TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Barrett-Jackson 40Th

40th's are tricky at auction right now. You have to have at least two knowledgeable buyers who want it. Pretty risky for the seller. Not sure that lot number will be at a very prime time of the auction. Hope for the best!

Time is important too. This looks to be Thursday (not a prime day) and late in the day and right on the edge of being after the main crowd leaves.

You can always tell how much BJ thinks a car will go for by the day and time it crosses the block.

Interesting!

40th's are tricky at auction right now. You have to have at least two knowledgeable buyers who want it. Pretty risky for the seller. Not sure that lot number will be at a very prime time of the auction. Hope for the best!

Knowledgable buyers, which there are not many of....

I hope the seller gets every penny, big risk on a no reserve, and not ideal time slot, hope he has a strong stomach and wallet to match...

Agree. Time ran out. I watched via Velocity Channel live stream (no commercials). The car sold hammer price $45,000 = $49,500 with fees. Good buy for someone on the web. Hopefully it is a TS member.

IMO, not a great time of the day for the car to go across. I know they can't run them all at the perfect time. But the outcome can be effected just the same as poor officiating in the NFL.

I believe at least with Mecum, the (approximate) sale slot can pe purchased when registering the vehicle for the auction. i would assume B/J is simular.

Steve Davis makes the decision as to where the cars are placed. They do have "timed" lots as well but in general he makes the call.

I was there and it seemed like a pretty good time although maybe a little late. We could have got in a bid at 46K but didn't pull the trigger for some reason. Could have helped my own cause...

Steve Davis makes the decision as to where the cars are placed. They do have "timed" lots as well but in general he makes the call.

I was there and it seemed like a pretty good time although maybe a little late. We could have got in a bid at 46K but didn't pull the trigger for some reason. Could have helped my own cause...

I think Gary Bennett has more influence on slotting.

They stated at the beginning of almost every "session" that they were going to keep quite an accelerated pace. They had to fit a lot of cars in on Saturday (which took a pause in the normal sequence for the Salon selection and the rest of the Pratte collection). They specifically stated "we don't want people who anticpate a time getting pushed over the collection cars. Case in point was when 08SGT2228 (my previous Shelby GT that we donated to the Shelby Foundation) crossed, Steve Davis started his usual "in 2008 Ford, Shelby and Barrett-", he didn't even get "Jackson" out before the auctioneer abruptly cut him off something like "we have a schedule" and started the bidding.

They stated at the beginning of almost every "session" that they were going to keep quite an accelerated pace. They had to fit a lot of cars in on Saturday (which took a pause in the normal sequence for the Salon selection and the rest of the Pratte collection). They specifically stated "we don't want people who anticpate a time getting pushed over the collection cars. Case in point was when 08SGT2228 (my previous Shelby GT that we donated to the Shelby Foundation) crossed, Steve Davis started his usual "in 2008 Ford, Shelby and Barrett-", he didn't even get "Jackson" out before the auctioneer abruptly cut him off something like "we have a schedule" and started the bidding.

This is not what my friend was told when they were "slotting' his car. Steve Davis was personally and directly involved.

Nope, Steve Davis is the main man. I've been told this numerous times while consigning cars. The auctioneer would never intentionally cut off Steve Davis to keep on schedule. The auctioneers do what they are told. They are hired by Barrett-Jackson and work at BJ's discretion.

Well, GB's card says he is "VP of Consignment" and we worked together on my car. Craig, Steve and Gary were all in the initial teleconference but after that Gary was my contact. Just saying how it worked for me. Your experience may be different.

I videoed it and watched it twice. He was cut off, maybe it was by someone else on the stage (Craig?) but none the less he did not get to finish the usual Barrett-Jackson Shelby GT speel.

The 40th vert at Russo sold the next day for $45,100. Crazy, at the last Russo auction they sold a coupe for $59,995. Guess it truly depends if you have bidders and how bad they want it. The difference I saw from the two sold last week vs. the coupe sold at the previous Russo auction was the listing. The two last week were lacking any details of the exclusiveness of the cars. I would have for sure said limited to 312 total cars and the black coupe was 1 of 39 to start with. Sometimes cars need a little help selling them, especially since the majority of car enthusiast don't know that the 40th package exists.

Well, GB's card says he is "VP of Consignment" and we worked together on my car. Craig, Steve and Gary were all in the initial teleconference but after that Gary was my contact. Just saying how it worked for me. Your experience may be different.

I videoed it and watched it twice. He was cut off, maybe it was by someone else on the stage (Craig?) but none the less he did not get to finish the usual Barrett-Jackson Shelby GT speel.

Whatever

Archived