TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2017 Raptor

A six banger is a major mistake in a truck, bad enough in the Ford GT, but this is a disaster. I have 5 friends who bought an F-150 with that engine, and traded up to a 5.0 Coyote truck. They got much more power and better fuel economy, Ford is really making some major mistakes trying to push six banger fart pipe cars and trucks on America. But, the guy in charge is named "Raj", so guess little fart pipe cars and trucks will be the norm.

Just for reference I currently own a '14 Shelby Raptor. I think the 6cy. is a mistake. Trying to get their reported 450+hp out of that engine is a stretch. Ford has many other choices that would be better. For instance they have a 5L turbo v8. I think the exterior is good looking. A continuation of the current good looks. The interior lacks a bit. Plastic looks cheaper. than current. Hopefully by the time they release it, late 2016 they say, all of the negatives will have been addressed.

Now, hopefully, SA is already planning wonderful updates to continue their tradition! Can't wait to see the progress. Ray

Just for reference I currently own a '14 Shelby Raptor. I think the 6cy. is a mistake. Trying to get their reported 450+hp out of that engine is a stretch. Ford has many other choices that would be better. For instance they have a 5L turbo v8. I think the exterior is good looking. A continuation of the current good looks. The interior lacks a bit. Plastic looks cheaper. than current. Hopefully by the time they release it, late 2016 they say, all of the negatives will have been addressed.

Now, hopefully, SA is already planning wonderful updates to continue their tradition! Can't wait to see the progress. Ray

Why do you think 450hp is going to be a stretch? The same engine in the FGT will be over 600hp. I've got a few friends with Ecoboost F-150's that are over 500 with different turbos and tuning.

I have a 2013, with an added Whipple SC, and I agree.

Why do you think 450hp is going to be a stretch? The same engine in the FGT will be over 600hp. I've got a few friends with Ecoboost F-150's that are over 500 with different turbos and tuning.

Just basic personal motor experience. The more hp you pump in a small motor the less reliability your going to have. Also remember, pickups have a different life than your average GT and you moving 3 tons every time you accelerate. Not saying it can't be done just would rather have a v8 doing the work.

I think what one person meant was lets see how reliable that 6-banger is off-road when banging around and having to produce under those conditions compared to the big V8. Having driven an Econoline E350 Van as a daily driver for 30 years with the 6.8 V10 in a 1998 and now a 2010 Van I know exactly what the V10 can and cannot do in all driving conditions in all types of weather and in my opinion NO WAY POSSIBLE will that eco-boost V6 in that butt ugly Transit Van even come close to performing the same as the Econoline so FORD really has no clue comparing the 2 Vans. Personally, when Ford said the eco-boost V6 will outperform the 6.2 V8 in the Raptor well I laughed hard at that one and I'm still a newbie Raptor owner

I will drive my 2010 Econoline into the ground then do an engine swap as I would never be caught driving that fugly Euro Transit Van!

Man, some people here have not been keeping up with the facts.

1. The ecoboost in the current F150 is not the ecoboost the raptor will get. It will be close to 500hp btw.

2. Not holding up? It just completed a Baja 1000 that typically sees more than 50% of the field have mechanical breakdowns. It performed flawlessly.

3. I don't know about anyone else' raptor, but mine puts a little less than 325hp to the wheels, and 355 tq . The 2017 with its pansy little engine will get 20% more hp and tq weigh 500 lbs less, go from 2.5 fox shocks to 3.0 shocks, and the 10 speed trans will nearly double the mpg.

If Shelby, Roush, Henessey, or Chuck friggin Norris told you they had a package that could do that to your 6.2, would you care if it was powered by petchulli oil and incense? Or would you be like me- "just shut up and take my money!!!"

And THEN we get to see what the aftermarket can do to it?!

Guys, drop the V8 card, learn how to text and check "voicemail", and welcome to the future. It's bright, fast, and whizzing by the v8 man cardholders.

1. The ecoboost in the current F150 is not the ecoboost the raptor will get. It will be close to 500hp btw.

2. Not holding up? It just completed a Baja 1000 that typically sees more than 50% of the field have mechanical breakdowns. It performed flawlessly.

