TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Let's Go Racin, Boys

RUFDRAFT

Here's the deal.

I stopped by my Ford service dept this afternoon, to catch up with my buds.

They've talked me into taking my car to the drag strip a week from Thursday.

My only experience is on the street.

I really don't want to embarass myself in front of these guys.

Any tips on: launching (rpm's - how to read the tree) - shifting - or staging - tire pressures - etc. - would be appreciated.

It's a Test & Tune night, so there won't be any stress from who lines up with me.

The techs feel like my car should break into the 12's. (no pressure there!)

I'm not going to buy any DR's until I see how competent I am.

A little voice inside me is warning me not to do this. It's saying, "You're going to get hooked on this and end up spending more to go faster".....

Thanks

Ruf

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have enough experience driving vehicles with a manual transmission. You won't embarass yourself, as long as your expectations aren't too high. I say you should go find a lonely stretch of road and practice some hard launches. Vary your launch RPMs and see what feels best to you. Once you're rolling down the track, it's all a matter of how quickly you can shift.

You'll do fine.

Oh, drop you rear tire pressure to around 25 psi when you get out on that lonely stretch of road.

Have fun with it.

That's a good idea. I don't normally launch hard on the street.

Okay - practice launches - and 25 psi - check.

Now - one of main concerns is the tree.

I realize I probably shouldn't wait for the green light.

So - is it launch time when the last yellow lights? To compensate for reaction time?

So - is it launch time when the last yellow lights? To compensate for reaction time?

I'm no expert, but it will depend on the tree you get. If you get the standard tree, then yes...launch on the last yellow. We got a pro tree in St. Louis...no yellow lights....confused me. Goes from staged to green...whammo!

If you have street tires, probably want to avoid the water box...it will get in the tread and make your tires slippery. Do your burnout on dry pavement if possible. Not sure what RPM to launch at...you'll have to experiment...but maybe start around 3,500 or so when you practice and see if it bogs down....then increase if needed. Take the 4 cases of Cheez Whiz out of your trunk and go with about a 1/4 tank of fuel also :rant: . Good luck!

I'm no expert, but it will depend on the tree you get. If you get the standard tree, then yes...launch on the last yellow. We got a pro tree in St. Louis...no yellow lights....confused me. Goes from staged to green...whammo!

If you have street tires, probably want to avoid the water box...it will get in the tread and make your tires slippery. Do your burnout on dry pavement if possible. Not sure what RPM to launch at...you'll have to experiment...but maybe start around 3,500 or so when you practice and see if it bogs down....then increase if needed. Take the 4 cases of Cheez Whiz out of your trunk and go with about a 1/4 tank of fuel also :rant: . Good luck!

It's a standard tree. So - looks like launch on the last one! And - good advice on the water box - makes sense. Wifey may give a green light for DR's if I do well.

Cheese Wiz: See comment above. :hysterical2:

If you're just going for time and not to beat another car, it doesn't matter when you leave after the light turns green. Your clock doesn't start until you go.

Thanks, Mark. I hadn't thought about playing with the throttle on launch. I'm not sure I have that sort of hp to worry about that - but I'll try it in practice launches!

150 - good point. At this stage, I just want seat time. Not worrying about the tree will make that easier!

Don't feel to pressured by these guys expectations of 12's. I don't know what all you've done to your car but it's hard to get a GT500 in the 12's on stock tires if you've not been before. If you do get in the 12's without drag radials you should feel proud. That's a fast street car.

Thanks - here's what I've done. (this is my sheet I use at car shows)

The Rufstang

(2007 Ford Mustang GT)

Show

*Painted mirrors, window trim, and GT fender emblem removal by Classic Auto Body - Washington NC – 252.946.4693 * Billet grilles by Cervini Auto Designs * Rear spoiler by Classic Design Concepts * Engine compartment dress-up by Ford Racing & Roush * Sylvania Silverstar headlights/Stealth marker light bulbs * ¼ Window louvers by www.silverhorseracing.com * Window tint by Professional Window Tinting/Greenville NC * Shine by Zaino (www.zainostore.com) * body striping by Hudson Signs/Washington NC * Hydraulic hood props by Redlinetuning.com * Sequential rear signals by Webelectrics.com

Go

Stage III Comp cams/springs * SCT dyno-tune by Fastlane Motorsports/Benson NC (Caleb is the Tuner!) * Ford racing: headers & 4:10 gears * Eibach Sportline Springs * Hawk ceramic brakes * Steeda pulleys and adjustable UCA * Kazera 18’s – 8.5 f / 9.5 r * BFG KDW’s – 245’s and 285’s * BBK Throttle body * C&L CAI * Hurst short throw shifter * Bassani SS Race exhaust.

