TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Gt350R - What Do You Think?

Sorry guys,,,,,,,I like everything about the car.

As for the SA offering, twin turbos would make sense.

Or a blower.

Then you have the best of both track worlds. 1/4 mile and road course.

As for the color, I like it but am biased towards white with blue stripes.

I see I am not the only one who does not care for the wing. I do understand why their is a need for one, but does not flow well with the car. I would rather buy the street GT350, the 45th anniversary even better, but the 65 GT350/350R- a dream! In short, I am not impressed with the design of both new cars that were debut. Please respect my opinion for I will respect all of yours.

Sorry guys,,,,,,,I like everything about the car.

As for the SA offering, twin turbos would make sense.

Or a blower.

Then you have the best of both track worlds. 1/4 mile and road course.

As for the color, I like it but am biased towards white with blue stripes.

I think Ford left the turbo's off this engine for a reason, not sure it is the best platform for force induction but we will see. SAI could do some body, interior, suspension, wheel/tire and minor performance upgrades but it is pretty strong right off the showroom at this point, not sure much of a market for significant changes.

yeah, tacking on a supercharger/turbos and all of the necessary plumbing undermines the whole point of the car and adds all kinds of problems to the equation... heat, weight, balance of power with other components. that would be a mistake in my opinion, but i'm sure there are plenty of people out there who don't understand all that and will try it anyway.

Wing makes it look like a tuner car, but otherwise gorgeous. They should have just used an adjustable racing wing like they use in IMSA.

I hate the rear end of the new mustang and the GT350 really looks attractive and like many of you that "CS" rear wing just seems a bit much. I would imagine though its function is spot on and well ive always been told fit form and function before beauty but It just looks out of place. Maybe if it was color matched it would blend better.

wing or not, it looks pretty wicked. that shade of blue is gorgeous. my question is... how in the hell is Shelby American going to improve upon this?? there's no more meat on that bone. unless SAI tries to re-stripe it, badge it and throw on a supercharger (which would ruin the whole intent).

Umm....using standard formula- Drop a 100lb blower right on top of the engine that requires removal of original factory designed structural reinforcement (STB); heavier hood made of out of date material that will require 4 (5?) generational changes; use taller, heavier, rather narrow wheels which take only a very, very narrow selection of tires and can't handle the added hp and lower gearing, require removal of a factory brake performance part, and will only be available for a few years; use expensive to make and replace carbon fiber accent pieces that offer no real added performance advantages, are damaged in normal use and require periodic replacements which will only be available from SPP but they will be out of the part for months on end since its made by third party; and lots and LOTS of branded bits around and inside the car. Charge a premium, offer no substitutes or changes (until later model years), offer the same package but with special edition badges or stripes for more money from time to time, and call it a day. I would mention some other ideas but some might label me a too much of a fan boi. :whistling::hide:

Guest markham51

To start, I really love the color. I like the way Ford is getting really serious about properly engineering Mustangs (and its performance variants) the way GM is now doing a better job on the Corvette. I still plan to buy the 350, the R is a race car and I don't race. Well done FORD!. I like the wing...it says "I am serious about performance"...get out of my way:):):)

Umm....using standard formula- Drop a 100lb blower right on top of the engine that requires removal of original factory designed structural reinforcement (STB); heavier hood made of out of date material that will require 4 (5?) generational changes; use taller, heavier, rather narrow wheels which take only a very, very narrow selection of tires and can't handle the added hp and lower gearing, require removal of a factory brake performance part, and will only be available for a few years; use expensive to make and replace carbon fiber accent pieces that offer no real added performance advantages, are damaged in normal use and require periodic replacements which will only be available from SPP but they will be out of the part for months on end since its made by third party; and lots and LOTS of branded bits around and inside the car. Charge a premium, offer no substitutes or changes (until later model years), offer the same package but with special edition badges or stripes for more money from time to time, and call it a day. I would mention some other ideas but some might label me a too much of a fan boi. :whistling::hide:

i can't say i disagree. all are very valid points that a lot of folks seem to overlook. however, there is some value in what Shelby American has done and is still doing. lots of negatives, for sure, but overall i still think the positives outweigh those. if nothing else, they have taken a lot of the guesswork out of the customization/modification of modern-day mustangs, providing tons of "best of breed" parts to improve everything from performance to appearance. more importantly, for better or worse, the brand still carries some weight with enthusiasts. shelby american-modded cars seem to be retaining value at a better rate than the average non-shelby american cars. i don't know if the trend will continue, but that seems to be the case right now anyway. again, that's why i pose that question. the SVT team and now the performance group have gotten hip to the game and are offering things that the aftermarket cannot (significant engineering changes). they are getting better at producing a complete performance vehicle with looks and ability so it will be interesting to see how Shelby American can add value.

Nice design despite the lack of model name side stripes and minimal Shelby badging. It would have been cooler to have a mechanical wing that was embedded on the trunk lid and lifted as needed at speed. :cool:

Would be cool, but not allowed in the race series. That doesn't mean that it can't be done on the street car, but the wings in Continental series must be factory and must be fixed. They cannot be mechanical in any way. There are a couple cars in ST which do this, but all of the mechanical mechanism must be removed and they must be fixed in the up position. That pretty much makes them asthetically not very pleasing, and starts interrupting some flow of air with the no longer smooth surface etc.

At first I didn't like the new body style as it reminded me too much of the 90's Mustangs - too round. But now the body style is growing me. But I really like this 350R, except for the wing. Yes, definitely love the color and wish it had silver or light gray stripes instead of the black but hopefully it's an option. I like what someone suggested in making the wing part of the deck lid and raise when needed. Or, maybe make it removable so it can be installed on track day.

I think SA can do lots, such as many mentioned above, but also install the 130# worth of items not installed at Ford (AC, rear seat...) rather than have Ford add them at delivery.

This is not the race car. That will be coming later. In what form, I don't know. This would be more on the lines of the old Cobra R models

Appearance wise however, this will look pretty much exactly like the race car from the outside. But yep, the name of the race car is yet to be announced. Should be soon however.

wing or not, it looks pretty wicked. that shade of blue is gorgeous. my question is... how in the hell is Shelby American going to improve upon this?? there's no more meat on that bone. unless SAI tries to re-stripe it, badge it and throw on a supercharger (which would ruin the whole intent).

Well Shelby American did just what you said. However this new Shelby GT looks pretty cool.

Well the wing on the GT 350R isn't as big as the wing on the last R mustang. 2000 SVT R wing was like a super bird almost.

I'm sure this Mustang is great probably top to bottom the best looking and best performing ever. However, we ALL will have to wait for the 1:18 diecast unless you're an established racing team and or have Jay Leno's pockets because my guess is you will buy the GT350R direct from FORD

I'm sure this Mustang is great probably top to bottom the best looking and best performing ever. However, we ALL will have to wait for the 1:18 diecast unless you're an established racing team and or have Jay Leno's pockets because my guess is you will buy the GT350R direct from FORD

That will not be quite how it works with the GT350R. The GT350R is a street car that will have a VIN number and be purchased through dealers. Race teams will not be buying the GT350R. The race GT350 will be a complete different car with no vin number and fully built with a cage an no interior, just like the previous Boss302R and S, and previous FR500C and S race cars which were purchased through Ford Racing Parts.

Archived