3. I don't know about anyone else' raptor, but mine puts a little less than 325hp to the wheels, and 355 tq . The 2017 with its pansy little engine will get 20% more hp and tq weigh 500 lbs less, go from 2.5 fox shocks to 3.0 shocks, and the 10 speed trans will nearly double the mpg.

If Shelby, Roush, Henessey, or Chuck friggin Norris told you they had a package that could do that to your 6.2, would you care if it was powered by petchulli oil and incense? Or would you be like me- "just shut up and take my money!!!"

Guys, drop the V8 card, learn how to text and check "voicemail", and welcome to the future. It's bright, fast, and whizzing by the v8 man cardholders.

I get my Raptor info from the Raptor experts guys who have been doing this for years and know exactly what it can and cannot do especially the difference between the engines so you might want to check your facts. Shelby, Roush, Hennessey NONE of these are off-road experts so I wouldn't be spouting their names.

Dude, I was giving examples of well known names in the mod business as an example of what people pay to upgrade their vehicles. You clearly misread my comment.

I've had my raptor since 2011, been on FRF since then, been to countless Raptor events, know all the guys in the business, and have 95k miles in mine.

I get my information from Ford engineers that I know and talk to regularly that develop these vehicles. Ford set up Greg Howe in a 2014 raptor that was secretly built to test the new chassis and engine at the Baja 1000.

Edit: I felt that your post was pretty hostile, and I questioned your raptor knowledge, but I've removed that because as long as you have been here, you would know I'm not one to throw out misinformation, so maybe it does just boil down to you misunderstood my post.

Edited by DubbsFaris

Mike, i dont consider myself a young guy, and the only V6 mustang Ive ever owned is the Terlingua. Im not the biggest fan of the 4.0L V6, but thats mainly because its pretty underpowered compared to the v8s -at that time. I guess I have always been drawn to larger displacement- my 5.4, then 5.8 GT500s, and I could have chose the 5.4 Raptor, but went with the 6.2.

But, that said, if someone asked me if I wanted a 6.2 raptor and showed me its performance specs, or the new eco raptor and showed me its specs, how could I possibly go for slower, heavier, less power, and half the mpg? I mean, are people really willing to give up THAT much performance to simply say it has a V8? The terlibgua has a dog of a v6, but with the side exhaust, it sounds pretty damn good, so surely its not the sound, right?

Is this left over from the mid 70s, because Ford took away large displacement options and cut HP on newer models by more than half? The argument makes perfect sense back then. I just cant really understand it now. Btw- ive never owned a foreign car- at all. Never. I did rock a pretty mean 1971 Checker Cab Marathon in my youth though.

I think my experience goes back to my first car. The only thing I could afford working as a bellboy at 50 cents an hour in high school was a '57 Chevy 150 sedan with a six banger. I saved for a year to get a V8 to put into it and have never liked 6's since. I have had a foreign car, a V8 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. It had 525 HP and I drove the wheels off it, 160,000 miles before I traded it in on my Raptor,never even one problem with it, but the turbos were just too non-linear and unpredictable in power response. My S/C Raptor is perfect for towing my car trailer and my Shelbys and Corvette around the country for meets and shows. The dyno shows about 600 HP, and it pulls the trailer loaded like it was a kid's Radio Flyer since the torque is massive. I get 10 mpg when towing, 15 otherwise. Now, I am curious how this 6 banger Raptor could exceed these numbers. MPG is not that important to me, and the Raptor does have a 35 gallon tank anyway. If the 6 can perform better than my V8 (HP and torque and towing capacity), we can talk, but I am skeptical it can even come close.

Well said, I love it!!! Can't wait to see it up close.

Mike, I was speaking to a stock 6.2 v this new Eco 6. Of course having a SC 6.2 makes this a much different discussion. Then the question will be this- Will the new Ecoboost be as mod friendly as the V8 has been? (although there are quite a few horror stories with 6.2 SC detonations and other drivetrain issues too) I know historically a V8 is better than a V6. But even back then, its based on HP and Torque. Thats all Im looking at. New Govt regs are going to choke out non efficient performance. You can not like that all you want. For manufacturers, there is no alternative. For us, perhaps a new market presents itself with mod shops dropping in V8s. Its not that much a stretch really. I know guys who spend 50k on a motor and install with what we got now. To me, I dont care how many cylinders it has or if it has any at all. Look at the new AWD Tesla: 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Its a V0

The final tune isnt settled on yet, according to who I have talked to, but it will be somewhere between 450 and 500. (I know its been reported it will be 450 already by Hameedi to Fox Sports, but was that an official announcement?.) I do know that like the SHO and Explorer Sport Eco, a tune alone will open up a solid 15-20% gain, and if they settle at 450 on the raptor? I would say 20-25% on a tune alone will be possible from what Ive been told.