Engine/Drivetrain work by George “Super Tech” Hopkins – Pecheles Ford - Washington

Owner: Bryan Oesterreich – Washington NC

DAILY DRIVER!

Thoughts??

post-4913-1181097958_thumb.jpg

post-4913-1181097958_thumb.jpg

If your over 50 you should launch just as you see last two yellows. (Only trying to help)

Ruf

As everyone said your car can do 12s stock but it takes practice. I hope you do it first time out. If so you are a better driver than me. I never got mine into the 12s stock (5 tries) but I know several who have so it is a good goal. I think track prep has alot to do with it as well so hope you are going to a good track.

When you practice make sure you dedicate some time and test several things...

Launch at various RPMs.

Launch with TCS on and off.

Launch dumping the clutch and easing off it.

With a combination of the above you could be wear out a set of tire trying to find the best combo. Once thing to definately remember though is that if you find yourself smoking the tires let off and get traction and try not to break loose again. It you go full throttle through all gears burning up the tires then you will end up with 15 second times (happened to me on first pass). The car has the power, it is all about how you apply it.

The key is to make your launch aggressive but not so much that you smoke them and not so little that you bog down. Both will wreak havok on your 0-60 times. With this car it is all about the launch. From my personal experience it is not as easy as it looks. Go in cautiously optimistic so you aren't crushed if you don't make it... but if you do you should stand tall and smile because it is an accomplishment.

Go get em tiger!

Thanks - here's what I've done. (this is my sheet I use at car shows)

The Rufstang

(2007 Ford Mustang GT)

Show

*Painted mirrors, window trim, and GT fender emblem removal by Classic Auto Body - Washington NC – 252.946.4693 * Billet grilles by Cervini Auto Designs * Rear spoiler by Classic Design Concepts * Engine compartment dress-up by Ford Racing & Roush * Sylvania Silverstar headlights/Stealth marker light bulbs * ¼ Window louvers by www.silverhorseracing.com * Window tint by Professional Window Tinting/Greenville NC * Shine by Zaino (www.zainostore.com) * body striping by Hudson Signs/Washington NC * Hydraulic hood props by Redlinetuning.com * Sequential rear signals by Webelectrics.com

Go

Stage III Comp cams/springs * SCT dyno-tune by Fastlane Motorsports/Benson NC (Caleb is the Tuner!) * Ford racing: headers & 4:10 gears * Eibach Sportline Springs * Hawk ceramic brakes * Steeda pulleys and adjustable UCA * Kazera 18’s – 8.5 f / 9.5 r * BFG KDW’s – 245’s and 285’s * BBK Throttle body * C&L CAI * Hurst short throw shifter * Bassani SS Race exhaust.

Engine/Drivetrain work by George “Super Tech” Hopkins – Pecheles Ford - Washington

Owner: Bryan Oesterreich – Washington NC

DAILY DRIVER!

Thoughts??

Ruf

you have done an awesome job on your car

it is beautiful, great custom look

good luck at the track

grow some testies and hat a track with turns...

I'll be heading out to Atco on 7/18. Will have plenty of time slips as we rented the track for the day. Basically, stock wheels and tires, 93 octang tune by Brenspeed, Steeda UDPs and Roush rear springs (which if anything, will make my times worse by maybe a tenth... less squat capability). Hoping for 13.29 or better. Will not turn my nose up at 13.50s though.

Okay. I'm going tomorrow night!

I'll post time slips when I get home.

These BFG's really grip.

A few more practice launches tomorrow afternoon.

I tried a couple at 2500 and very little wheelspin.

I'll try a couple more tomorrow at 3k and see what happens.!

56 years-old and first time at a drag strip! :hysterical2:

These BFG's really grip.

Is anyone going with you to get a pic of this first timer for you?

These BFG's really grip.

Thats hard to believe.(56 & never, never been down the strip)

Hey `Ruf ` don`t go flying by the return lane . GOOD LUCK

Any spin at the first - second shift?

Mark - when I had the 19" Toyos on, I used to get sideways hitting 2nd gear. With these 18" KDW's - I get a chirp.

I used to spin all through 1st with the Toyo's - and now only get a few feet of spin.

Remarkable difference.

Thats hard to believe.(56 & never, never been down the strip)

Hey `Ruf ` don`t go flying by the return lane . GOOD LUCK

Thanks! I think Paul Newman won an SCCA Championship in his '60s!

Tomorrow night, I'm not going to worry about the tree - just launching at the green. And - I've got some buds from the Ford store for support!

I'll post the slips regardless of the times!

Is anyone going with you to get a pic of this first timer for you?

Hi Grabber - Yes, I'll have someone take a few. I'll try to borrow a video cam from the College, too! So y'all can watch me miss 3rd! :hysterical2:

Archived