts I gave up on the Raptor.

I won't have another Ecoboost.

Phill

Make that SIX.

I traded my 2011 F-150 4x4 King Ranch w/Ecoboost on my 2012 F-150 Raptor w/6.2L after just a few short months.

My mileage SUCKED and it was way underpowered. The turbo lag drove me nuts too.

I'm WAY happy with my Raptor over my King Ranch other than a few creature comforts I gave up on the Raptor.

I won't have another Ecoboost.

Phill

That is now a very common story. One friend told the Ford dealer about the terrible mileage on his Eco-Fart, the dealer thought he was making it up, so he took him on a ride and measured it. The dealer apologized and said Ford told him the Eco-Fart was a real gas saver, but the dealer made out well, my friend also traded up.

When I bought my F150 a year and a half ago I went with the Coyote V8 for three reasons. I did not want to buy into a new technology (V6 Ecoboost) until it was several years old and had proven itself. It cost $1,600 less for the V8 and I also loved the sound of the V8. These reasons made it an easy choice to go V8.

QSS

Edited by QuickSilverShelby

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markham51

I love the Raptor I currently have but....the new 17 Raptor looks pretty spectacular. 500 lbs less weight, 450hp Eco boost, Raptor only 10-speed automatic and significant 4wd and suspension upgrades...May/June Truck Trend

I love the Raptor I currently have but....the new 17 Raptor looks pretty spectacular. 500 lbs less weight, 450hp Eco boost, Raptor only 10-speed automatic and significant 4wd and suspension upgrades...May/June Truck Trend

And where is that 10spd automatic coming into play off-road? Great for street and gas mileage but off-road its fairly useless

Guest markham51

And where is that 10spd automatic coming into play off-road? Great for street and gas mileage but off-road its fairly useless

Lower gears are used where low gearing is important such as rock climbing or when starting off the line when under load, whereas higher gears provide benefits when highway cruising. The vehicle comes with various different terrain modes and I am sure they will have optimized the transmission to this purpose. No doubt the transmission experts on this site would have greater insight into this.

The new raptor is going to be great, the updated and tuned 3.5 v6 is going to be interesting since i would prefer Ford to stick a 302 with twin turbo or supercharge it with the help of Roush or Shelby in the truck. The eco boost has been a hit since it keeps improving every year that it's been out. The 10 speed auto with paddle shifters is a nice touch. I can honestly say I have seen this transmission coming since it's been worked on for a while now and will boost regular F-150 mpg a lot. 4x4 and AWD combined in one should be interesting long term. I would rather buy a v8 but hopefully Roush or Shelby will make a superchargd 302. Plus to anyone who complains about towing or talks about towing with a Raptor you are an idiot. The Raptor is not a towing vehicle it's a race truck for on road an off road performance. I use my current F-150 to tow and it's payload for hauling stuff from home depot. If you need to tow more then 8000 lbs the raptor is not the truck for you. Buy a F-150 with the eco boost or the 302 or super duty with the 6.2 or 6.7 for towing.

Lower gears are used where low gearing is important such as rock climbing or when starting off the line when under load, whereas higher gears provide benefits when highway cruising. The vehicle comes with various different terrain modes and I am sure they will have optimized the transmission to this purpose. No doubt the transmission experts on this site would have greater insight into this.

My family been off-roading for about 30 years and no we are not experts or rock crawlers I just can't see where its physically possible for you to use 10 gears off-road unless its a Baja type race? How many of us Raptor buyers are Baja racing? On the street yea much better gas mileage on highway but in town no way you are using 10 gears in most city driving from stop light to stop light so not sure what Ford is thinking with 10 gears?

My family been off-roading for about 30 years and no we are not experts or rock crawlers I just can't see where its physically possible for you to use 10 gears off-road unless its a Baja type race? How many of us Raptor buyers are Baja racing? On the street yea much better gas mileage on highway but in town no way you are using 10 gears in most city driving from stop light to stop light so not sure what Ford is thinking with 10 gears?

I suspect they did 10 gears to meet the needs of the off roaders as well the street users. I'm thinking it doesn't use the lowest gears unless needed or selected by the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still prefer to wait for the 2017 Raptor rather than locate a 2014 one?

