TEAM SHELBY FORUM

This Could Be A Great Track Car For Someone...................

David  Hawkins 6722

Kind of neat, I can't say I've ever seen a Cobra R just driving around town......well, you know what I mean.

But I think that price is reflective of someone who has to convince the buyer that its extremely collectible, because even though the miles are ridiculously low its 2015 and that's a 2000 it would need work to keep up with other cars. Yes, its already an incredibly fast car, and you don't have to worry about the looks of the radio antenna, but its not as collectible as they make it sound.

As a track car, Id have no clue. It may take very little money to make it a killer track car, or it may take a lot, but right now I think a lot of track enthusiasts would rather opt for the Boss302S at this kind of money.

Thanks for showing it though.
I better throw this in there: Don't get me wrong, the Cobra R is an iconic monster of a Mustang that is generally regarded as one of the best handling Mustangs you can get - not that I would know - but I question if it is $57K collectible.

Edited by Helix

Not a bad deal on a basically brand new 2000 Cobra R, but probably not the best idea to take a 300 mile 2000 Cobra R and spend a ton on it to make it fully track ready when you can buy something like this. Turn key Boss302R with many spares for quite a bit less money. And this is a TS member's car. Now this is a great track car:

StacyAI_zpsbd04e1a0.jpg

Edited by JeffJ

Kind of neat, I can't say I've ever seen a Cobra R just driving around town......well, you know what I mean.

But I think that price is reflective of someone who has to convince the buyer that its extremely collectible, because even though the miles are ridiculously low its 2015 and that's a 2000 it would need work to keep up with other cars. Yes, its already an incredibly fast car, and you don't have to worry about the looks of the radio antenna, but its not as collectible as they make it sound.

As a track car, Id have no clue. It may take very little money to make it a killer track car, or it may take a lot, but right now I think a lot of track enthusiasts would rather opt for the Boss302S at this kind of money.

Thanks for showing it though.

I better throw this in there: Don't get me wrong, the Cobra R is an iconic monster of a Mustang that is generally regarded as one of the best handling Mustangs you can get - not that I would know - but I question if it is $57K collectible.

Considering they only built 300 of them, it's collectible.

Not a bad deal on a basically brand new 2000 Cobra R, but probably not the best idea to take a 300 mile 2000 Cobra R and spend a ton on it to make it fully track ready when you can buy something like this. Turn key Boss302R with many spares for quite a bit less money. And this is a TS member's car. Now this is a great track car:

StacyAI_zpsbd04e1a0.jpg

Is that Car Street Legal?

There were two for sale at the Mecum Auction in Kissimmee two years ago. This may be one of the cars. One had like 300 miles and the other around 900 or so miles. One bid to $39K and the other just over $40K. One still had all the plastic on the seats and carpet and advertised it still had it's original factory warrantee since it had never been titled. These cars were also street legal.

602943_4278030435217_591619410_n.jpg?oh=

601181_4278029035182_1985025457_n.jpg?oh

735134_4278029635197_1028501696_n.jpg?oh

556397_4278029595196_1103456876_n.jpg?oh

316905_4278029275188_1735481499_n.jpg?oh

+1 to both this and the BOSS 302R. The Cobra R is really interesting (and I have seen several of them running on track at Ponies on the Plains), but I think for the money, not that I have any, I would rather have one of the other two.

Mark

BUT......You can DRIVE the Cobra R on the Street.

Sure, but you titled this thread "Track Car" :cool: Once you properly cage and outfit a car for track use, rarely does it make it back to the street. Sure, there's a bunch of guys that run their street cars and such at HPDE events or similar, but once that bug bites hard enough to where you want a "track car", a proper cage, stripped out interior, racing brakes, etc. make street use pretty difficult, not impossible but difficult. I tried that once many years ago with my daily driver and before you know it.....

ASMustang.jpg

Edited by JeffJ

The Cobra R was one heck of a car in its day, but it's "old". A street 2015 Mustang GT would probably beat it in performance and handling, and like Jeff says, a Boss 302 of almost any flavor can be had for the same price that will cream it. Collector status for this car is years away. It's a shame people buy cars like this, salt them away, and expect to fund their retirement in 10 or 15 years... They'd be much better in almost any mutual fund.

Sure, but you titled this thread "Track Car" :cool: Once you properly cage and outfit a car for track use, rarely does it make it back to the street. Sure, there's a bunch of guys that run their street cars and such at HPDE events or similar, but once that bug bites hard enough to where you want a "track car", a proper cage, stripped out interior, racing brakes, etc. make street use pretty difficult, not impossible but difficult. I tried that once many years ago with my daily driver and before you know it.....

ASMustang.jpg

I've never heard of such a crazy notion as this ! :lol:

But I sure do like the sounds of it .........

Boogity, boogity, boogity.... let's go racing!