TEAM SHELBY FORUM

More On The Motor

twicebitten

• 1 month later...

I didn't think it could be with the 90 degree crank journal configuration. It will be interesting to see what the new firing order sounds like. This motor at full song spinning 8000 RPM has got to be a screamer

You even replied to the topic where the firing order is documented.

Ford wont reveal the horsepower figures so I doubt anyone has torque numbers, at least not yet. I suspect we will not see these numbers until Ford lets the magazine writers actually drive the car.

Steve

+1, that car's engine is a long way from reality I think, lots left to do.

Just wondering, can a flat crank work in a vintage block ie: 1968 302?

Nope, it would never balance. Ford hasn't disclosed how they managed to balance such a large displacement FPC engine. It is expected that is partly through external systems including special mounts. I'm sure it will make for some interesting SAE papers. People have asked if the Voodoo will be available as a crate motor. Some say that it won't because of the issues of installing it are not trivial.

• 2 months later...

I just wish someone would hurry up and try to put a blower on one. I'm curious what it will really do.

Lethal Performance has that covered. As soon as there's comes in it has a Whipple waiting on it.

You think Ford will offer this in a Crate Engine?

It was hinted early on that it was unlikely at least in the short term. There are many challenges in balancing the large displacement FPC engine, and Ford indicated some of the secret sauce was external to the engine itself.

It was hinted early on that it was unlikely at least in the short term. There are many challenges in balancing the large displacement FPC engine, and Ford indicated some of the secret sauce was external to the engine itself.

Secret Sauce? I doubt that because these engines are very much designed after Ferrari's engines and that's no secret

Besides, 'if you build it, they will come'... look at how well the Coyote has been selling in crate form

Secret Sauce? I doubt that because these engines are very much designed after Ferrari's engines and that's no secret

Besides, 'if you build it, they will come'... look at how well the Coyote has been selling in crate form

This is the largest displacement flat plane crank ever.

From the SAE article:

What followed was, in Nair’s words, “a lot of stiffening of the cylinder block, exhaust system, and various brackets” achieved through an intense FEA analysis, plus “a lot of tuning.” Nair said the result yielded unique torsional-damping technology among other patent-pending actions aimed at taming the beast.

[emphasis added] Those are not parts so without some model for the external "helpers" the engine will shake you to death.

Most people think of a crate engine as "pull the old one out and drop in a new one". This engine has additional requirements. It wouldn't be good to offer a component and then have a huge failure rate because it isn't installed properly.

Archived