Mike, I was speaking to a stock 6.2 v this new Eco 6. Of course having a SC 6.2 makes this a much different discussion. Then the question will be this- Will the new Ecoboost be as mod friendly as the V8 has been? (although there are quite a few horror stories with 6.2 SC detonations and other drivetrain issues too) I know historically a V8 is better than a V6. But even back then, its based on HP and Torque. Thats all Im looking at. New Govt regs are going to choke out non efficient performance. You can not like that all you want. For manufacturers, there is no alternative. For us, perhaps a new market presents itself with mod shops dropping in V8s. Its not that much a stretch really. I know guys who spend 50k on a motor and install with what we got now. To me, I dont care how many cylinders it has or if it has any at all. Look at the new AWD Tesla: 0-60 in under 3 seconds. Its a V0

At the end of the day, HP, torque, and reliability will determine my choices for future cars. Like I said, if a 6 gets me the same torque, HP, and towing abilities as my current Raptor, I am willing to look. But in comparing to an electric car, be careful. As my physics prof used to say, an electric motor develops 100% of its' torque on starting. In other words, it gets tapped out very early, just look at the HP and torque curves on them, nothing left after about 100 mph, they are just dead weight coasting, like a golf cart. I want something that keeps climbing for a street machine, for a drag race the electric motor may be fine, but still think it would be much cheaper and easier to build an internal combustion engine to beat it every time.

Oh, and I am hoping that once the current radical enviro is out of the White House, more sanity and rational thought will return and the CAFE garbage will get real.

Edited by mikeljgt500kr

Well, if that is all Ford has in it's trucks, I will be buying a GMC most likely, or a Ram, when I replace my Raptor, unless it is north of 600HP with torque to match from a 6 banger EnviroEco-Kooko Boost whatever, and I doubt they can make that.

Already makes 600 in the GT

HP or torque? I suspect the torque is like 400, it is a flat plane crank 6 banger. And will they put the GT engine in a pickup?

A flat plane V6? What???? I don't think that is physically possible. The torque stock on the Raptor 3.5L will be greater than what the 6.2 L V8 will put out. I believe that what Tim is talking about is what the capabilities of the engine have shown. The engine used in the Daytona Prototype (same as what will be in the GT) is over 80% factory off of the assembly line F150 3.5L engine. Only internals have been changed, some head work, different turbos, oil sump, and tuning. The engine is far greater than 500 ft. lbs.

Edited by JeffJ

I was mixing up the Eco-fart-Boost engine with the V8 the GT350 and GT350R will have, which is a flat plane crank. My 6.2 is supercharged, and has 600HP and 610 lb.ft. , so that is what I am comparing to here and will compare for any replacement. I use my truck for towing mostly and need the extra HP and torque, so am skeptical about a V6 and I really do not like turbos, way too unpredictable and non-linear in throttle response.

• 1 month later...

I was mixing up the Eco-fart-Boost engine with the V8 the GT350 and GT350R will have, which is a flat plane crank. My 6.2 is supercharged, and has 600HP and 610 lb.ft. , so that is what I am comparing to here and will compare for any replacement. I use my truck for towing mostly and need the extra HP and torque, so am skeptical about a V6 and I really do not like turbos, way too unpredictable and non-linear in throttle response.

In case you did not know already, semi's have been using turbos for years. I know they are diesels and I am not sure how much different torque is between gas and diesel, but the fact they us turbos to help pull sounds good to me. Just curious, you already have a Raptor! Why worry?

Just curious, you already have a Raptor! Why worry?

I'm not worried today, or tomorrow, or next year. But since I put 20K on the truck a year, at some time it will need a replacement. And if Ford is only offering V6s, I'm off to Dodge or Chevy, maybe a turbo diesel one, they are different on diesels.