I'm liking the 2017 except for the 6-banger and an all aluminum body. Truck looks good and has some upgrades that wish I had on my 2014 but no way in hell I'm selling my 2014 to buy the 2017! When driving long distance like out of state oh yea you bet your ass I would want that 10spd Automatic as the only time Raptor owners cry is when they drive long distance and the computer never goes above 12mpg lol. I don't care about gas mileage as its not my daily driver but sure a little better gas mileage would be great when driving cross country but then again I couldn't just make a right turn and go off-road in a regular truck huh.

I been reading over the Shelby Baja700 and that would be fun to drive! I went over the options twice and still have no clue where they're getting that price though? How much are they charging for the Shelby name on these? I can afford to have my Raptor turned into a Shelby Raptor or the Baja700 but I do not think these Shelby Raptors will hold any value in the future so why pay for the name? I buy my cars to drive so I could care less about future value.

What I think SAI should have done or they still can is offer a Parnelli Jones Shelby Raptor edition. The Bronco isn't around anymore because Ford is stupid so a Parnelli Jones Shelby Raptor I think would have more sales then the Shelby Raptor

Where do I find info on this Baja 700 I read about?

Phill

its on SAI's website where they list the car info

They are using top quality parts with the Rogue Racing suspension but cost doesn't make sense

Yeah, stay tuned! The performance of this build I have heard just awesome feedback from an audience that just hammered me when the first version came out. Going to TRR and SHOWING those guys from FRF what a SHeLBY raptor is now was a stroke of genius!

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just updating this topic and with this being almost the middle of 2016 wondering if Shelby has plans for the 2017 Raptor???

Based on some pics I have seen of Mustangs being built at SAI I can see Raptor's in the back round so they are still building them, but are there enough sales of Shelby Raptors and the Baja 700 Shelby Raptor that would make them say yes we will do the 2017?

• 2 months later...

After just spending a few days in Monterey with some Shelby guys, my gut feeling is that there will be a '17 Shelby Raptor. Nothing said by anyone specific but just general discussions, I think there will be one. I just hope Shelby announces it before Ford starts scheduling production of the '17 Raptor, so I can change my order specs if need be.

After just spending a few days in Monterey with some Shelby guys, my gut feeling is that there will be a '17 Shelby Raptor. Nothing said by anyone specific but just general discussions, I think there will be one. I just hope Shelby announces it before Ford starts scheduling production of the '17 Raptor, so I can change my order specs if need be.

Got a VIN# yesterday for my '17 Raptor and a build date of 10/10!!!!! :yahoo:

Edited by jdaallen

Now that makes more sense and congrats :)

Have you guys confirmed yet if doing a 2017 Shelby Raptor package?

I'm still voting for a Shelby Terlingua Raptor or even a Shelby Parnelli Jones Edition Raptor these would kick up sales on the 6-banger

Have you guys confirmed yet if doing a 2017 Shelby Raptor package?

I'm still voting for a Shelby Terlingua Raptor or even a Shelby Parnelli Jones Edition Raptor these would kick up sales on the 6-banger

I've been asking the same question. I still have a couple weeks that I can change spec items on my '17 Raptor order and it sure would be nice to know if Shelby is doing a package. For instance, why pay Ford the $1800 or so for their "graphics package" and have Shelby tear them off to install a Shelby graphics?? Or why pay Ford $900 for the wheels upgrade if a Shelby package would include wheels?? Come on Shelby people......let us know!!!

Yeah, I get it. I had the same issue buying my raptor in 2011 before the Shelby package was announced.

You can't fault Shelby here. They have to get their hands on a raptor first and figure out what it needs.

I suspect it will be next year before we see anything released. I'm waiting a year anyway so I'm not the Guinea Pig for the ecoboosted 10 speed auto. If recent history is any indicator, Ford tends to make vehicles way better by their third or fourth year in. My Raptor will be long in tooth by then. What I SHOULD do is supercharge my current raptor and save it for towing, and get a new raptor for daily. We will see.

If Shelby wanted an edge, they would put Greg Fouts on payroll as a raptor consultant and get his help with the new design because he has been running the new platform for well over a year.